Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Ties suck
Silound 10:41 AM 05-30-2009
Yeah, topic says it all. Why on Earth do I need to have a silly archaic piece of cloth tied around my neck like a noose is beyond me.

To be fair, I'm only ranting because, even after wearing a tie day to day for 2 years, I still can't tie one the first try, it always takes me 2-3 attempts to get it perfect :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 10:55 AM 05-30-2009
Originally Posted by Silound:
Yeah, topic says it all. Why on Earth do I need to have a silly archaic piece of cloth tied around my neck like a noose is beyond me.

To be fair, I'm only ranting because, even after wearing a tie day to day for 2 years, I still can't tie one the first try, it always takes me 2-3 attempts to get it perfect :-)
I hear ya. I wore a tie every day for asa long as I can remember. I decided to go more casual for my current position and nobody is making a peep since I'm at the top of the sales ladder. I still put one on occasionally when meeting with a new client.

MCS
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 11:00 AM 05-30-2009
Its funny how people have completely different reactions to the same thing. I'm one of those guys that wears a shirt and tie to work not because I have to, but because I like wearing a tie.

I know, all my coworkers think I'm weird as well LOL.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 11:02 AM 05-30-2009
Suit and tie job. Told the wife that if I die before her and she buries me in a tie, I'm coming back to haunt her. Can't stand the thought of spending enternity in a tie.
[Reply]
White97Jimmy 11:06 AM 05-30-2009
Go work for Google, t-shirt and jeans is the dress code!
[Reply]
Opusfxd 11:18 AM 05-30-2009
I gave up ties for Lent many years ago. Now I'm just trying to figure out how sitting in my little cloth box of a cube wearing Dockers makes me more productive or turn out better work.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 11:33 AM 05-30-2009
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Its funny how people have completely different reactions to the same thing. I'm one of those guys that wears a shirt and tie to work not because I have to, but because I like wearing a tie.

I genuinely enjoy neckties. I don't have a lot of necessity for them, but I do think they're rad...
[Reply]
JE3146 12:01 PM 05-30-2009
I wear shorts and a t-shirt....

Being an engineer has its perks :-)
[Reply]
acarr 12:38 PM 05-30-2009
Shorts, t-shirt and some teva's. My boss can be a real jerk:-)
[Reply]
Wondering Nomad 05:39 PM 05-30-2009
Suit and tie guy for 7 years now. I miss the dot com days when it was cargo shorts and t-shirts. The job wouldn't be so bad if we could just go business casual.
[Reply]
Rockestone 05:57 PM 05-30-2009
Not required but I do wear a tie most days. I just think it better represents the company I work for.
[Reply]
Beagleone 06:07 PM 05-30-2009
I hate ties. I had to wear one almost every day I worked for the brown army. Even during the hot summers in the warehouse!!! 100 degrees outside, 115 degrees inside. Wasn't pleasant and I ruined plenty of good ties there. Now, I prefer casual business dress, but my boss is old school. So when he is around the office (once or twice a month) I wear a tie, otherwise they stay hanging in the closest door.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 06:51 PM 05-30-2009
Never a fan. I can get used to a jacket. Hell even throw in a collar but please dont make me wear a tie.
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:46 PM 05-30-2009
I can't wear one without fitzing with it all day. I continualy pull it tight, make sure the knot is straight...you know the deal. I don't have to wear one at work and if I did, I'd have OCD. :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:59 PM 05-30-2009
I wore ties for years. While I don't mind putting one on occasionally for a formal event, that's it. If I ever decide to go back to work, it would have to be somewhere with an informal dress code. No more ties for me.

The nice thing about being retired is that the definition of formal wear has pretty much become shoes with laces. :-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 09:07 PM 05-30-2009

I am the same way. I get excited when I get to put on a suit and tie for job interviews. I love getting dressed to the 9s
[Reply]
Fumes 09:30 PM 05-30-2009
I had a biology teacher who used to say that everything that has a form has a function. He always made a point of tugging on his tie and saying, "Except this."

But a mean old bolo tie with a turquoise encrusted steer skull always makes an impression.
[Reply]
BillyCigars 09:45 PM 05-30-2009

I too, wear a suit and tie every day. I own my own business, so I mostly do it because A.) I'm so used to it from being a 7 year veteran of Wall Street, and B.) because I like to :-)

I know it sounds strange but being my own boss, I tend to go out of my way to dress up just because I *can*. :-)
[Reply]
ActionAndy 12:34 AM 05-31-2009
Originally Posted by BillyCigars:
I too, wear a suit and tie every day. I own my own business, so I mostly do it because A.) I'm so used to it from being a 7 year veteran of Wall Street, and B.) because I like to :-)

I know it sounds strange but being my own boss, I tend to go out of my way to dress up just because I *can*. :-)

I'm trying to listen to the new Robert Palmer tape...but Evelyn, my supposed fiancée, keeps buzzing in my ear...
[Reply]
SmokinDuck 02:20 AM 05-31-2009
Originally Posted by Silound:

After 15 years you get used to it and generally you come to look at others that should be wearing one and aren't as lacking. Probably just the way I was brought up though.

Times are a changing and things are a bit to casual now a days for my tastes. It's hard to take a "professional" seriously when he is wearing blue jeans, a polo shirt and flip flops.

I should add that I have around 50 or so ties. I look on them as wearable art.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up