Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Entertainment>Red Dawn?
oooo35980 09:17 AM 11-03-2012
I saw a commercial that took my breath away today, they are remaking red dawn. With North Korea as the invading force... Why?

There have been some pointless and terrible remakes, Willy Wonka for instance, but Red Dawn? This confirms that Dec 21 actually will be the end of the world.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 09:27 AM 11-03-2012
How can they make Red Dawn any better. Let me guess Samuel L Jackson will be the leader of the Wolverines and Iron Man will join the Korean Side. The Koreans will have laser eyes too. I hate how they do this.

Although if they put a new spin on it and try not to remake the movie it might be ok. MAYBE
[Reply]
T.G 09:32 AM 11-03-2012
Yeah, because the original Red Dawn was just so spectacular and such an incredible work of cinematography that it deserves to be up there with Kubrick's films and worshiped, never to be remade. :-)

I figure it can't be any worse than the original.

FWIW, they actually remade the movie about 5 years ago, it's been on the shelf since then due to MGM almost going bankrupt.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 09:36 AM 11-03-2012
I really like Red Dawn.. That being said are they going to remake The DUKE or Good, Bad and the Ugly.. Classics are just that classics leave them alone.. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:37 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
How can they make Red Dawn any better. Let me guess Samuel L Jackson will be the leader of the Wolverines and Iron Man will join the Korean Side. The Koreans will have laser eyes too. I hate how they do this.

Although if they put a new spin on it and try not to remake the movie it might be ok. MAYBE
It was originally the Chinese that invaded in the remake when they shot it 5 years ago, then recently in the last year digitally edited to be the North Koreans, so maybe they could digitally edit in Samuel L. Jackson while they are at it. (And Jar-Jar Binks too.)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:39 AM 11-03-2012
I really like Red Dawn.. That being said are they going to remake The DUKE or Good, Bad and the Ugly.. Classics are just that classics leave them alone.. :-)
Red Dawn a classic?

Puh-leez.
[Reply]
T.G 09:48 AM 11-03-2012
They've already remade those movies a hundred times over. Typically by the same cast & crew, the very next year, just changed a few character & location names, maybe some new paint on one of the set pieces...

Sometimes they would even swap out a few pages of the script for new ideas. Sometimes.
[Reply]
mhailey 09:50 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
It was originally the Chinese that invaded in the remake when they shot it 5 years ago, then recently in the last year digitally edited to be the North Koreans, so maybe they could digitally edit in Samuel L. Jackson while they are at it. (And Jar-Jar Binks too.)
And Greedo shot first. Hollywood is so lack luster lately. This summer was nothing but remakes or sequels. Original thought is outlawed.
[Reply]
T.G 09:52 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by mhailey:
And Greedo shot first. Hollywood is so lack luster lately. This summer was nothing but remakes or sequels. Original thought is outlawed.
Red Dawn would actually be cool if Greedo was in it.

Zoom! PEW! PEW! PEW! BOOOOOM! Alderan pieces everywhere!
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:56 AM 11-03-2012
How can you say Red Dawn isn't a classic? It's campy, unrealistic, has Patrick Swayze in it, and now Hollywood is remaking it. A film doesn't have to be "Gone With the Wind" to be a classic...
[Reply]
T.G 09:59 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
How can you say Red Dawn isn't a classic? It's campy, unrealistic, has Patrick Swayze in it, and now Hollywood is remaking it. A film doesn't have to be "Gone With the Wind" to be a classic...
" has Patrick Swayze in it"

That's how.

It's a turd.

Now, if it had Bruce Campbell and his boomstick it would be a classic campy turd.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:07 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
Easy.
Not even one of the best in its genre. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I'm not saying it's a good movie. But, to me, the term classic should be reserved for the best of the best. IMO, Red Dawn doesn't even come close. Unless any movie in the top half or top third of its genre is considered a classic.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 10:22 AM 11-03-2012
I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying.
[Reply]
markem 10:33 AM 11-03-2012
We all get to define our classics. We don't get to define the classics of our generation, but our own personal classics are what they are. Plenty of people don't like at least some of my personal classics and I'll never vote for a movie with a stupid kid who wants to put his eye out with a BB gun.

The appropriate answer when someone calls a movie classic and you disagree is "I'm glad you likes it." and move on.

So, I'm glad you liked it.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:39 AM 11-03-2012

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
And on a related note, I actually used that phrase the other day.

It made me giggle like a little school girl swooning over Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:54 AM 11-03-2012
" has Patrick Swayze in it"

That's how.

"Not cool, Braugh, totally uncool. I'm so out of here. Vaya con Dios, Amigo".
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:01 AM 11-03-2012
I liked the original Red Dawn and have watched it more than once enjoying it each time. However, I was really surprised to see that they were remaking it. While it was a good movie, I don't see how a remake will be any better or different enough to warrant watching it.

Having said all that, too many people in Hollywood are too lazy to write their own scripts so they just reuse existing ones and hope for the best...
[Reply]
icehog3 11:09 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I don't see how a remake will be any better or different enough to warrant watching it.
That's what they said about "Psycho", "Planet of the Apes", "The Poseidon Adventure", .......wait, wait a minute....

Never mind. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:59 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by markem:
We all get to define our classics. We don't get to define the classics of our generation, but our own personal classics are what they are. Plenty of people don't like at least some of my personal classics and I'll never vote for a movie with a stupid kid who wants to put his eye out with a BB gun.

The appropriate answer when someone calls a movie classic and you disagree is "I'm glad you likes it." and move on.

So, I'm glad you liked it.
Great response, Mark!

And in that line: Kubrick films; glad some people like them.

Films are just like cigars. Watch them if you like them. Don't expect to like the ones everyone else likes. Don't expect to hate the ones the critic pan.
[Reply]
Ratters 03:25 PM 11-03-2012
Nope. Red Dawn is a classic. If you don't agree you can suck it. :-) :-)

As for the remake, the North Koreans? Really? Now China would make a little bit of sense, but there is no way the North Koreans are capable of anything, they can't even shoot off a missle without it blowing up far away from it's destination.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up