Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I think I got a dud Xikar lighter
Carmack 02:37 PM 12-25-2011
I purchased a Xikar Executive lighter from Cbid along with Xikar butane. I properly drained the chamber, filled it up then waited a day to use it. It worked for about 20 seconds then went dead. I ignited it again and saw a small flame then it went out. Being that this is my first torch lighter I thought I might have not filled it all the way. Today I drained it again, filled for it more than 5 seconds, waited an hour and it did the same thing again.

So..is it a dud or am I doing something wrong?
[Reply]
Ogre 02:41 PM 12-25-2011
It may need an adjustment. Look where you filled it. There should be an adjustment screw. Take a small screwdriver and turn. Adjust for flame size.
[Reply]
Carmack 02:48 PM 12-25-2011
It looks like you're correct. Thank you.
[Reply]
coty 03:02 PM 12-25-2011
If it decides to crap out on you for good take it to a Xikar seller, Xikars warranty is superb. Most cigar and pipe shopes sell them and if not you can send it in pretty cheap. where I work were told to exchange it in the store so the customer doesn't even have to wait
[Reply]
Zeuceone 04:13 PM 12-25-2011
or was it...
[Reply]
ysr_racer 10:15 AM 12-26-2011
My Executive lights about 50% of the time. Sometimes it will light every click, sometimes I have to click it 4 or 5 times to get it to work.

My $4 Ronson Jetlite on the other hand, works every time.
[Reply]
ktblunden 10:34 AM 12-26-2011
On some lighters they just won't work right if the adjustment screw is set too low or too high. Play around with it and see if you can find a setting where the flame is where you want it and it lights almost every time and stays lit. Xikar typically makes a good product, but if you do have a dud you can exchange it for a new one at any Xikar dealer.
[Reply]
alexa071 08:37 PM 12-26-2011
I have that lighter. When you fill it make sure you turn the flame adjustment all the way down. After filling turn the knob all the way up and then back off about 1/8 turn.

Also... I'm on my second one. The first one stopped lighting and I sent it in to Xikar... they sent me a brand new one within a week.
[Reply]
bigswol2 09:47 PM 12-26-2011
That's the good thing about Xikar...lifetime warranty.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 10:08 PM 12-26-2011
I posted this before, but I'll trot it out again :-)

What the difference between a Xikar Executive and a Ronson Jetlite?

One stopped working after a week, one's called a Ronson Jetlite.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:17 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
I posted this before, but I'll trot it out again :-)

What the difference between a Xikar Executive and a Ronson Jetlite?

One stopped working after a week, one's called a Ronson Jetlite.
Apples to oranges. Kinda like the difference between a Huglu and a Perazzi. Both will get the job done, but which one would you rather own if you had your druthers?:-) Of course, this is just my opinion and :-).
[Reply]
DaBear 09:06 PM 12-27-2011
IMO, if you're going to get a Xikar don't even bother looking at the ~$30 ones(Plunge, Executive, etc.) drop the extra $10 on a Genesis or go with a Topdog or Eternity triple flame for ~$30 if you can't afford to go the extra $10 at the time. From woking with Xikars daily, the ~$30 lighters they put out are just not worth the cash, even with the lifetime warranty as they're the ones we see back in for repairs 50% of the time(the other 50% is every other lighter they produce). The Genesis has much more solid construction than any of the other lighters I mentioned, plus it still has that life time warranty. Topdog and Eternity both put out great lighters at the ~$30 range and are of much better quality for the money than a Plunge or Executive, plus they have at least 5 year warranties with them, though I think its lifetime as both are produced by Evertorch for the respective companies.
[Reply]
xlc12rf 06:54 AM 12-28-2011
I have had nothing but problems from my Executive. I moved on to a butane solder torch from Lowes. Best $20 I've spent on a lighter. And I can sweat pipes while smoking!
[Reply]
Ed M 07:17 AM 12-28-2011
I have an Xikar Element that I started having trouble with after about a year. I sent it in and it was repaired, no questions asked. I got it back much faster than I thought I would, great turn around time. Look on the Xikar web site, they'll tell you how to send it back.
[Reply]
Gophernut 07:43 AM 12-28-2011
I have the Element as well. Have had it for about 3 years now. The only issue I ever had is when I put Ronson fuel in because that is all I had. It clogged it up. I purged it, and cleaned it out really well with compressed air, and using nothing but the proper butane, it has worked wonderfully since then. I have dunked it in the lake accidentally a couple of time, and it works great. Once it dries out... I love the punch that is installed in the end as well. I have had to send my cutter into them a couple of different times. Once it just got stuck and wouldn't open. The other time, I dropped it and it broke. Both times I got either the cutter or a replacement cutter back very quickly. Can't say enough about the customer service they have provided me.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 07:27 PM 12-28-2011
Does Xikar fix "your" lighter, or just send you a new one?
[Reply]
Flounder 12:53 AM 12-29-2011
Same problem with a Bugatti Lighter, according to CI its MSRP is $100... None of the suggested solutions work. Anyone aware of their warranties?

Found it. Any suggestions on fixing it before I pay to send it back?
[Reply]
pnoon 06:30 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
Same problem with a Bugatti Lighter, according to CI its MSRP is $100... None of the suggested solutions work. Anyone aware of their warranties?

Don't try and mail it on Monday the 2nd. :-)
[Reply]
ktblunden 07:42 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:

The MSRP of $100 is completely bogus. I would say it's worth about $20 and even at that price it's not a great lighter. CI frequently tosses these in with combo deals in such a way that I would guess their actual cost on them is somewhere around $7. I don't believe they have any kind of lifetime warranty.

EDIT: If it's going to cost you more than a couple bucks to mail it back to them for repair or replacement I'd suggest tossing it and getting something else.
[Reply]
muhren 07:47 AM 12-29-2011
FWIW - I was having a slight issue with lighting on my Xikar and checked their web page for some info. They said before sending it in, try using some compressed air to blow out the ignition area.

Worked perfectly for me. Problem solved.

Also, FWIW...I've traded and bought used Xikar cutters before. As soon as they hit my house, I drop the $5 on shipping and send it to Xikar for sharpening. New cutter comes to my door a week later. :-)

I dig Xikar.

M
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up