Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Josh Pip makes a mean Vino shelf/drawer!
mrreindeer 07:58 AM 11-22-2008
Thank you Josh! Man, I love my shelves/drawer you made for my Vino! Very great craftmanship, excellent shipping and an overall excellent transaction.

After a slight RH issue when I first replaced the wire rack shelves with the cedar, I seasoned the shelves/drawer with distilled water, left them overnight in the Vino, then put in the beads, left overnight and continued to monitor RH and we're now steady at 65/65% RH.

Josh does have extra cedar and might just be able to help you out with yours!

(The ziploc bag and tupperdor contain my latest experiment in Beetlegars.)

[Reply]
GKitty 08:05 AM 11-22-2008
Nice looking vino.

And I have to ask.... "beetlegars"?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:19 AM 11-22-2008
Thanks! and well.......I like playing with my cigars frequently. I stick my nose in each box, take a big whiff, search through, shuffle and rotate the stash (and inspect). This is a good thing because...

I had received a gifted cigar from a buddy here in L.A. and I just had a feelin'...the cigar was one I'd never heard of, rolled by a local store in OC (Orange County). I was very suspicious. Not to mention that my buddy who lives in OC doesn't keep a temperature controlled humidor and it gets hot here in L.A.

I was very appreciative of the gesture, however suspicious. I too hadn't had a temperature controlled anything for several months this year (before the Vino) and I presume the combination of the two hot environments and possibly not the best humidity control brought on the outbreak.

Fortunately, I kept the cigar in question isolated in the tupperdor. There were a few vulnerable soldiers in there as well, so I have kept them all isolated. We're talking about ten sticks.

I noticed holes in the questionable cigar and immediately froze it in the ziploc bag. Then I noticed upon a more frequent inspection cycle that there was a freaking beetle crawling on the foot of one of the Gurkha soldiers in the tupperdor. I flushed the bastard and added the Gurkha to the plastic bag in the freezer.

I normally don't freeze my cigars but I chose to freeze the entire tupperdor to nip the outbreak in the bud. And I've made certain to check the rest of the stash regularly just to make sure it didn't break out beyond the tupperdor. It did not, fortunately.

So my goal lately has been to smoke these other soldier Beetlegars as quickly as possible and get rid of the tupperdor completely so there's no question as to whether or not the damn beetles spread to the other sticks inside the tupperdor.

I have bombed a few BOTL on here and made it very clear to them that the bombed cigars were in no way near the outbreak, which again, was completely isolated. :-)
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 09:00 AM 11-22-2008
Good on ya Josh!
[Reply]
ucla695 10:08 AM 11-22-2008
Nice looking Vino there David! I think the shelves and drawer definitely dress it up nicely. Nice ashtray too. I currently use a four stirrup Stinky, which stays outside, but I'm starting to look around for something a little nicer.

Funny, I also put my desktops in my cabinet when I got it. It's nice to be able to keep them temp controlled, huh?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 11:52 AM 11-22-2008
Thank you Mike! As for ashtrays....I picked that one up on my last trip to NY because I wanted to have one to use while smoking with clients out on the balcony off my room. I got a good deal at JR's and I can keep this one downstairs and my CAO Cubist upstairs. I really like both of them but man, I was on a quest with the CAO Cubist and ended up getting it at my B&M on order for $39. :-)

Originally Posted by ucla695:
Funny, I also put my desktops in my cabinet when I got it. It's nice to be able to keep them temp controlled, huh?
Absolutely! :-)

No more beetles for me!
[Reply]
Doogie 11:52 AM 11-22-2008
very nice loking trays
[Reply]
Clampdown 12:14 PM 11-22-2008
Great looking trays. Me Like!!!
[Reply]
Nimbus 09:34 PM 11-22-2008
Nice trays indeed. I guess it is time for me to buy a Vino as well :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 09:51 PM 11-22-2008
Nice shelves and drawers! BTW, I have that same ashtray. Great taste. :-)
[Reply]
groogs 11:01 PM 11-22-2008
That is a nice lookin Vino, but it looks like you have a lot of empty space.:-)
[Reply]
joshpip 07:17 AM 11-23-2008
Thanks bro... I am glad you like them. :-)
[Reply]
dunng 07:47 AM 11-23-2008
Very nice work! :-)
[Reply]
cort 08:49 AM 11-23-2008
Looking pretty sweet David.

You might have some RH issues considering you have sooooo much free space available. Although that is fixable:-):-):-)

Great work on the shelves Josh.
[Reply]
tolobill 12:10 PM 12-05-2008
hi, not to hijack thread but on the vino temp, i cant find that one any more. is it all right to use any one, as long as it has the electro themostatic cooling thanks.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 12:16 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by groogs:
That is a nice lookin Vino, but it looks like you have a lot of empty space.:-)
Originally Posted by gwc4sc:
Looking pretty sweet David. You might have some RH issues considering you have sooooo much free space available. Although that is fixable:-):-):-)
uh.....uh oh.... Image :-)

Originally Posted by tolobill:
hi, not to hijack thread but on the vino temp, i cant find that one any more. is it all right to use any one, as long as it has the electro themostatic cooling thanks.
I know they've been kind of hard to come by. Target had them on clearance for as low as $50. If Target doesn't have any, I'd call Vinotemp direct and see if they have any leftover.

I do believe that as long as they have the thermo-electric cooling disk and not the traditional refrigeration system of a regular fridge (I forget what it's called), you should be ok. I've heard of guys using the smaller versions.

Or you can buy this! http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Wow, and it's on sale!
[Reply]
skibumdc 12:16 PM 12-05-2008
Now just remove the vinotemp plastic logo and you'll be all set!
[Reply]
mrreindeer 12:29 PM 12-05-2008
never even thought about it; good call! :-)
[Reply]
ashmaster 02:27 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by skibumdc:
Now just remove the vinotemp plastic logo and you'll be all set!
I got rid of mine by using a hair dryer on high for a couple minutes....came right off.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 02:43 PM 12-05-2008
Thanks! Did it leave any mark at all on the glass?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up