Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>House Foundation Crack Question
RHNewfie 07:05 AM 03-26-2009
Can anyone help me out with knowledge on what would cause your house foundation to crack? We had a lot of reno done in the basement after the fire and the basement was completely redone. Now we have a foundation crack... never had one before, have one now... Now, I say it happened from the demolition and rebuild in the beginning, but of course they will try to say it is not their fault...

Any info appreciated!!
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:35 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
Can anyone help me out with knowledge on what would cause your house foundation to crack? We had a lot of reno done in the basement after the fire and the basement was completely redone. Now we have a foundation crack... never had one before, have one now... Now, I say it happened from the demolition and rebuild in the beginning, but of course they will try to say it is not their fault...

Any info appreciated!!
Had one in our house before we bought it. Waited till closing to make an issue of it. Got a few $$$ off. Per the building inspector, no big deal unless it grows. Marked it with a pencil. Same status 15 years later.
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:36 AM 03-26-2009
Horizontal or vertical?
[Reply]
RHNewfie 07:39 AM 03-26-2009
Vertical and spreading the joy of water into the basement!!

It wasn't there before the fire, but appeared after the demo/reno... so I, of course, maintain that they caused it... waiting to see what kind of push-back I get...

13 months and counting trying to get this finished...

They are being nicer these days because I suspect they are trying to avoid legal action for incompetence!!
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:44 AM 03-26-2009
I'm no expert but have moved and bought a few house in my time.

I have been TOLD that vertical are not so bad. Horizontal means the house is "shifting". I have one of these in my house. :-) But my house is old like me. :-)

I'm with Dave that it will be fine. For sure get it patched.

Will be interested to read what happens.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 07:46 AM 03-26-2009
Yeah... interesting. This has been a big dogpile from day one...

They started laying the 3rd hardwood floor yesterday (all the others were defective) and they weren't 100 feet in and I stopped the whole thing because the boards were improperly milled and not fitting correctly. Now they are tearing out what they had laid and I have to wait 2 days to get more stock, then let it acclimatize etc for 3 days... then blah blah blah!!!

I am about to blow a gasket...
[Reply]
ahc4353 07:48 AM 03-26-2009
:-)

Sorry.
[Reply]
Starchild 07:49 AM 03-26-2009
It sounds like the cracking is being caused by some new settlement of the foundation. During the remodel was there any excavation around the house? Could some of soil under the foundation been washed out by water associated with the fire? Any major structural modifications to the story above the crack?
[Reply]
RHNewfie 07:50 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:

Sorry.
Thanks Al! :-)
[Reply]
RHNewfie 07:51 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by Starchild:
It sounds like the cracking is being caused by some new settlement of the foundation. During the remodel was there any excavation around the house? Could some of soil under the foundation been washed out by water associated with the fire? Any major structural modifications to the story above the crack?
Nope, no digging and no stuctural mods. I am wondering if it may have been caused by a heat/humidity issue that we had here during the summer when they were doing the work. It was so hot and humid in the house (the A/C was out) that the first hardwood floor they put in warped and split.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 08:05 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
Vertical and spreading the joy of water into the basement!!

It wasn't there before the fire, but appeared after the demo/reno... so I, of course, maintain that they caused it... waiting to see what kind of push-back I get...

13 months and counting trying to get this finished...

They are being nicer these days because I suspect they are trying to avoid legal action for incompetence!!

Water is a different issue. MIne is high up and dry. You have an issue there. Cinderblock or concrete?
[Reply]
RHNewfie 08:07 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
Water is a different issue. MIne is high up and dry. You have an issue there. Cinderblock or concrete?
Concrete... The fun never ends!
[Reply]
Bear 08:17 AM 03-26-2009
Hey Jeff, my sister just had a company inject something into her crack. It was a vertical one and there was a moisture problem that came with it as well.

(OK, I just re-read what I typed... I now feel dirty all over and will be right back after I take a bath in some bleach)

(OK, I'm back now)

Anyways, here's some info.http://www.thecrackdoctor.ca/repairs.htm
[Reply]
357 08:20 AM 03-26-2009
Usually caused by poor drainage. I had this issue with an attached concrete porch. You can have it lifted and filled under by pros, but it's not cheap. Maybe worth it assuming you've already addressed any drainage issues.

[Reply]
RGD. 08:21 AM 03-26-2009
Nothing directed at you - just using your post:

Originally Posted by :
I'm no expert . . .
I am - certified structural foundation repairs is what I do. :-)

Originally Posted by :
I have been TOLD that vertical are not so bad. Horizontal means the house is "shifting". I have one of these in my house.
Vertical and horizontal cracks are both bad - depending on the nature and type. Houses are not designed to shift - and cracks are most normally caused by movement.

Originally Posted by :
I'm with Dave that it will be fine. For sure get it patched.

Will be interested to read what happens.
Do not just get it patched - especially until you know what the problem is.

First thing - take some pictures of the wall from a distance, close up and of the outside standing away from the house. Send them to me.

Need the age of the home, type of construction (block, poured walls, etc). Do you have a sump pump system? When did the water start. More detail on weather conditions for the past few years - i.e. normally rain, excessive heat or cold, etc.

How long ago was the fire? Size of fire as in did the fire department use a boat load of water.

Where is your sewer line in conjunction to crack.

Kind of soils you have there - clay, sands, silts, rock, etc etc.

Let me know that stuff and I can give you the most likely causes and then which type of companies to contact to get it fixed.

Ron
[Reply]
RHNewfie 08:30 AM 03-26-2009
Let's see...

The fire was a year ago in Feb 2008.
You can't see the foundation from the outside, the crack is only visible from the inside.
Outside is pretty much clay
House is about 9 years old
Foundation is poured concrete
Yes I have a sump-pump
Water started a few months ago
Weather conditions have been pretty standard average rain, nothing we are not used to.
There is a drainage problem in the neighborhood, nothing that has caused a problem.
We did have some temperature/humidity issues in the house while they were doing the reno. We have some high temps and humidity here in the summer and the A/C was out for a couple of months. It got so hot in the house that the hardwood floor warped and split.

I have attached a pic but I only have my cell right now so it is a bit crappy.
Attached: Foundation.jpg (21.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Volt 08:31 AM 03-26-2009
[Reply]
ahc4353 08:37 AM 03-26-2009
Like I said WTF do I know. :-)

Glad we have someone who does. :-)

Good luck Jeff.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 08:37 AM 03-26-2009
Another
Attached: Found2.jpg (103.4 KB)