Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Cell Phone Recommendations Please
pnoon 10:03 PM 06-01-2009
The time has come for me to upgrade my phone. I am a Verizon customer and am renewing my 2 year contract.

I'm willing to listen to all feedback (pro & con) about which phone to get flip phone, touch screen, Blackberry.

I don't text much and don't really plan to get a data plan for web access. But I would like to have a qwerty keyboard should the need arise.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:20 PM 06-01-2009
I use a Palm Centro and its works great for me. It's a "Smart Phone", but small enough to keep in my pocket if I choose. No flip, has a key pad, easy to sync to your computer, takes pictures/video, keeps all my appointments etc.
It's basically a small palm pilot that makes phone calls. Hope that helps a little.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 10:40 PM 06-01-2009
wait till Jan. Supposedly the Iphone will be coming to verizons network. Other than that Maybe the BB curve.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 11:15 PM 06-01-2009

:-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 11:20 PM 06-01-2009
You can check out phonescoop.com and do a search by service provider and read reviews of phones available. These people write cell phone reviews like we write cigar reviews. I used it for my last 3 phones and have been happy with my choices. Currently I have an LG Voyager I'm happy with it but when it's time to upgrade I'll get something smaller.
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:11 AM 06-02-2009
I have a Blackberry Curve with Verizon and I love it. I highly recommend it :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:24 AM 06-02-2009
I love my "Crack Berry".
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:02 AM 06-02-2009
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
wait till Jan. Supposedly the Iphone will be coming to verizons network.
doubtful, this has been a rumor for 2 years now. Just for kicks I ask people all the time if they heard anything abotu VZW getting the IP and they all say "oh yeah they are!". Then i ask friends (and family) that work for verizon and they tell me "not a shot". The reality of it is that apple is/once considered maiking a phone that is similar to the iphone for VZW. But still, no molten composites are hitting molds anytime soon. But i dont want to burst anyone's bubble so... Hey guys, did you hear that Verizon might ("might" being a word thats been hanging in limbo for over 2 years now) be getting the iphone???

Movng on:

I have used a Voyager (LG VX1000) since it came out 2+ years ago.

it has the touchscreen outside which is fun for a while, but it opens up to the qwerty board on the inside if need be and you get tired of the touchscreen. someone up ^^^ mentioned that they want something smaller than the voyager... with that "compacting of size" comes a loss of features (like a qwerty keyboard) so caveat emptor.

I have considered the LG Dare, it stinks because its only touch screen and although decently accurate... it will frustrate you.. I have considered the BB Storm and that phone is just plain terrible, a complete letdown. Both of these phones would have been free to me, all i would have to do is swap them at the store and still i did not choose either.

The only other phones i would consider leaving the Voyager for would be the Blackberry Curve and maybe (strong and iffy maybe) the LG ENV2. My obvious phone choice is the iphone (even though its all touch too), but i will never leave verizon so that is out.

dont get sidewinded by all the new touchscreen "tweener" phones, they are all just knockoffs of already knocked-off iphones. Best thing to do is go to Verizon and play with all of them.

Cliffs notes:

My top 3 best
1. LG voyager
2. BB Curve
3. LG ENV2

My top 3 letdowns
1. BB storm
2. LG Dare
3. BB pearl

then again, read my sig....

- Bobby
[Reply]
Lensjockie 06:25 AM 06-02-2009
blackberries have an additional surcharge that even if you dont want the service Verizon tacks that ontop of your regular phone charge. you'll be paying about 100 bucks a month.
Just a heads up. The crackberry is nice if you have to be able to check email on the fly.
A regular phone with internet access will still give you access to webmail.

lensjockie-Crackberry addict since 2005
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:00 AM 06-02-2009
I have the LG Dare and love it. Its a full touch screen, nice and compact and slim, and looks pretty cool. It has internet capabilities if you would like it.
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:11 AM 06-02-2009
I have a BB Curve and love it. Might be overkill if your not into texting or surfing CA. It is nice however to be able to surf CA while watching a hockey game for example without having to have your laptop on your lap. I use it for quick, short replies and wait till I'm back on my laptop for anything that is a bit long winded.

Hope you find one that meets your needs.
[Reply]
rack04 07:20 AM 06-02-2009
wait till Jan. Supposedly the Iphone will be coming to verizons network. Other than that Maybe the BB curve.
AT&T has a contract with Apple for the iPhone that goes through 2010.
[Reply]
poker 07:33 AM 06-02-2009
Although the Blackberry phones are great, it dosent sound like you would make use of its capabilities & it would be overkill for what you are looking for in a phone.

The LG NV3 or something like it might be a better choice.
[Reply]
The Professor 07:37 AM 06-02-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
Although the Blackberry phones are great, it dosent sound like you would make use of its capabilities & it would be overkill for what you are looking for in a phone.

The LG NV3 or something like it might be a better choice.
Funny ... I was going to post almost exactly the same thing.

I love my BB, Peter; but it's overkill for you and you'd end up paying too much. Lot of people I know like their NV# models quite a bit. It's a smart phone; but not a "smartphone," so they shouldn't require the special data plans.

Good luck, bro!
[Reply]
floydpink 09:14 AM 06-02-2009
I heard the same thing yesterday about Iphone soon to be going to include Verizon as well as rolling out some new stuff at a large Apple trade show coming up.
[Reply]
King James 09:22 AM 06-02-2009
If you want a touch screen but don't need a smart phone, the LG Dare or Versa could work. Although the lack of any physical keyboard could cause some headaches. The versa comes with a detachable keyboard I guess, but not sure how practical that is
[Reply]
ir13 09:28 AM 06-02-2009
Verizon's touch screen devices are more of a PITA that they are worth IMO.

If you would like to have a QWERTY keyboard should the need arise of you txting or whatnot, I would recommend getting the ENV2 or or ENV3 whichever is out when you decide to upgrade. Both my parents and grandmother have this phone and love it BTW.

A blackberry is nice, but you will have to pay $30 more a month for a data plan if you choose that route, and if you dont plan on using the internet, its a waste of money IMO.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 05:13 PM 06-02-2009
For what you are looking to have in a phone, I still think the LG Dare is a good choice. The touchscreen keyboard works fine IMO, I have yet to have any problems with it. Its a sleek looking phone, just doesnt have all the bells and whistles of a blackberry.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 09:55 PM 06-02-2009
By the end of this week Verizon is supposed to carry the new LG Versa, does everything IPhone does and actually never drops a signal (its Verizon after all). I am waiting to renew my contract as well and will most likely buy this one.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 10:01 PM 06-02-2009
I just have to say...I've had verizon for 5 years, and they just continue to piss me off more and more. If my contract was coming up... I'D SWITCH!

Just my :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up