Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 43 of 270
« First < 33414243 44455393143 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
LooseCard 09:55 AM 06-29-2010
Originally Posted by jledou:
Just a small army eating, the turkey was for my neighbors and the butt and brisket were for the guys night out. 8 people were able to polish off the brisket and butt between dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day.
Looks good!

Keep up with the photos guys! It lets me pretend the crud I have for lunch is BBQ..... :-)
[Reply]
Gonesledn 12:57 PM 06-29-2010
if anybody is interested in some mulberry wood, let me know. i took down a large tree that was choking an apple tree in the back of my yard beginning of spring. i sent some off to a brother here a while back, and it wasnt too expensive, maybe 20$ for 15 pounds or so. cant remember exactly. let me know, just cover shipping. working on chopping the rest of it up in the next few days.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:28 AM 06-30-2010
So I did my first Chuckie last night. It was a 3.5lb hunk of meat. I did it hot and fast in the UDS. I simply put kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of cumin on it. I had read that 200 internal was prime pulling temp, and then read further that sometimes Chuckies need to go to 210-215 to pull. Well, I went in the middle sort of and pulled it at 208 and let sit for about an hour. The real test was how did it taste.... Let's just say I will be picking up a few more Chuckie's when they go on sale. My wife loved it and I thought it tasted like beefy butta. :-)

About 40% of it pulled pretty easily. Not as easy as a good pork butt, but still pulled well. The other 60% was a bit tougher but makes for very good chunks. The hot and fast method was awesome!! I hit the 208 mark right at 3 hours and the smoke ring (or smoke penetration) was beautiful. Sorry no pics :-)

Next time I think I will let it go to 215 internal and see what that does.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:42 AM 06-30-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
So I did my first Chuckie last night. It was a 3.5lb hunk of meat. I did it hot and fast in the UDS. I simply put kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of cumin on it. I had read that 200 internal was prime pulling temp, and then read further that sometimes Chuckies need to go to 210-215 to pull. Well, I went in the middle sort of and pulled it at 208 and let sit for about an hour. The real test was how did it taste.... Let's just say I will be picking up a few more Chuckie's when they go on sale. My wife loved it and I thought it tasted like beefy butta. :-)

About 40% of it pulled pretty easily. Not as easy as a good pork butt, but still pulled well. The other 60% was a bit tougher but makes for very good chunks. The hot and fast method was awesome!! I hit the 208 mark right at 3 hours and the smoke ring (or smoke penetration) was beautiful. Sorry no pics :-)

Next time I think I will let it go to 215 internal and see what that does.

Was any of that cooking time while it was wrapped in foil or was it bare the entire time?
[Reply]
wayner123 11:26 AM 06-30-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Was any of that cooking time while it was wrapped in foil or was it bare the entire time?
The last hour was in foil. I used this method here: http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/0...f-chuckie.html

I was surprised at how well the smoke penetration was and the nice flavor. Not to mention cutting the time in half. Only thing I did different was to leave out the beer. I foiled it dry and let the juices steam it.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:50 AM 06-30-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
The last hour was in foil. I used this method here: http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/0...f-chuckie.html

I was surprised at how well the smoke penetration was and the nice flavor. Not to mention cutting the time in half. Only thing I did different was to leave out the beer. I foiled it dry and let the juices steam it.

:-)

Thanks
[Reply]
Ender 06:16 AM 07-01-2010
At 7a today I started my smoker with two slabs of ribs.....at work....That's right....AT WORK! How blessed am I?!!:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 06:34 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Ender:
At 7a today I started my smoker with two slabs of ribs.....at work....That's right....AT WORK! How blessed am I?!!:-)
Nice! :-)
[Reply]
timj219 07:40 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
if anybody is interested in some mulberry wood, let me know. i took down a large tree that was choking an apple tree in the back of my yard beginning of spring. i sent some off to a brother here a while back, and it wasnt too expensive, maybe 20$ for 15 pounds or so. cant remember exactly. let me know, just cover shipping. working on chopping the rest of it up in the next few days.
I don't suppose you have a spanish cedar tree in the back yard that needs cutting?
[Reply]
OLS 08:27 AM 07-01-2010
Mister B, I am just sorry, but your avatar makes me smile EVERY DAY I SEE IT.
I also have decided to let the Chuck take me away from Pork for awhile. I was smoking
either ribs or butts 2 weekends a month or MORE and I just got completely burnt out.
I would give away the meat to the landlady or at work or to the dogs. I just couldn't eat
it anymore. But that Chuck is mighty tasty.

As for smoking at work, I BEGGED the boss and bookeeper to let me go out and get a
cheap smoker for work, just to keep me from having to drag mine over here. Everybody
wants to eat, nobody wants to pay for the hardware. So I have gotten to the point
where I think they just don't deserve it.
[Reply]
timj219 08:56 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
So im in the market for a new smoker and want to spend less than 200$. Ive had what i think was a big green egg that really did not do a good job, and a vertical smoker that i think was made by chargrill that was ok. Im thinking of moving to a regular grill with a smoke basket on the side but it seems like the temp would be an issue and i would have to add a lot of charcoal to the main body, any suggestions?
I'll ditto Pete on the Chargriller. That's a picture of one in my avatar and I've been using it for almost 10 years. I can maintain 180-200 by using wood or charcoal in the side box but it does require watching. I did burn the paint off the top of the smoke box after a few years and had to spraypaint with high temp paint. Also had to replace the thermometer last year. The only thing I've ever been displeased with is the custom fit cover. I bought two which each only lasted 1 year before falling apart. Now I just cover it with a tarp.
Also as a grill it's top notch. Tall enough for beer can chicken and big enough to cook for a crowd. You can also use the side box for additional grilling space.
Amazing value IMO.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:01 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Mister B, I am just sorry, but your avatar makes me smile EVERY DAY I SEE IT.
I also have decided to let the Chuck take me away from Pork for awhile. I was smoking
either ribs or butts 2 weekends a month or MORE and I just got completely burnt out.
I would give away the meat to the landlady or at work or to the dogs. I just couldn't eat
it anymore. But that Chuck is mighty tasty.

As for smoking at work, I BEGGED the boss and bookeeper to let me go out and get a
cheap smoker for work, just to keep me from having to drag mine over here. Everybody
wants to eat, nobody wants to pay for the hardware. So I have gotten to the point
where I think they just don't deserve it.
Thanks for the Avatar love. ya gotta miss Farley.

I'll be doing some Pork ribs over the weekend, then I'll be back to the Chuckie again. Its nice going back & forth between the Beef & Pork. Try the Lamb sometime too.
[Reply]
T.G 11:08 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Try the Lamb sometime too.
I am still trying to find a butcher around here that will cut me lamb breasts like Luke (tuxpuff) posted.

None of them even knew what it is. I had to get Luke to send me a link to a good meat cutting chart so I can take it in and show these knuckleheads what a lamb breast is. :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:36 AM 07-01-2010
It would probably be wickedly expensive...but I'll throw it out there. If anyone wants to pay for packaging and shipping I can easily get frozen lamb breast.
[Reply]
LooseCard 11:40 AM 07-01-2010
You SUCK!

spoken out of pure jealousy......

:-) being paid to smoke food.... NICE!
[Reply]
Mr B 12:35 PM 07-01-2010
Been thinkin for doin that one myself. One of these days.
[Reply]
Ender 04:58 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
You SUCK!

spoken out of pure jealousy......

:-) being paid to smoke food.... NICE!
Yeah, it was rough having to sit and watch it while I smoked a cigar. It pays to be activity director.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:01 AM 07-02-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I am still trying to find a butcher around here that will cut me lamb breasts like Luke (tuxpuff) posted.

None of them even knew what it is. I had to get Luke to send me a link to a good meat cutting chart so I can take it in and show these knuckleheads what a lamb breast is. :-)
If you are putting lamb on the smoker. Lamb shoulder is the best pick, followed by rear legs. Just buy the front half of a whole lamb. Any butcher can do that.
[Reply]
LooseCard 09:09 AM 07-02-2010
Yeah, it was rough having to sit and watch it while I smoked a cigar. It pays to be activity director.

I have two words for you :-)

and they're not Merry Christmas......

You REALLY suck!

(and the two words... more jealous!) :-)
[Reply]
LooseCard 09:42 AM 07-02-2010
I have a 3-pack of cryovak Baby Backs, to try the BRITU recipe (my first Ribs!) this weekend.

Two birds to beer-butt, and I'm picking up a couple of Pork Butts to smoke this weekend for the picnic at The House of 'Phat.

And grillin' Steak Tips for tonight.

It's going to be a good weekend!
[Reply]
Page 43 of 270
« First < 33414243 44455393143 > Last »
Up