Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>The history of my humidors
stevieray 09:21 AM 10-18-2008
Often times I'll see new cigar smokers ask "how big of a humidor should I get?" I too asked that same question some 2 years ago. So now, 2 years later, I have assembled I little photo montage of the history "to date" of my humidors.

August 2006

My buddy at work gave my a couple cigars to try and I had no place to store them. This was his sugguestion.

September 2006

I was smoking cigars more often and stumbed upon a very popular cigar board. I got involved in some trades and needed something bigger to store my sticks. I looked around the basement and found this.

September 2006

At this time I started to learn about humidity and hygrometers. I wanted to be able to see my humidity readings. So I hit the local grocery store and came up with this.

October 2006

On the cigar boards it seemed like alot of guys were buying desktop humidors at the time. So I ordered my first (not plastic) humidor. Honestly, at this time I thought this would be the last humidor I ever bought.

The history of my humidors part 2 coming up next...................
[Reply]
stevieray 09:21 AM 10-18-2008
Part 2

February 2007

Around this time I discovered Skype. While chatting with the guys on there I found that they were buying cigars by the box. That posed a new problem for me and my little desktop. So I placed an order for this. (Sorry for the stock photo...but my footlocker is buried in a cooler that's buried in the basement)

September 2007

My current set up worked pretty good for me. I wasn't buying a ton of cigars in the summer. However, when fall moved in I was back in the buying mode.
So I picked up a cooler. (Stock photo again...cause this is the cooler that has the footlocker in it that's buried in the basement) I eventually ended up with 2 of these coolers.

May 2008

By this time my wife was getting a tad aggravated with all the coolers and humidors in our home office. I have to admit that it was pretty ridiculous looking. So after I told her about the cabinet that Dave (68Trishield) had built for him and how nice it was she gave me the green light to order one for myself.

I emptied all my coolers and humidors and put everything I have in the cabinet.
Now that I sit here and put this post together I realize how much money I've spent on cooler, humidors, beads, fans, etc....:-)

Anyhow, for all the new guys out there, I'm not saying that you need to start out with a cabinet. I just wanted to show my progression in this hobby. If I had to do it all over again...I would start off with a huge cooler and not with the desktops and such.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:28 AM 10-18-2008
Pssst. If you take the foot locker out of the cooler, you can buy a lot more cigars. :-)

I love the cabinet. Very nice. Aisde from outgrowing it, how did the foot locker work for you?
[Reply]
troutbreath 09:33 AM 10-18-2008
Footlocker making an appearance in the cabinet photo.

Great looking cab, by the way. You are truly evolved!
[Reply]
stevieray 12:19 PM 10-18-2008
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Pssst. If you take the foot locker out of the cooler, you can buy a lot more cigars. :-)

I love the cabinet. Very nice. Aisde from outgrowing it, how did the foot locker work for you?
The footlocker worked good for me. Held humidity very well and I was able to get 9 or 10 boxes in and still have room for beads and a fan.
[Reply]
UPHOTO 12:29 PM 10-18-2008
How about some pics of the cabinet now?

Evolving is a great thing. :-)
[Reply]
PolarGar 05:16 PM 10-18-2008
That is one awesome thread. I especially like the genesis photo of the cello bag! :-)

I too have a foot locker and love it. I am in the process of converting a small closet into a humidor so will let you know how that all works out.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:23 PM 10-18-2008
Originally Posted by UPHOTO:
How about some pics of the cabinet now?

Evolving is a great thing. :-)
My cigars are a little camera shy:-), but if you are ever in the Central Connecticut area feel free to stop by and I'll gladly show you my filled humi. :-)
[Reply]
dunng 05:36 PM 10-18-2008
Central CT?!?! Interested in a HERF when Azon opens in Agawam MA (right over the CT line)? Nice looking cabinet! :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 06:38 PM 10-18-2008
Nice Pics.
Central CT MA herf? I'd love to meet up. Please let me know or post it in the herf board. Thanks!
[Reply]
white_s2k 06:49 PM 10-18-2008
I listened to my fellow BOTLs and went from a 20ct to a Vino.. don't regret it at all.

Nice write-up. :-)
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 07:04 AM 10-19-2008
I made the same progression pretty much, wish I would've bought my cabinet to begin with.
[Reply]
Dgar 07:40 AM 10-19-2008
Great post, and EXCELLENT advice....

anyone thinking they might be interested in storing more than a dozen cigars, consider Stevierays advice concerning coolers.... cheaper than a small desk top, easier to maintain, and can usually handle the desent down the slope for a year or so ( unless your screen name is Addiction, anyone seen Brian around the asylum), by the time you out grow a large cooler you'll know if a nice cabinet is something you want to invest in.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:57 AM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by dunng:
Central CT?!?! Interested in a HERF when Azon opens in Agawam MA (right over the CT line)? Nice looking cabinet! :-)
I've been keeping my eye on the Azon blog. :-) I would love to get together for herf there when the lounge is complete.
[Reply]
funnymantrip 08:04 AM 10-19-2008
My story is so close to the same... First I had the 'bag' and would only have 4cigars at a time... Then a 20 ct humidor, then a 50 ct humidor, then one and another 150/200 ct humidor. I got to the point the humi's had their own theme and all were quite stocked.

Then came the Cabinet which I thought I would never ever fill up. Now overflow is back in one of the old ones.
[Reply]
Steelerfanatic 08:55 AM 10-19-2008
A man after my own heart. I went through the same thing.

Started smoking December 2006 when a coworker gave me a cigar

December 2006 - 150 Count Desktop

February 07 - Vino #1

April 07 - Vino #2

August 07 - 50QT Cooler

January 08 - 100QT Cooler

May 08 - 120QT Cooler

October 08 - Walk in/ Stand In :-)
[Reply]
DKPRLP 11:42 AM 10-19-2008
My first humi was a 20 ct in 1975 now I got this and more spread throughout the house.

[Reply]
King James 11:45 AM 10-19-2008
nice transition you had there!
[Reply]
PolarGar 12:04 PM 10-19-2008
Hey-yoooooooooooo!! Sweet! What is this slope that people talk about anyway? :-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 12:41 PM 10-19-2008
started in september/october 2006, 25ct desktop, 120ct desktop, 48qt igloo, 28 qt coleman. Sold the desktops, now I just have the coolers

and then I started pipes a couple weeks ago :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up