Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Do you know who Guillen Cigars is?
Yes, I like them 56 33.73%
Yes, but dont like them 3 1.81%
No, but would like to 75 45.18%
No, dont care 32 19.28%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Who is Guillen Cigars?
AndyMadera 03:20 AM 07-26-2009
This thread is for those of you that know me and dont know me alike. As many of you know I make cigars in Nicaragua and many of you have even smoked them. This is your chance to get to know more about me, the company, and the cigars. Feel free to ask me any questions and ill do my best to answer them. I know there are a few out there so lets hear them!!
[Reply]
adampc22 04:17 AM 07-26-2009
i know u andrew dont wurry i wont forget lol
[Reply]
14holestogie 06:09 AM 07-26-2009
Really enjoying the Goviado Connecticut. Great coffee companion first thing in the morning. :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 06:31 AM 07-26-2009
Do you have a website? I have tried looking around for some place to see the cigars and prices, but haven't turned up much. From what I've seen in other peoples posts you seem to be an honest and generous guy. I didn't vote as I don't know much about you.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:17 AM 07-26-2009
What is your position in the company?
[Reply]
:eevis 07:51 AM 07-26-2009
Hi Andrew, haven't had a chance to meet ya, but I was wondering how you got into the buisness? I would imagine that it is quite an experience.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:53 AM 07-26-2009
Andrew...I have tried twice to obtain your Reserva Miraflor sticks and both times, we started dialogue...and then you just ignored me. What gives??
[Reply]
AndyMadera 02:02 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Andrew...I have tried twice to obtain your Reserva Miraflor sticks and both times, we started dialogue...and then you just ignored me. What gives??
This is something that would have been nice to see in a PM. My last PM from you was on the 14th, that same day I had sent you a few PM with continued Dialogue. I hardly think that constitutes ignoring someone. I would gladly get you the toros and if you would do a search of my threads I am always with something going on for sale. I even have one up for a Ten Toro Sampler that is listed in my signature. I have lots of PMs that come in and out every day and i can loose track of them if dialogue is not contiued on both sides. I apologize that we lost communications there. Some days I send up to 30 PMs/emails between all the places I visit and my 2 email accounts I used for communicating with shops/distributors/factory/reps and so on. If you are interested please check out the link in my signature for the Toros. If anyone else is in the same situation as Kelmac07 as in we lost communication through PMs please send me a reminder I will get back to you. Im sure Kelmac07 isnt the only one this has happened to but please dont assume that I forgot you or dont care. You are all important to me and the success of Guillen Cigars.

Andy
[Reply]
Wolfgang 02:05 PM 07-26-2009
I love RMF and Andy is an upstanding guy. I highly recommend having some of the line.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:09 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by AndyMadera:
This is something that would have been nice to see in a PM. My last PM from you was on the 14th, that same day I had sent you a few PM with continued Dialogue. I hardly think that constitutes ignoring someone. I would gladly get you the toros and if you would do a search of my threads I am always with something going on for sale. I even have one up for a Ten Toro Sampler that is listed in my signature. I have lots of PMs that come in and out every day and i can loose track of them if dialogue is not contiued on both sides. I apologize that we lost communications there. Some days I send up to 30 PMs/emails between all the places I visit and my 2 email accounts I used for communicating with shops/distributors/factory/reps and so on. If you are interested please check out the link in my signature for the Toros. If anyone else is in the same situation as Kelmac07 as in we lost communication through PMs please send me a reminder I will get back to you. Im sure Kelmac07 isnt the only one this has happened to but please dont assume that I forgot you or dont care. You are all important to me and the success of Guillen Cigars.

Andy
Andy...my apologies for not sending this in a PM. Not meaning to stir up anything at all...stuff happens, PMs lost, etc. Still looking to get a fiver of the Reserva Miraflor only...robustos/toros. My intent was not to sound as though you didn't care...far from the case. Thanks for the response.
[Reply]
flat6nut 02:15 PM 07-26-2009
bookman, RockonBigB, VirtualSmitty...

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors.
[Reply]
flat6nut 02:16 PM 07-26-2009
I was gifted one of your cigars along with a few others by TripleF. I actually liked the cigar, but do not know much about them. I am guessing they are relatively new?
[Reply]
AndyMadera 02:17 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Do you have a website? I have tried looking around for some place to see the cigars and prices, but haven't turned up much. From what I've seen in other peoples posts you seem to be an honest and generous guy. I didn't vote as I don't know much about you.
Option 3: No, but would like to applies to you then! hehe. Thank you for the post and to those who have posted in the past that you have found. I had a frontpage to the website up but its down now as it was on my brothers server and he doesn't have it anymore. I have a few people from the CA crew that have offered to help me set one up and it should be running before IPCPR which is Aug 8th. I dont really know anything about this kinda thing so the help will be greatly appreciated.

I will be sure to post the site up here as soon as it is ready to go but the domain will be www.guillencigars.com

Thanks for the question and I hope to be able to answer any more that you may have.
[Reply]
awsmith4 02:23 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by flat6nut:

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors.
To be fair the option was given for them to respond honestly. As a company not everyone is going to like you or care about you. That dosen't mean Andy and I are gonna call it quits and stop selling cigars. The great thing about a group as large as the asylum is that you can get a feel for many different opinions not just positive. Without both positive AND negative feedback a company can never grow.
[Reply]
AndyMadera 02:28 PM 07-26-2009

Perhaps you guys should check to see if it is a public poll before showing your true colors. .
I dont think so, its a poll and all honest opinions are welcome. I didnt realize when i made the thread that everyone would see the results... There is nothing wrong about NOT wanting to know about something or a company. The way the poll is worded the only dislike would be Option 2, saying yes they know us but dont like us. But even then that is a fair answer. I personally dont care for some companies either in the cigar industry or any other. But thanks just the same for sticking up for me :-)

As to your question, Yes we are a pretty new company. I will answer one of the other questions here about how we got into the biz. Its quite a long story but it will be up here in a few minutes.
[Reply]
AndyMadera 03:28 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by :eevis:
Hi Andrew, haven't had a chance to meet ya, but I was wondering how you got into the buisness? I would imagine that it is quite an experience.
I met a good friend named Rafael Guillen at MHCC college in August 2005. He was one of the newest students to pass through a scholarship program funded by US AID called CASS. every year they bring in a group of central American and Caribbean students who speak little or no english. I had been involved with this program since 2001. It was a great way for me to meet new people from new places and at the same time share with them about our country and our language.

I spent alot of time with Rafael through out his 2 years studying natural resources and english. I was always there to help them learn some new words and practice what they already know. I was also picking up spanish little by little by listening in!! took me 5 years to get to the level im at now but I would easily say I have I higher spanish vocabulary that an 5 year old native speaker. Through our time together I also got to know about the students lives back in their home countries. Being I was good friends with rafael I grew really interested in what his family was doing and their history with tobacco and cigars. They had been working in fields and rolling from a very young age and grew a real passion for the work that they did.

In 2007 when it was time for Rafael to return home I went with him to meet his family. I had done the same thing in 2005 and took a 40 day tour from Guatemala - Panama visiting all the students and experiencing life as they know it. At times I crossed borders with hardly any money in my pocket not knowing when I would get more being travelers checks are not ass accepted as one would think... It was a hassle and a little scarey crossing with less than even 1$ from Guatemala to Honduras. In my 2007 visit however I was there with a mission. To meet his family and see what the possibilities were on making their dreams come true. To produce cigars for themselves. In Sept 2007 our business licenses and permission to produce and export were granted. It has been a tuff road so far working on limited resources and even more so... LIMITED EXPERIENCE. I have made a few mistakes and have learned from them. We also have taken a few lumps from people in the industry who wanted to do business with us and it ended up not working out in our favor... It wasnt until February 2009 that we started pushing cigars to retail. Before that it was just making cigars for a private company. Currently Reserva Miraflor is available in 13 states retail and a few stores in each state and Goviado in just 2 states as it is a newer blend and we have not pushed it as much, that is soon to change.

I have spent most of my time here on CA and been here since it was created and on CS for about a month before that. I was also a part of a few other forums for about a year before that trying to spark interest but didnt get anywhere near the support I have gotten here. I know there is much more detail I have not mentioned here that many of you may know already but keep in touch and you will learn more and more. And get to know me personally more and more. Thank you all for the questions I enjoy answering them.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 03:33 PM 07-26-2009
Good thread. Thanks for giving us some background, Andy. I'm looking forward to the Toro sampler you offered up.

MCS
[Reply]
AndyMadera 03:52 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
What is your position in the company?
I do prettymuch everything that isnt directly involved in making the cigars. I do tell them how much of what I want and they make it. But i work on design, what is produced, arranging shipping, making sure taxes are paid, finding customers, managing reps, and finances... I do so much more though I end up putting in 18 hour days all the time. The hardest part is communicating with all the people as I had mentioned in a previous post. One of the hardest parts is working with limited inventory as well, budgeting where each cigar needs to go and for how much it is going to sell for, and what product to use as samples... It is really stressful but I am confident we will make it if we just hang in there.
[Reply]
AndyMadera 03:55 PM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Good thread. Thanks for giving us some background, Andy. I'm looking forward to the Toro sampler you offered up.

MCS
I think tomorrow you will be feeling it even more once you have them in your hands!!!

USPS - 01038555749783494444
[Reply]
icehog3 04:42 PM 07-26-2009

True colors?

Andrew posted a poll and asked for opinions...if he didn't want to hear about people with opinion #4, he wouldn't have put it in the poll.

I smoke probably 400 cigars a year. Maybe 2 or 3 of them are non-Cuban, so if I were to vote, it would be "No, don't care", because I really don't care about NC cigars....just my opinion, my personal preference. But I might get called out if I say that? Thick skin is not a bad thing. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up