Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 42 of 270
« First < 32404142 43445292142 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Smokin Gator 11:46 AM 06-26-2010
Killer looking eats Brad!!!
[Reply]
kydsid 01:43 PM 06-26-2010
I got two chickens on right now and some ABT's and Moinks to go on in a bit.

About how long should abt's and moinks be smoked?
[Reply]
OLS 02:13 PM 06-26-2010
To ME, and remember that I never did the Moinks, and I have only two batches of ABTs
under my belt, but to me I cook it til the bacon is the way I like it, what's underneath be
damned. I like my bacon crispy. This may not be possible purely with smoking.
I like to give them their own special attention over a hot fire. Something that my help ME
more than some who use a special rack, or who just lay em down, is I cook mine in a foil trough.
so to a certain extent they stand up in a puddle of their ownn fat for 80 percent of the cooking
time. It makes the bacon crispy, AND takes some of the hot out of the pepper.
[Reply]
Ender 06:06 PM 06-26-2010
Just scarfed down a pork roast that took 5 hours and baby back ribs that took 6 hours with my neighbor. I also did Salmon but ruined it. A lesson learned that I gotta watch the Salmon more closely.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:23 PM 06-26-2010
So im in the market for a new smoker and want to spend less than 200$. Ive had what i think was a big green egg that really did not do a good job, and a vertical smoker that i think was made by chargrill that was ok. Im thinking of moving to a regular grill with a smoke basket on the side but it seems like the temp would be an issue and i would have to add a lot of charcoal to the main body, any suggestions?
[Reply]
Superbad 08:01 PM 06-26-2010
Meant to post this last weekend. These are my Father's Day Ribs I made. Came out very tasty.
Attached: DSC_0338.jpg (45.9 KB) DSC_0339.jpg (47.8 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 10:42 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo:
A lot of great info here, much to think about. This thread needs an acronym dictionary, I get confused! (WSM, ECE, BGS, UDS, etc...)
Originally Posted by wayner123:
UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker
WSM = Weber Smokey Mountain
BGS?
ECE?

There is also BGE = Big Green Egg

I love my offset, don't get me wrong. I have a BSnP (Brinkmann smoke n pit), the older more heavy duty one. It turns out Q like no other. But I have done a variety of mods on it, and it still needs to be tended like a child. I don't know of any offset that you could leave for more than say 1-2 hours, except those 5 figure insulated Jamie Geer (Jambo Pits) smokers. That might be your idea of getting out of the house, but for me I prefer the 'set and kinda forget' of the UDS and WSM.

Add to that list

ECB: El Cheapo Brinkmann - aka Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill. The vertical smokers styled after the WSM that you get for like $38 at wal-mart.

Charbroil also makes some that are basically identical to the ECB, just slighlty heavier metal and they are bright red.

They work, but they need more attention than the WSM & UDS.
[Reply]
T.G 11:03 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
Has anyone evr used peach wood to smoke? I would think it would go best with pork or chicken but I have no cluse as to how it would turn out. I have some from a large tree branch I just trimmed and want to know if it's worth keeping the wood.

Most definitely worth keeping.

You can BBQ/smoke with just about any fruit wood (I've actually never heard of one you can't BBQ/smoke over) and quite a number of hardwoods.

Peach is FANTASTIC for pork. Great on poultry. Good on fowl. Lost on beef. Fish kind of depends on the fish.

You can do peach wood straight up or mix it with other woods.

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
I am thinking of going to an apple farm to ask about some apple wood. Is it worth the time? I have one about 25 mins away. I have never used apple.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can get it, sure. Apple is a great wood, has a unique pungent flavor and odor. Also, nothing will give a wonderfully gorgeous golden brown color to chicken like apple will.

Good as part of a blend of woods. I like mixing it with hickory and sometimes mesquite, when I want to tone them down a bit. Good for milder meats (everything but red meat, it seems to get lost there).

Makes for some killer interesting smoked extra sharp cedar cheese too.

------------

Experimentation is the best way to learn what you like and don't like and what goes well together and what doesn't.

You can smoke with most any fruit or nut wood, in fact, I don't think I've ever heard of one you can't BBQ/smoke with. As for hardwoods, most hardwoods are ok too, but there are a few exceptions.

Here's a list and some descriptions to get you started:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html
[Reply]
T.G 11:06 PM 06-26-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
OK, the results are in and it was a goodie. Cooked off the Flamin'Burgers first on the hot coals, might have let em
get a bit done for fridge burgers. you should leave some good pink in there for when you nuke em later in the week.
Then I threw on a small chuck roast that had been coated in rub the night before. Seared it on two sides and left
it to smoke for three hours. Sliced it with the grain cause it was so small. The slices chew extremely well regardless.
I tasted everything, the burgers were crispy on the outside, crumbly on the inside. A sure sign of being worked JUST
enough to mix in the spice and binder. The chuck was pure heaven, a nice spicy bark and a pure sweet beef flavor inside.
Outstanding flavor all around.

I should have expected it bro. You finally post photos in the BBQ/Smoker thread, and it's photos of grilling....

:-)
[Reply]
kydsid 10:14 AM 06-27-2010
ols just cant buy a break around here :-)

btw 2.5 hrs on the abt's turned out great. the chicken was done with cherry and pecan and was superb.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
captain53 10:23 AM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Meant to post this last weekend. These are my Father's Day Ribs I made. Came out very tasty.
I wish I could buy some meaty ribs like those, really hard to find small bone ribs with lots of meat.
[Reply]
Superbad 01:29 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
I wish I could buy some meaty ribs like those, really hard to find small bone ribs with lots of meat.
Publix has a great meat dept.
[Reply]
Pistol 07:04 PM 06-27-2010
Still waiting on a butt to finish up, sitting on 175 degrees internal right now. Shouldn't be too much longer... The thought of pulled pork is enough to make my mouth water right now!
[Reply]
Pistol 07:08 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
So im in the market for a new smoker and want to spend less than 200$. Ive had what i think was a big green egg that really did not do a good job, and a vertical smoker that i think was made by chargrill that was ok. Im thinking of moving to a regular grill with a smoke basket on the side but it seems like the temp would be an issue and i would have to add a lot of charcoal to the main body, any suggestions?
I have a chargriller with a side smokebox that works great. I like to smoke at 250 degrees, and that's easily achievable by building my fire on the right half of the box. Get this unit from Lowe's, and buy the side firebox seperate for another $65, and that gets you right to $200. Oh yeah, just ask for 15% off and they give it to you! http://www.lowes.com/pd_44754-49769-...CorrectedTerm= Here's the side firebox that you need to buy and hook up http://www.lowes.com/pd_11236-49769-...CorrectedTerm=
[Reply]
OLS 07:04 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I should have expected it bro. You finally post photos in the BBQ/Smoker thread, and it's photos of grilling....:-)
Ah, but that's where you are wrong!
I grilled the burgers while the fire was working itself out, than took them off
the grill, then seared my chuck roast, put my remaining hickory chunks
on the coals and dropped the lid. It was smoked.

Oh and btw, that ground meat was reduced, (Hey, it's a recession!)so even
though it LOOKS well done in the middle, it was just that odd shade of grey-
brown that reduced meat takes on. They were quite NOT well done.
[Reply]
HK3- 07:04 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
BRTU baby!

Ribs = nice fun, messy, delicious finger food!

Depending on the kids, you might want to back off the cayenne power in the rub and go with more chili powder (which should be milder) or even substitute with paprika (which will most definitely be milder). Then again, by that age, I was already eating entire jars of chili paste with a spoon, so you might not need to modify anything.
Smoked two slabs and a handful of chicken breast with the BRTU recipe on Saturday. They were excellent! Need to find better ribs because the ones I picked up were pretty fatty. Thanks for the great recipe! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:17 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Ah, but that's where you are wrong!
I grilled the burgers while the fire was working itself out, than took them off
the grill, then seared my chuck roast, put my remaining hickory chunks
on the coals and dropped the lid. It was smoked.
Nah. Never happened.

"Dear Penthouse Forums, I put some meat on the BBQ yesterday and..."
[Reply]
GodOfFire 10:06 AM 06-28-2010
A couple of quick questions for you BBQ smokers out there...

Just grilled some bacon, which is a great snack by the way. However, at the farmer's market this bacon was "black forest smoked" what does that mean. It sure is tasty.

Also has anyone actually tried smoking bacon? What was it like how did it turn out?

Also did you do a full smoke to eat right away or a partial smoke to store and cook traditionally later?

Just was enjoying my cigar on the deck of our vacation cabin and started thinking about this and figured this would be the best place to ask around.

Thanks
[Reply]
T.G 10:27 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by GodOfFire:
A couple of quick questions for you BBQ smokers out there...

Just grilled some bacon, which is a great snack by the way. However, at the farmer's market this bacon was "black forest smoked" what does that mean. It sure is tasty.
It means nothing for certain. It most likely is a reference to some level of mimicking the style of curing and wood choices used for smoking meats in the Black Forest region of Germany. Or it could just be a name/marketing, as there are no rules/laws in place in this country to prevent the use of the name. Some "Black Forest" named products are very close to the German style, some not.
[Reply]
jledou 11:37 AM 06-28-2010
Just a small army eating, the turkey was for my neighbors and the butt and brisket were for the guys night out. 8 people were able to polish off the brisket and butt between dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day.
Attached: IMG00010-20100625-2219.jpg (84.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 42 of 270
« First < 32404142 43445292142 > Last »
Up