Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Evolution & Tastes
RevSmoke 10:10 AM 03-02-2009
In a conversation with another BOTL, I got to thinking. Do our tastes evolve? Do they mature? Does one ever get to the point where the experimentation sort of ends, and we settle into just one, or maybe a few cigars?

I have smoked both pipes and cigars for about 28 years. Granted, now I only smoke one or the other about 3-7 times a week, so I am not a big smoker, but that's me. I do smoke more when fishing, golfing, or when camping, but that's not important.

I used to be a pipe blend whore. I used to have 30+ blends open at a time and another 50 or so available. But, I have come to a point in my pipe smoking where I reach for on specific blend (G&H Louisiana Flake) probably 90% of the time. I have a couple other blends (maybe 10) for other moods, but that's all I smoke. And, I really am not interested in trying many others.

I have a friend who only smokes one specific cigar, and only one - White Owl blunts - and he'd been smoking them for probably close to 65 yeas. He has tried different smokes, but no. He won't even accept cigars from me to try.

What's this got to do with cigars, you ask?

Good question.

I have tried countless cigars, from a myriad varieties of brands. Some of those brands are no longer in existence for which we should thank the good Lord for His benevolent mercy, while some others were indeed a great smoke. Some of those great smokes simply came about at the wrong time, at the wrong price, and went the way of the dodo.

Some of the sticks I really enjoyed, I no longer find as interesting. For example, I used to really groove on oscuros, the deep black maduros. I couldn't get enough of them. But, they are predominantly too one-dimensional for me now. The only maduros I find interested are the PAM 64 & 26s. I also find certain Colorado Maduros flavorful, but I think it has more to do with what is in the brand/blend than the fact that it is a maduro.

Another point is that in all the different cigars I have tried, I have found that given a sampling of a couple sticks, I can determine whether I want more of that brand/blend/marca or not.

And, the more I sample, the more I find myself going back to a few cigars that I really like. In fact, that is happening more and more.

Yeah, I still enjoy trying cigars, don't get me wrong. But, I find myself going to certain sticks(brands) and ignoring others. I think I could also safely say that if I only had a few carefully selected brands in my humidor, I'd be happy with nothing else.

So, do we evolve to a state of satisfaction? Do we mature? Or do we simply just get lazy or bored?
[Reply]
G G 10:15 AM 03-02-2009
I may get there Rev, but for me I still like to try all kinds of different cigars. Now there are those that I like a lot. I tend toward strong maduros for now, but that may change over time. I have only been smoking cigars for a couple years though, so i'm still experimenting.:-)
[Reply]
md4958 10:17 AM 03-02-2009
I would (I think) like to get down to having my humidors stocked with 10 or so different brands. Right now Im still trying to determine my likes and dislikes, and yes I think my palate has evolved. I used to think that I would neversmoke anything stronger than a Macanudo... Now, If all I was allowed to smoke was CC Bolis, I wouldnt complain.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:39 AM 03-02-2009
Good post and even better question. I'm only a couple years "into" it myself so I can't answer it. I imagine I'll have the answer to that question eventually. But I do know that I've got a bunch in my humidors that I wish I didn't have anymore. I think we've probably all done that.
[Reply]
Volt 10:59 AM 03-02-2009
I haven't been smoking long but I am already starting to find experimentation falling by the way side on my purchases. I like trying gifted smokes - just because for many reasons. But if comes to a known good smoke or picking something new at the B&M/Internet, I'm going tried and true. The financial cost and time it takes to get free to smoke, really have me wanting the experience to be as good as possible.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:57 AM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
I haven't been smoking long but I am already starting to find experimentation falling by the way side on my purchases. I like trying gifted smokes - just because for many reasons. But if comes to a known good smoke or picking something new at the B&M/Internet, I'm going tried and true. The financial cost and time it takes to get free to smoke, really have me wanting the experience to be as good as possible.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Maybe it has to do with time, and how often I smoke. Good insight, hadn't thought about it that way when I was writing originally, but.
[Reply]
Volt 12:30 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Maybe it has to do with time, and how often I smoke. Good insight, hadn't thought about it that way when I was writing originally, but.
Ok, this is getting scary. Your the second person in a week that has agreed with a statement I made. Is old age bringing me more wisdom? I'm both glad and sad..... Glad I sound smarter but sad as it must mean I'm the back side of Life's hill. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:42 PM 03-02-2009
I have my tried and true cigars and try to always have some on hand.
That said,there are still several good to great cigars coming out every year or two.
Through your guys infinite wisdom I usually try the ones you all make the most fuss over :-)

[Reply]
Mugen910 12:52 PM 03-02-2009
I'm going to have to chalk it up to a few things:

1) Reputation - If a cigar has 7/10 people saying it was yummy from this year to this box then I'll try it and see if I can agree or not...This helps me determine what flavor profile I might enjoy.

2) Environment-Cigars to me always taste better when I'm around other BOTLs. Whether I'm relaxed and enjoying a cigar or wanting to relax to enjoy a cigar. This helps me determine if the mood compliments the current cigar choice.

3) Knowledge-How much do I know about cigars? Honestly, I know diddly squat...but I learn through trial and error. I'll read up some of the reviews from other folks and see if I can compare experiences.

4) Cost-Price does not always dictate quality but it is a lot easier to toss a $2-$4 cigar that not smoking well then toss something in the double digits. With that being said...I'm sure this will change eventually too...I'm learning from BOTL's that if it's not smoking well...regardless of the cost, then it just wasn't meant to be.

5) Style-I mean style in cigars. As in size and shape. I started off with cigars that were smaller is size due to time frame of smoking allowance but I've learned to save the larger cigars for herfs and have really started to enjoy different shapes and sizes from different marcas.

I'll try to summarize my thought process by saying "Yes" taste changes but so do cigars. I keep the notion that my taste buds have a profile that I will enjoy at certain times in my life...I started off with very mild when I begin this crazy hobby...Then worked my way into stronger stuff because I wanted to push the limits of my stomach and sinus (snorking)...currently I'm at a stage where hints of chocolate and hazelnuts fancy my taste pallet with slight changes in the smoke dimensions. Maybe in the future I'll enjoy the most complex of cigars and fully appreciate the craftsmanship.

I don't think I'll ever be the "I only smoke this brand" cigar lover...because that will just limit my experiences of enjoying fine cigars.

Sorry for the rambling but I hope this wasn't too confusing.
[Reply]
shilala 12:57 PM 03-02-2009
I agree with you too, Mike. So that's three times this week. :-)
I've been very picky from day one. It has to do with time. I don't get much opportunity to smoke, and when I do, I don't want to suffer through a rocket.
I like dark smokes. Maduros, mainly. I enjoy an occasional Corojo wrapper.
It's funny that just last night I found out that my favorite JJ Maduro has a Corojo Maduro wrapper. I never knew that, and it's made me want to seek out more cigars with corojo maduro wrappers. :-)
I've found such a large range of smokes that I very much like that I honestly have a few different choices for every mood.
That cuts in hard to my desire to "try new stuff" unless it falls in my range of cigars I like. I just got in an Old Henry Maduro box split because everything about that cigar says it should be something I will really enjoy. It's worth a try, even if the experiment fails. But I weighed the components of the cigar carefully against my likes and odds are very good that I'll be pleased. That makes it fun.
Conversely, I'm not going to spark up another Natural Connecticut wrapper. Ever.
I'll taste every cc I pick up before I spark it (to see if the wrapper is bitter).
I also smell everything cautiously because my nose is very sensitive to ammonia and I can sniff out a sick smoke very easily.

I'm not so sure it's an evolution as it is an education.
I've smoked cigars since I was a kid, albeit a very small range of smokes. In a year's time I've waded through a huge assortment of cigars to a point where I can actually pick something I'll like from a million-brand internet humidor.
That's a pretty good education. If I pay attention to what I've learned, I enjoy this hobby a whole lot more, and that makes it even more fun. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:58 PM 03-02-2009
Just my opinion, but I've npticed (within a few cigar smokers) preference evolve from:

1. start off liking mild cigars
2. grows into enjoying strong/full bodied cigars
3. completes the evolution back to mild cigars with renewed appreciation.
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:08 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Just my opinion, but I've npticed (within a few cigar smokers) preference evolve from:

IDK bro...when I meant mild..I meant like a vegas shorty 5. :-)

My actual progression was Vegas Shorty 5(don't laugh)--->LFD Double Ligro (which I still enjoy here and there) --->Upmann Coronas Major..but overall I think you might have a point.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 01:21 PM 03-02-2009

A point I agree with with a bit of expansion. Macanudos are mild but lack any depth or character. Bite/strength seems best appreciated without a nasal exhale. Once I learned the nasal exhale the type of cigars I enjoyed smoking changed.

It's the quest for flavor depth and nuance that keeps the search fun for me. You can find it in cigars ranging from mild to toxic strong flavor wise.
[Reply]
Lensjockie 01:31 PM 03-02-2009
I have to say yes, overtime you will gravitate towards certain brands, know when you are in the mood for a lighter less complicated smoke, or something with a little more arse to it. On the same tolken,you may find a cigar you disliked years ago now is tasty and one of your old favorites just doesn't add up.
Never stop trying different stuff, that's what 5ers are for.
[Reply]
Dgar 01:48 PM 03-02-2009
Excellent post.

I think there is something to be said about having one or two favorites vs 33 different flavors. Variety is nice, spice of life some may say.... but nothing wrong with an old reliable favorite. I know when I grab a Padron 2k, I'm getting ready to have a cigar I'll enjoy.... no worry, no fuss, no decisions, just an inexpensive quality smoke that satifies..

I believe once you know what you like, that less can be more...
[Reply]
Starchild 02:07 PM 03-02-2009
I was just sorting through my humi the other day thinking about this same topic. I've been smoking cigars for about 8 months now, and my tastes have changed considerably over that time. I've mainly been trying to sample as many different cigars that fit my criteria as I can. The goal being that I want to find 8-10 sticks to stock my humi. I've thankfully avoided buying boxes of stuff I loved early on, which would now be taking up valuable space. There is still a lot of stuff I want to try, but more and more, I find myself reaching for a stick I know I'm going to enjoy rather than take a chance on something new. I have precious little time to smoke, so I have to make it count.

The short answer is yes, my tastes have definitely evolved. I'm going try to stay happy where I'm at as my taste is already maxing out my price range.
[Reply]
croatan 02:10 PM 03-02-2009
I smoke a couple cigars a day with just a few repeats a week. I have certain cigars I'll smoke more often than others, but I can honestly say that I enjoy the cigars from every open box I have.

If anything, my tastes have expanded over the last twelve years I've been smoking. I used to smoke only Bolivar Belicosos Finos and PCs, a few Partagas, an occasional HdM, and quite a few non-Cubans. Now, I have boxes from and enjoy every marca except for Cuaba (don't like 'em). And I probably smoke a non-Cuban once every two or three months.
[Reply]
Kreth 02:12 PM 03-02-2009
I'm still at the extreme noob stage, been smoking for about 2 months now. So far (with a couple of exceptions) I tend to like the darker wrappers. I've picked up a couple of boxes of stuff that I really enjoyed, but I'm mostly still purchasing samplers so I can try out as many different sticks as possible.
[Reply]
troutbreath 03:08 PM 03-02-2009
Could it be . . .

That, with commitment to the hobby, you invest yourself more in your favorite sticks. For instance, many of us go months (maybe years) without buying a full box. Then, when you find that one stick that you really like, you recognize the value of buying that vitola in bulk rather than individually. Now, you hav 25 sticks rather than 2 . . . it would make sense that you gravitate towards that stick more often. In fact, buying a single stick almost seems wasteful when you have so many on hand that you know you like, and this reduces your experimentation.

As for migrating towards stronger sticks, that happened pretty quickly for me. I always liked the taste of tobacco (from smoking & dipping when younger), so I headed towards those stronger sticks pretty quickly. I still like the occasional milder smoke (and I agree that a nasal exhale will help bring out some of the subtelty in the smoke), but usually have something with some "zing."
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:12 PM 03-02-2009

Hmm, that was never it with me.

There are full-bodied cigars and mild cigars that I have liked, all the way through. Some of those I liked 25 years ago, I still like today. Punch Rothschilds are one of the most consistent smokes I have had. Same goes for the El Rey del Mundo Robusto line. I'd love to smoke a few Moore & Bode Flamboyans, and then, a Oliva V.

It is that I have come to find that a few certain cigars will fit my mood - whether that mood is full, spicy, mild, med, etc...

I like what Volt had to say, that considering the fact that I don't smoke 3-6 cigars A DAY, when I do want one, I want one that I know won't disappoint me, and that has the particular flavors I am looking for at that particular time.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up