Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Airforce question
ucubed 04:03 PM 04-11-2009
So the backstory is...
My cousin who wanted to be a pilot for the airforce got denied acceptance. he passed all the exams on the 99 percentile and got lasik eye sirgery to corret his vision. He passed the physicals and exams though he has a heart murmur too. However he wasn't denied for any of those, he was denied because the skin on his nose is too dry? I'm curious to know why this matters...

*might I add he also obtained his pilot license before hand...

Thanks guys!
[Reply]
md4958 04:04 PM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by ucubed:
I'm curious to know why this matters...
me too!
[Reply]
taltos 04:08 PM 04-11-2009
It may have to do with the fit of the oxygen mask where the lack of skin oils could cause scraping and pain that could distract the pilot from completing his mission. Just a guess though.
[Reply]
TheJ 04:31 PM 04-11-2009
There are a few USAF pilots staying at my hotel. I'll ask the next one or more until I get an answer for you.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 06:22 PM 04-11-2009
Sounds fishy, I have no idea about this one.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 06:25 PM 04-11-2009
I actually got a pilot slot then lost it because of medical reasons..however I have never heard of anything like that, nor did have them exam the oils of my skin on my nose!
[Reply]
hotreds 07:31 PM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
Sounds fishy, I have no idea about this one.

Someone who passes everything in the 99th percentile would not be dumped because of a small amount of eczema on his nose.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:32 PM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Someone who passes everything in the 99th percentile would not be dumped because of a small amount of eczema on his nose.
I agree 100%. I know many pilots who have had waivers for various things...a dry nose would not be a problem.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 07:33 PM 04-11-2009
Exactly.
[Reply]
TheJ 07:35 PM 04-11-2009
Only run into one pilot thus far this evening. He says he's met other pilots with eczema.
[Reply]
TheJ 07:44 PM 04-11-2009
Maybe there aren't any slots available. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but I have friend, Kevin, who was a commercial pilot for years before joining the Air Force. He's still not flying. He's waiting for his turn.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:58 PM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by TheJ:
Maybe there aren't any slots available. I don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, but I have friend, Kevin, who was a commercial pilot for years before joining the Air Force. He's still not flying. He's waiting for his turn.
The slots are there brother believe me! In fact they are taking applicants out of other career fields if you qualify. As far as waiting, actual pilot training is backed up about 12 months right now, meaning candidates usually go to causal status before they begin UPT (undergraduate pilot training)
[Reply]
TheJ 08:17 PM 04-11-2009
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner:
The slots are there brother believe me! In fact they are taking applicants out of other career fields if you qualify. As far as waiting, actual pilot training is backed up about 12 months right now, meaning candidates usually go to causal status before they begin UPT (undergraduate pilot training)
That could be what he's doing. Tyndall is a training base. Most of my friends I've met here in Florida are all military. I just don't talk shop with them as I don't know what they're talking about most of the time with their darn acronyms.
[Reply]
ucubed 12:28 AM 04-12-2009
Well he told me that he got his pilot license because Airforce likes to see that you are competent enough to fly plus acing all exams. He is a graduate of Princeton in aeronautical engineering and works for Boeing in Seattle as Design Engineer. I just find it strange and very annoying that a top applicant gets turned down for supposed dry skin on the nose.
[Reply]
michael88n 12:41 AM 04-12-2009
[quote=ucubed;331788 he was denied because the skin on his nose is too dry? I'm curious to know why this matters... [/QUOTE]

An Air Force Pilot //insert// Dry Nose //insert// Butt kisser //insert//End Joke.
[Reply]
Partagaspete 01:13 AM 04-12-2009
This does not scan at all. There must be something more to it.

T
[Reply]
Savvy 05:15 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
This does not scan at all. There must be something more to it.

T
:-) I definitely can't figure out why that would really be a problem. Especially with how good his scores were. There has to be something else to it.
[Reply]
michael88n 10:29 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by Savvy:
:-) I definitely can't figure out why that would really be a problem. Especially with how good his scores were. There has to be something else to it.

I agree. You can get a waiver for being too tall, too short, too old, too... whatever! So why can't he get a waiver for dry skin on his nose?

Cheers,
Michael

The Navy rules the waves, and the Air Force waives the rules.
[Reply]
ade06 11:32 AM 04-12-2009
Maybe you should have your friend write a letter to his congressman or senator.
[Reply]
alley00p 11:51 AM 04-12-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
Maybe you should have your friend write a letter to his congressman or senator.
:-)

That was my first thought as I was reading through this thread!

He could always try the Navy or the Marines...

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up