Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>What to smoke for graduation?
Kwilkinson 02:57 PM 05-06-2009
In November, I will be graduating culinary school with my degree in culinary arts. It's been a long, strange trip through the last 22 years, and I am happy that I've found something that not only am I successful with, but that truly makes me happy every day.
That said, what cigar should I smoke for celebration on the day of graduation? I posted this in the NC forum b/c I don't have much experience with CCs, but have nothing against them if there is a good recommendation.
Since November is a pretty good while away, I was hoping to get this cigar before too long and make sure it has plenty of time to rest before smoking it. Also, I don't mind dropping a little bit of coin for this special occasion, but no $80 stick recommendations please. So any good recommendations??
Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
boonedoggle 03:06 PM 05-06-2009
I almost always recommend a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro. These are the best, IMHO! Congrats!:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 03:25 PM 05-06-2009
Congratulations, chef!

What do you like? That is the key. I'm not a big Padron or Fuente fan. My :-)
would be the Ashton Estate Sungrown. Or any cc Cohiba.
[Reply]
eber 03:25 PM 05-06-2009
my last special occasion smoke was a Padron 1926 80th maduro, it was pretty awesome
[Reply]
DougBushBC 03:26 PM 05-06-2009
I definately consider the God of Fire line to be "Celebratory Smokes" Maybe a nice Carlito? Try and grab one with some age? They are fantastic smokes that are mildly overpriced.

The other one that I just bought for a celebration that is coming soon (a ring involved :-)) is the La Aurora Vintage Puro Sol Salomone... Try it!
[Reply]
Lensjockie 04:16 PM 05-06-2009
Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro, or Gurkha Black Dragon 7 inch
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:30 PM 05-06-2009
Originally Posted by eber:
my last special occasion smoke was a Padron 1926 80th maduro, it was pretty awesome
:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 04:37 PM 05-06-2009
H. Upmann Sir Winston. :-)
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:41 PM 05-06-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
H. Upmann Sir Winston. :-)
Well for crying out loud Darrell....this is the non-cuban section! I would vote for a Mag 50 just because that is the latest cuban I'm in love with.
[Reply]
troutbreath 05:08 AM 05-07-2009
First, congratulations! Good luck in your future endeavors.

Second, I would go with one of my personal favs (in this case, your personal favs), and carefully pair it with the mood and menu of the evening. There are lots of good cigars people can recommend, but they could overpower the celebration or be of a vitola that is not appropriate for the time available or mood of the room. Choosing one of your favorites will also assure that you like the selection.

Have a great time!
[Reply]
ahc4353 06:53 AM 05-07-2009
I agree with going with something you know you like or at least a Marca you like. Maybe with a few years on it. My idea of a great cigar might not be yours.

With that said, what are a couple of your favorite Marca's both CC and NC?
[Reply]
big a 07:03 AM 05-07-2009
I just picked up some celevration sticks, I ended up getting a AF shark, Davidoff series R, Davidoff Millenium, And a Padron 1926. All of those came highly recommended to me from BOTL.
[Reply]
KidRock 07:05 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by eber:
+3 This cigar is the best one that I have ever smoked.
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:10 AM 05-07-2009
About time!

If you meet up with me AND show me how to sharpen my knives correctly, I have something that might tickle your fancy.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 07:16 AM 05-07-2009
GOF or Davidoff Winston Churchill

Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends. Find yourself the biggest toughest S.O.B. chef you can find because it will pay off in the end. And don't be that guy that shows up the first day after graduating and has chef written on his jacket. We destroyed that kid when he walked in :-). It's a long, tough, thankless road but if you can weather it will truly be a rewarding career. Good luck.

books to get Michel Bras, Thomas Keller, & *Culinary Artistry*(for flavor profiles)
[Reply]
Kwilkinson 07:16 AM 05-07-2009
Thanks for all the suggestions guys
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I agree with going with something you know you like or at least a Marca you like. Maybe with a few years on it. My idea of a great cigar might not be yours.

With that said, what are a couple of your favorite Marca's both CC and NC?
Hmmm.... Well I love the entire Padron line. I've had the Anniversary's and I wish I were rich enough to make them an everyday smoke. I've also enjoyed most Perdomo I've come across.
CC, I've only ever smoked a handful. I got bombed a few by Jbo and the Hillbilly Herf last year. I have little such little experience with them I'm not sure I could tell you what I like best.

Originally Posted by Hardcz:
About time!

If you meet up with me AND show me how to sharpen my knives correctly, I have something that might tickle your fancy.
:-):-) You drive a hard bargain, Dan!
[Reply]
Kwilkinson 07:18 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by rrplasencia:
GOF or Davidoff Winston Churchill

Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends. Find yourself the biggest toughest S.O.B. chef you can find because it will pay off in the end. And don't be that guy that shows up the first day after graduating and has chef written on his jacket. We destroyed that kid when he walked in :-). It's a long, tough, thankless road but if you can weather it will truly be a rewarding career. Good luck.

books to get Michel Bras, Thomas Keller, & *Culinary Artistry*(for flavor profiles)
Thanks! I staged for a couple months in a restaurant here. The Chef really kicked my ass, and I enjoyed it to be honest. I felt like it made me tougher, but it also made me feel like part of the team instead of an outsider stage. The one thing I learned is that when you're new in a kitchen, you best keep your head down, your mouth shut, and your ears open.
Thanks for the book recs! I've got TFL and Culinary Artistry (those profile pages are seriously awesome) but I'll have to pick up Bras.
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:27 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by Kwilkinson:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Hmmm.... Well I love the entire Padron line. I've had the Anniversary's and I wish I were rich enough to make them an everyday smoke. I've also enjoyed most Perdomo I've come across.
CC, I've only ever smoked a handful. I got bombed a few by Jbo and the Hillbilly Herf last year. I have little such little experience with them I'm not sure I could tell you what I like best.

:-):-) You drive a hard bargain, Dan!
I'm picking out a few for you already. What year were you born?
[Reply]
D_A 07:33 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by rrplasencia:
Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends ...
Yup, that's one of the reasons I eventually left the business.

Originally Posted by Kwilkinson:
The one thing I learned is that when you're new in a kitchen, you best keep your head down, your mouth shut, and your ears open.
Hey, you passed FNG 101 already. :-)
[Reply]
Kwilkinson 07:34 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
I'm picking out a few for you already.
Now now, let's keep things peaceful. You don't want to start a war.
Originally Posted by :
What year were you born?
Best year ever baby, 1987. The year Reagan got prostate surgery. The year U2 released The Joshua Tree. The first appearance ever of the Simpsons cartoon. Some other crap happened in there too.
Yes a good year indeed.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up