Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>Your Absolute Favorite Song(s)
RobR1205 07:32 PM 07-06-2012
Alright everyone, I'm looking to put some new songs on my iPod. When I don't know what songs to add, I usually ask my friends this question:

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life (assuming you don't get tired of it) what would be? I'm curious to hear everyone's favorite song (or songs if you have a really tough tie:-)) and who it's by!

I'll start: Time by Pink Floyd, and in very close second, (the overplayed, I know, but still classic) Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin!
[Reply]
Jasonw560 07:48 PM 07-06-2012
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
(insert song here)-Rush
[Reply]
hammondc 08:03 PM 07-06-2012
Too hard....music is my first love. I could never pick. I have favorites for every genre, decade etc....
[Reply]
Eleven 09:10 PM 07-06-2012
I'll give you my top 3. In order:

Ten Years Gone - Zeppelin

jimmy - Tool

Everlong - Foo Fighters
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 10:34 PM 07-06-2012
Love Reign O'er Me by The Who will always be my favorite. Drowned by The Who will always be my #2. Everything else changes but those remain the same.

MCS
[Reply]
ArgusP2 03:40 AM 07-07-2012
Anything by Pink Floyd
[Reply]
TheTraveler 05:15 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by ArgusP2:
Anything by Pink Floyd
:-)

1. Wish You Were Here
2. The Gunner's Dream
3. If
4. Marooned
5. Echoes

Making someone pick ONE song is just mean, man. I had a somewhat difficult time narrowing it down to just one band even though The Pink Floyd Sound is my favorite; picking one means excluding all others and there are just so many good bands.

If heading off to a desert island I'd have to bring along a bucket of dubstep, a smattering of metal, a few bottles of soul and a case of the blues. You gotta have some of The Black Keys, Black Eyed Peas and a copy of Black Velvet. And don't forget the classics like all the works Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Chopin ......

Seriously, it hurts my head the more I think about it. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 10:51 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Too hard....music is my first love. I could never pick. I have favorites for every genre, decade etc....

This. But if you need ONE, I'll go with Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix . . . if you'll also allow me a Slight Return. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 10:56 AM 07-07-2012
Mine would have to be something classical. Or solo piano like something from George Winston.

The one that has been stuck in my head for over a week now is Walt Grace's Submarine Test, January 1967 by John Mayer. It's actually not too bad. New album is more folk focused (very Dylan-esque).
[Reply]
Jasonw560 10:59 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by The Poet:
This. But if you need ONE, I'll go with Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix . . . if you'll also allow me a Slight Return. :-)
For me, the Stevie Ray Vaughan version is better.

Music is very subjective.

Let me add some Bach or Handel into the mix. Chopin, Mozart, Rossini, a little Berlioz.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:02 AM 07-07-2012
Wow...to pick a favorite song...can't do just one...gotta do a top fifteen:

1. Big Poppa by Notorious B.I.G.
2. Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
3. I Remember you by Skid Row
4. Springsteen by Eric Church
5. Desert Moon by Dennis DeYoung
6. Bringin On The Heartache by Def Leppard
7. If I Die Young by The Band Perry
8. Valerie by Steve Winwood
9. Voices Carry by 'Til Tuesday
10. Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars
11. Bow Down by Westside Connection
12. This Womans Work by Maxwell
13. Only You Remix by 112
14. Right Here (Human Nature Remix) by SWV
15. Fox On The Run by The Sweet
[Reply]
The Poet 11:11 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
For me, the Stevie Ray Vaughan version is better.

:-) :-) :-)

And I'd bet you SRV would be laughing too. Hey, don't get me wrong . . . I do believe Stevie did a great job stealing licks, not only from Jimi, but from many others. :-)
[Reply]
RobR1205 11:16 AM 07-07-2012
Nice! I listen to ALL music so these lists are great! Keep em coming!
[Reply]
Ismith75 11:20 AM 07-07-2012
Black Clouds/100 Year Flood/Round The Wheel-String Cheese Incident
Bathtub Gin/The Lizards-Phish
Idaho/Half Moon Rising-Yonder Mountain String Band
Heart of the City/Can't Knock the Hustle-Jay Z
Good Love Is On the Way-John Mayer
Two Pink Lines-Eric Church
Sorority Girl/Love in a College Town-Luke Bryan
[Reply]
racerX 11:49 AM 07-07-2012
Theme from shaft - Isaac Hayes
[Reply]
smokin5 12:06 PM 07-07-2012
Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
Or any of the other 27 versions, for that matter.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:19 PM 07-07-2012
My 'net radio just played the title cut off Layla by Derek and the Dominoes . . . which MAY not be the worst song on that album, though it certainly is the most overplayed. Far better is the first cut, Key To The Highway. The guitar dual between Eric Clapton and Duane Allman is epic. FYI, Duane wins, by a mile, even if he's not as good as he later was in several solos from Live At The Fillmore East and Mountain Jam from Eat A Peach.

For those noting classical choices, might I suggest that as well as citing guys like Mozart and Beethoven, you may consider naming the man who taught them both . . . the Papa, Franz Josef Haydn.
[Reply]
smokin5 12:26 PM 07-07-2012
Speaking of Duane Allman, how about Allman Bros. Band - Whipping Post (off the Live at the Fillmore).
[Reply]
smokin5 12:32 PM 07-07-2012
Here's another thread for a bunch of music ideas:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1082
[Reply]
The Poet 12:34 PM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Speaking of Duane Allman, how about Allman Bros. Band - Whipping Post (off the Live at the Fillmore).
:-)

Hell, just download the whole damn album! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up