Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Illusione Epernay Gran Corona
Rockestone 01:56 PM 05-23-2009
Well Matt from Tex Cigars has sent me another batch of stogies to review and all I can is thank you. When he sends cigars to review, they are always well worth my time. Today I'm reviewing the Illusione Epernay Gran Corona. It measures in at 6 x 46. Don Giolito, owner of Illusione Cigars, named this cigar after the Epernay region in France....which is the area that bottles, stores and sells Champagne. Don thought these cigars would go great with Champagne. I think this cigar will go great with a Bud Light.

The cigar is all Nicaraquan tobacco. It lit fine and showed an immediate burst of spice. This, however, only lasted for a breif moment. Then it quickly mellowed. It had a great draw from the start with lots of smoke. The innitial ash broke off at just under an inch.
Before I reach the halfway point, this cigar has totally lost the spice and now is showing signs of a sweet caramel flavor. Full of flavor not on strength.
Moving into the second half and the flavors are consistant with only a hint of leather. This cigar is smoking like a champ. This would deffinately go well with a cup of Joe....Not so sure about the Champagne!
I do have to say, make sure your wearing you smoking jacket while smoking this cigar...the ash is very flakey and does not hold on very long.
Moving into the finish and it's starting to burn a little hot. It has also developed an uneven burn which I did have to even out.
Overall, I really liked this cigar. This would be a great cigar if you want to gift someone who can appreciate a good cigar but doesn't smoke alot. Creamy, sweet and mild cigar.

Rockestone's Rating: 85

[Reply]
Rockestone 01:56 PM 05-23-2009

Last picture of the uneven burn.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:57 PM 05-23-2009
Great...great review and nice pics. Thanks!!
[Reply]
scooter 01:58 PM 05-23-2009
Great review, thanks.
[Reply]
dentonparrots 02:37 PM 05-23-2009
Fab pics. Love that band too
[Reply]
NickyTeen 03:15 PM 05-23-2009
Thanks for a great review.:-)
[Reply]
G G 03:20 PM 05-23-2009
Thanks for a great review.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 04:03 PM 05-23-2009
Thanks for the great review and pics!
[Reply]
Bruzee 04:16 PM 05-23-2009
Thanks for the review. I really want to smoke one of these. I am an Illusione wh0re! :-)
[Reply]
mash 09:19 PM 05-23-2009
Thanks for the review. I had one of these 2 nights ago and my thoughts were similar to yours. Very pleasant, smooth cigar. Wish it had a bit more strength, milder than what I typically smoke, but I would try another one if offered.
[Reply]
troutbreath 09:04 AM 05-24-2009
Nice review. Great pics!
[Reply]
TomHagen 08:43 PM 05-24-2009
He sends you FREE cigars? Illusiones:-)

I just picked up the Epernay Le Elegance and it was phenomenal!!!
[Reply]
dubnick 08:48 PM 05-24-2009
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:12 PM 05-26-2009
Very nice Review. Great pics too. Thanks
[Reply]
Ratters 08:07 PM 05-26-2009
Great review and pics. Had a smaller one a couple weeks ago. My thoughts were it was pretty meh. Not bad, but no reason to ever smoke another.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:19 AM 05-27-2009
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Great review and pics. Had a smaller one a couple weeks ago. My thoughts were it was pretty meh. Not bad, but no reason to ever smoke another.
I'm a big illusione fan, so I was very excited to try this new line. Had the le Ferme (robusto) as the first cigar of yesterday's Tulip Twin herf. Very nice looking cigar, but the construction was subpar (windtunnel-loose draw, uneven burn,) and the flavors didn't wow me. It had some decent complexity: nuts, woody, a chocolatey sweetness, but I was expecting more from this. I have to give it credit for being a milder cigar than the typical illusione line, so points for that. But at $8+ per stick, I'll look for something else to buy.
[Reply]
Lensjockie 08:54 AM 05-27-2009
That is as with all illusiones, a bit on the pricy side.
Would love to see them down in the 5-6 dollar range for the standard corona type sizes.
[Reply]
Trace63 09:20 PM 06-04-2009
Looks tasty
[Reply]
vudu9 03:21 PM 06-05-2009
Thanks so much for the review.
[Reply]
groogs 11:40 PM 06-05-2009
Thanks for the review. NickyTeen giften me one last weekend, I can't wait to try it. I am a big fan of the Illusione MK, HL and 68.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up