Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Oust Fan Alternatives?
croatan 03:17 PM 11-20-2008
I'm converting a pretty large linen closet into a humidor and am looking for a way to circulate the air.

I can't find any Oust Fans locally or online.

Anyone know of any alternatives? There's no power running to the closet (and I'm helpless at that sort of stuff), so it needs to be something battery-operated.
[Reply]
rack04 03:20 PM 11-20-2008
I have one I'll give you if we meet up this weekend. I found one at Tom Thumb but found out quickly that it takes up too much room in my vino and hardly moves any air.
[Reply]
DBall 03:22 PM 11-20-2008
I've got a few oust fans.... just let me know how many you need and I'll hook ya up. I think I have around 4 of them that aren't really in use...
[Reply]
Darrell 03:22 PM 11-20-2008
Hey James, I would think for a closet you could get some of those small desk fans and just keep them on low. If this is a decent size closet, you will need more airflow than just a few measly oust fans. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:25 PM 11-20-2008
I make fans out of 3 speed computer fans and ac adapters. They're awesome and they're quiet.
I just ordered 20 more fans, so if you need one just let me know.
I have oust fans too, but they're worthless in a big area.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:27 PM 11-20-2008
There may not be power in the closet, but is there power on the wall in the other room facing the closet? I have a wine cooler in a closet(with wine) and I just cut a hole in the wall and had it wired to a plug in the room behind. An electrician should be able to do this for a decent price.
[Reply]
croatan 03:32 PM 11-20-2008
Wow. Thanks for the offers, guys.

Do the oust fans move substantially less air than I'm imagining them moving?

I haven't completely bought in to the massive airflow theory. I've been keeping cigars in vinos and coolers for years without fans and like the way my cigars taste. But, given the size of the closet, and the fact that it won't be completely full at inception (unlike the coolers), I just figured that a little airflow to distribute the humidity would be a good thing.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:33 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
Yes, far less than I suspect you're imagining. Honestly to put Oust fans in a closet would be a total waste of time and space. They would do little to help.
[Reply]
shilala 03:37 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Yes, far less than I suspect you're imagining. Honestly to put Oust fans in a closet would be a total waste of time and space. They would do little to help.
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:37 PM 11-20-2008
Do you have an outlet in the linen closet?
[Reply]
Darrell 03:39 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by shilala:
Do you have an outlet in the linen closet?
If not, it would be worth having someone wire one. Plug a surge protector in there, run an electronic humidifier and a few small desk fans. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:46 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
If not, it would be worth having someone wire one. Plug a surge protector in there, run an electronic humidifier and a few small desk fans. :-)
I hate to agree with you twice in one day, but you really got your game on right now. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 03:48 PM 11-20-2008
I hate to agree with you twice in one day, but you really got your game on right now. :-)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 03:50 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
Yes, but you can help that by removing the cover. However, I must agree that in a closet sized humi they would be all but worthless. Indeed, get someone to put an outlet in there, and use some small electric fans on low, or let Scott hook you up!

Good luck, sounds like you'll have plenty of room(for a little while, anyway!)
[Reply]
croatan 03:51 PM 11-20-2008
Well that's a bummer. Also a bummer because I've wasted a bunch of time trying to find the little buggers :-)

There's no power close on either side of the wall (interior hall).

I'll probably do a complete overhaul of the closet in a few months (demo what's there, line it with mahogany and cedar, add power, pretty glass doors, etc.). For now, I'm just trying to hold a sh!tload of cigars, retire the coolers, and avoid adding three or four more in the next couple of weeks.

Guess it'll be ok for now. May see if I can find a small desk fan or two. Thanks for the help, guys.
[Reply]
Darrell 03:51 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. :-)
Love you too, buddy. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Sailchaser 04:15 PM 11-20-2008
One of the things you may be able to do is steal power from a near by outlet in the basement or the crawl space and run the power up thru the floor using a surface mount box and wire mold.Also make sure you use kilzs or a paint sealer that will keep the moisture in the closet if you are painting the walls to seal the room
Good luck with the project
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 06:42 PM 11-20-2008
If you go with those fans you can plug into a wall plug an idea that popped in my head would be to get one of these to cycle the fans on and of to the desired time amount.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100026919

:-)
[Reply]
Raralith 09:19 AM 11-21-2008
As far as I know, Oust fans are seasonal products so you most likely won't see any until spring. As for their CFM, I've read that it was below 5 and that's with the cover off. Also, they turn run for 5 and turn off for 15.

If there is no power around, I must ask is there power within extention cord (or two added together) range? Yeah, it doesn't look great but if you are looking for air movement, you gotta sacrifice it until you can demo the room. If you can through, use an extension cord, buy a 12 volt adapter from RadioShack, and 2 120mm computer fans. Splice the 12 volt adapter, wire the two fans in a series and following the cables should look like adapter to fan, fan to second fan, second fan back to adapter. You'll have around 60 CFM, the equivalent of a LOT of Oust fans.
[Reply]
spincycle 09:26 AM 11-21-2008
I make fans out of 3 speed computer fans and ac adapters. They're awesome and they're quiet.
I just ordered 20 more fans, so if you need one just let me know.
I have oust fans too, but they're worthless in a big area.
I've though about doing this as well! Once I move up to a vino, I'll be looking for a means to keep the air circulating inside. Don't suppose anyone has ever drilled a hole though their fridge? :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up