Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Looking for advice on watches!
replicant_argent 09:31 PM 09-20-2010
Originally Posted by holli4pirating:
I can't say that I agree with that last paragraph. Sure, there is something about a mechanical watch that speaks to oldschool craftsmanship, but that I would argue that quality and class are in the build quality of the watch, not the complexity of their movements.

For a comparison of accuracy of inexpensive quartz vs inexpensive automatic, check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fddXI...eature=related
So, how was the accuracy on the auto after it was (ahem.. re-) adjusted properly?
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:32 AM 09-21-2010
I have 2 Orients, 2 Citizens, and a few Invictas, and a couple Sieko. I would go for a Seiko or Citizen if you're gonna spend over $250. If you want something for under $150, look at the Orients or Invictas.
Check out Blue Dial, they have good prices and really quick shipping.
[Reply]
holli4pirating 08:01 AM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
So, how was the accuracy on the auto after it was (ahem.. re-) adjusted properly?
It's not my watch, so I don't know. But who's to say that wasn't as accurate as that one can be? Maybe that was as accurate as it gets? Based on my searches, the Seiko 5's are rated around +- 25 seconds per day, and readjusting them may get you to +- 10 seconds per day. They also tend to get less accurate as the mainspring unwinds, which is why wearing it constantly "improves" the accuracy. IMO, I shouldn't have to take a brand new watch to be "readjusted," and you never know if you'll get a "good" one or a "bad" one.

My Citizen 8700 (quartz) is accurate to about 1 second per 4 days, and it's never been serviced in 7 years.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up