Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Great Morning Reminiscing
G G 09:54 AM 04-13-2009
Just wanted to share my morning with yall, maybe it might bring back some fond memories for others as well.

I have to kinda back up a few years to set this up so it hopefully makes better sense.

I live on the same piece of property that I lived on when since I was pretty much born. My maternal grandparents lived next door to us till they died. My grandmother died in 1991, and then my grandfather died in 1993. Both of them had always said they didn't want to be in no hospital, hooked up to life support when their time came. The Lord was good to them in the fact that they both lived to be 82 years old, and both died at home from heart attacks that was very quick. My grandmother died sitting in her chair one Sunday morning, and then 18 month's later my grandfather died sitting in his chair three feet away from where my grandmother was sitting when she died.

I spent a LOT of time with my grandparents coming up. My grandmother kept me when my mom worked, so I was very close to them. When my grandmother died, my uncle and his wife moved from Georgia and into the house with my grandfather to help him out. When he died, they stayed in the house for quite a number of years. When my uncle moved back to Georgia a few years ago, my mom and dad wound up owning the house. Mom and dad had to rent it out to be able to afford to keep it up.

The renters moved out a few days ago, and we are getting it ready to rent to someone else. This house is literally about 200 feet away from my house. I just have not been able to go over there much in the last few years due to the renters being there. This morning I needed to go over there to get some things piled up to haul to the dump. I lit a Hoyo epicure CC that one of my friends from CA has gifted me and walked over to the house. I spent an hour and a half smoking that cigar and just poring over memories from my childhood right up until my grandfather died. Memories of crawling under the front porch when I was prolly no more than 4 or 5 years old, family reunions and kinfolk that I haven't seen in 10 or 20 years. Sitting on the porch in the summer with my grandparents and talking and watching cars go by on the road. Just a lot of memories flooding back. I sat in almost the exact spot where my grandmother died and a few feet from the spot where my grandfather left this world from. It was a great morning let me tell you. Just thought I would share this with yall and hopefully jog a few memories for some of my friends here.

I don't fancy myself much of a storyteller and prolly didn't get across the ideas like I would have liked to but I had a great morning just remembering.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:56 AM 04-13-2009
You told the story just fine, Greg.
Thanks for sharing it. :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:58 AM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing Greg.

I think you're a great storyteller.
[Reply]
G G 10:00 AM 04-13-2009
Even after all these years I still miss them terribly.
[Reply]
ahc4353 10:02 AM 04-13-2009
Yep. They say time makes it easier. It does, but not much, not much at all.
[Reply]
14holestogie 10:04 AM 04-13-2009
You tell a beautiful story, Greg. :-)

I have the same feeling driving by my grandparents old properties, memories rushing back, going to A & W with the glass jug for root beer, ice cream parlor next door. Ah, innocent times. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 10:13 AM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing Greg. That made my day!!
[Reply]
karmaz00 10:15 AM 04-13-2009
thanks for sharing
[Reply]
md4958 10:19 AM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing Gainey. Your story is especially poignant today, as Ive been reminiscing about my grandparents the past two days as well.
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:01 AM 04-13-2009
Great story Greg. How much is the rent? :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 11:48 AM 04-13-2009
Greg, Thanks for Sharing that. Helped make me think what I blessed to have.
[Reply]
G G 12:26 PM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Great story Greg. How much is the rent? :-)
Well guess what it's going up. My mom and dad is finally going to let me run it for them. But for you we'll see about a discount.:-)
[Reply]
Old Sailor 01:18 PM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing Greg.:-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:57 PM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing, Greg...great memories. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 02:07 PM 04-13-2009
Boy do I know what you are talking about.
I visited NJ last year and was in the town I grew up.
Happened to pass by the house I grew up in.
There was a for sale sign on it and an open house.
I found myself stopping in, walking around the entire house and just reliving so many memories that I don't know if I would have otherwise thought about.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:20 PM 04-13-2009
Thanks for sharing Greg!!!

I think about my grandparents every time I have a cigar alone!!!

Like you, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents!!!

I always ask myself what happened??? How did such great people raise my parents (total schmucks)???
:-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 03:18 PM 04-13-2009
Thanx for sharing! Great story:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:21 PM 04-13-2009
Great story Greg, very nice to remember the good ole days when times were simpler with the people we loved that have since gone on to a better place. :-)
[Reply]
CBI_2 04:27 PM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Even after all these years I still miss them terribly.
You did a great job on recounting what it means to you and I'm with you on missing loved ones. It's been almost 32 years since I held my grand-father when he had his fatal heart failure and I still miss him and think about him often.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:56 PM 04-13-2009
Hey, Greg... I really appreciated your story. Glad it was a good morning for you. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up