Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Help do I have mold?
tooomanycolors 09:51 PM 04-23-2009
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AItF2vJ7dL...h/CIMG0043.JPG

please I need to know, Im freakin out:-)
[Reply]
markem 09:54 PM 04-23-2009
yes, but it is a very mild case. Wipe the sticks down to get rid of the white mold and all will be okay. Wipe out the box or case they are in as well. The white mold is stuff that is in everyday air and merely indicates that the sticks got too wet at one point. Won't affect the flavor at all.

I just use soft strokes with a terrycloth towel when it happens to me. Never seems to come back.
[Reply]
cort 09:54 PM 04-23-2009
I am no expert but that looks like mold to me.

DONT freak out. Simply wipe them off and they will be fine. As long as there is no mold on the foot you will be okay. :-)

Also you should wipe out the humi they were in and let it air out for a few days.
[Reply]
kaelaria 10:05 PM 04-23-2009
You do need to closely inspect in the feet. If you see spores in them, you can't clean them. Wipe the humidor out with alcohol. I detailed my recent encounter with it as well: http://cigarobsession.com/2009/04/10/mold/
[Reply]
bonjing 10:05 PM 04-23-2009
what would the difference be if there is mold on the body or on the foot? isn't mold, mold?
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 10:09 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by bonjing:
what would the difference be if there is mold on the body or on the foot? isn't mold, mold?
if mold is on the foot it may have made it further into the cigar and is very bad for your health... anything else can be wiped off.
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 10:11 PM 04-23-2009
oh, and I vote plume hands down a great case of plume at that
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:12 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday:
if mold is on the foot it may have made it further into the cigar and is very bad for your health... anything else can be wiped off.
This struck me funny.
[Reply]
kaelaria 10:12 PM 04-23-2009
Not plume not by a long shot.

You can remove the mold from the outside. Once it's inside, it's non reachable. It's not just a health thing (not that it is likely to kill you any faster than the cigar LOL). The mold will destroy the stick and infect all others in the humidor very quickly.
[Reply]
bonjing 10:14 PM 04-23-2009
see that's what confuses me about wiping mold of the body.

from what i learned in the food service classes (what i kind of remember) is that once you have mold growth you have to at least cut off a min of 1" deep of the infected area to remove any growth/rooting and can't simply wipe off any growth.
[Reply]
kaelaria 10:18 PM 04-23-2009
I didn't realize they taught care of fermented tobacco leaves in food service class :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 10:20 PM 04-23-2009
i know i'm comparing apples and oranges, but i still figure mold is mold.

just trying ta learn and understand

:-)
[Reply]
kaelaria 10:22 PM 04-23-2009
Mold is mold, but you are correct - thats apples and oranges. I know how to kill it on my patio furniture too, but I'm not doing that to food or my cigars :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:26 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
Mold is mold, but you are correct - thats apples and oranges. I know how to kill it on my patio furniture too, but I'm not doing that to food or my cigars :-)
Unless you are giving it to that in-law you never really liked. :-) :-)
[Reply]
kaelaria 10:26 PM 04-23-2009
Oh that's so mean! (writing that down for later use...)
[Reply]
bonjing 10:50 PM 04-23-2009
but in order to remove the mold, you have to kill its roots. doesn't the mold on the surface of the stick also root through and into the stick?

don't get me wrong i do listened to the BOTL here and also wipe any mold that i had on one of my sticks and still smoked it.

i guess my friends are right i tend to over think chit :-)

edit-

oh, on a side not as not having experienced plum, can plume be wiped off if you thought it's mold?
[Reply]
M1903A1 10:55 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
You do need to closely inspect in the feet. If you see spores in them, you can't clean them. Wipe the humidor out with alcohol. I detailed my recent encounter with it as well: http://cigarobsession.com/2009/04/10/mold/
If I see mold on the foot, I cut off about a quarter-inch and reinspect.
[Reply]
M1903A1 10:56 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday:
oh, and I vote plume hands down a great case of plume at that
You must work at a B&M! :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:59 PM 04-23-2009
Originally Posted by tooomanycolors:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AItF2vJ7dL...h/CIMG0043.JPG

please I need to know, Im freakin out:-)
I would suggest it is mold, plume is almost like fine crystalline white sand on your cigars, (it is the residue of oils exuding from cigars and crystalizing) it will refract light (sparkle) and is spread very evenly over the cigar not concentrated in certain areas, check close up mold is well furry and grows in clumps.

Here is a close up of plume refracting light Image

Don't worry though take each individual cigar and gently wipe the mold off with a soft cloth or paper towel, repeat the process with a clean cloth on each cigar to help insure that all the mold spoors are gone.

Carefully wipe out your humidor, if you have any rooted mold, use a very fine grit sandpaper and gently sand the area to get any mold out of the wood. You can wipe it down with de-natured alchol if you are very worried but unless you have a forest in there my opinion is this is overkill.

Don't worry about flavor issues they will be just fine, inspect the feet carefully if there is mold you need to toss them, the reason is that you cannot ensure that all the mold is out as it can grow up inside the cigar whereas the mold on the wrapper has not as yet penetrated the stick.

The basis for tossing it is not about flavor (although I have never smoked mold) but rather a health issue so I am told, although how that compares to smoking tobacco I am unsure.

Hope that helps.

[Reply]
tooomanycolors 11:02 PM 04-23-2009
This is funny, if you were able to see the cigars in person, they are obviously coated in the fine crystalling powder you were talking about, and not in spores.

so thanks for your inputs...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up