Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 40 of 270
« First < 30383940 41425090140 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
T.G 01:01 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
You can also simmer or pressure cook the butt and then put it on the smoker to finish. Simmer for a 2 hours or so. I am not an expert on pressure cooking, but I think 1.5 hours will suffice then a few hours on the smoker. Both methods will allow the seasoned cooking fluid to get into the meat better than just seasoning the butt (which gets little penetration).

Both methods can be done ahead of time and then put the cooled half-cooked butt on the smoker the next day.
First off, you never rush BBQ.

Second, you don't need to worry about seasoning all the way through the meat for a pull since you're going to shred it and mix it all up anyway.

If you pressure cook the butt, you might as well just skip the smoker, add some liquid smoke to the pressure cooker "broth" and just go from the pressure cooker to the oven, since the pressure cooker will take the meat temperate up past the point at which the proteins bind so it won't really absorb any smoke flavor. You'll get some residue sitting on the surface but that's about it.

If you want liquid seasoning in the meat, marinade for 24-48 hours. Or get an injector. Or stab it and stuff garlic cloves and dry seasoning into the stab wounds. Just rubbing the meat with seasoning, wrapping tightly in saran wrap and leaving it in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours will also impart flavor into the meat.

If you want to speed up a butt cook, smoke it until it hits anywhere from 140 to 160, double wrap tightly in foil (shiny side IN - be amazed how many people f-that up), then up your smoker temperature to about 245F and let the meat cook until it hits about 200-205F internal. The foil will trap the heat and cause a faster temperature rise, while the trapped juices will braise the meat and break down the connective tissues rather quickly. If you are doing smaller cuts, or lower fat cuts, it will also help reduce the chances of drying out. Overall, I've found it reduces the cooking times by about 15-20% give or take.
[Reply]
OLS 02:10 PM 06-24-2010
Only change I would make in that Moink recipe, never having done it before, is to skimp on
the bacon and cut it into 3rds. Bacon can be applied in two ways, stretch and non-stretch.
I like to stretch when I apply it to long peppers (btw TG, I did these in the mountains last
weekend and they were Anaheims and they ROCKED) But bacon will stretch a long ways and
not tear. It would be GOOD the other way, but half a slice of bacon for a meatball seems
like alot of bacon. But they ARE MOINKS and not MOOINKS, so maybe bacon is a real major
ingredient. But the stuff is so expensive. If I used an entire half-slice, I would wrap
the entire meatball, not just around the equator. Blablabla. Great, now I have to make
those, too. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:01 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
First off, you never rush BBQ.

Second, you don't need to worry about seasoning all the way through the meat for a pull since you're going to shred it and mix it all up anyway.

If you pressure cook the butt, you might as well just skip the smoker, add some liquid smoke to the pressure cooker "broth" and just go from the pressure cooker to the oven, since the pressure cooker will take the meat temperate up past the point at which the proteins bind so it won't really absorb any smoke flavor. You'll get some residue sitting on the surface but that's about it.
I don't rush it, but that is his intention. I figure out when I want to serve it and just go back in time to know when I have to put it on.

I have had the pressure cooked then smoked butts a few times and for sure it's different than doing butts "traditionally". They were all with jerk seasoning.
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 08:34 AM 06-25-2010
Been dying to get into smoking but not sure what I should go for to begin with.

Will this do the trick for a beginner or should I go for something more robust?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil...44440301526288
[Reply]
OLS 08:56 AM 06-25-2010
That's the biggest debate in the world, I think. But if you can get that rig at
that price, I say jump on it now. I paid 139 for the grill without the firebox.
I can PM you the link to the modifications that make it more effective.
Simple stuff, fun with dryer hose. But that'll do you. Most will tell you
that you should double that cost and get a Weber Smokey Mountain.
I don't agree, I think that this unit serves as a perfectly workable smoker,
but also gives you a huge grill surface for direct grilling. And you can raise
or lower the coals in two seconds with this rig, which to me is outstanding.
Yeah, I like the Char-Griller.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:17 AM 06-25-2010
OLS Char-Griller and Char-Broil are two different companies. I have a Char-Griller and I love mine. When I was looking I just wasn't impressed with Char-Broil's offest smoker/grill combo's. They just felt flimsy. I think you can get a good smoke with it but I don't think it'll last more than a couple years.

I'd say it depends how long you are gonna keep the grill/smoker.
[Reply]
OLS 09:24 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
OLS Char-Griller and Char-Broil are two different companies. I have a Char-Griller and I love mine. When I was looking I just wasn't impressed with Char-Broil's offest smoker/grill combo's. They just felt flimsy. I think you can get a good smoke with it but I don't think it'll last more than a couple years.

Oh-HO, I totally missed that. I guess they all look alike to me, lol.
That would explain why the price is significantly lower. That would also
explain why the firebox is on the opposite side, lol. Like KYdsid said, if
you want to give it a shot based on cost, and knowing it is an exploration
of sorts, you might be OK. But I vote with him on the Char-Griller. (Lowe's)
I do not think I really needed to get a new smoker, especially based on the
fact I am trying to find a way OUT of Memphis, but the grill grates were getting
thin on my old rig and the bottom was coming apart. I should have waited awhile
to get the CG, but I didn't and now I will have to MOVE it, lol.
But a word to your mutha, I DID NOT get the firebox, and I still smoke every
couple weekends in the indirect method, and very successfully.
Maybe going whole hog so to speak is better left for when you are hooked.
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 09:26 AM 06-25-2010

So would this one be better.

http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=34
[Reply]
kydsid 09:26 AM 06-25-2010
The Char-Griller side fire box is less than $50. Just sayin. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 09:30 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo:
So would this one be better.

http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=34
Dunno stupid websense is blocking the site. But the biggest thing Char Griller has going for it is that it is thick gauge steel compared to the other manufacturers. Trust me you'll notice it when you go pick up the box. :-)

This is the one I bought though: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...2&postcount=40
[Reply]
wayner123 09:35 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo:
Been dying to get into smoking but not sure what I should go for to begin with.

Will this do the trick for a beginner or should I go for something more robust?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil...44440301526288
Build a UDS. Simple to build, cheap, and turns out great BBQ. Offsets are great if you don't mind sitting by the smoker, adding wood. But the UDS is better imo for a starter.

The Weber Smokey Mountain is another great smoker, but very expensive.
[Reply]
OLS 09:54 AM 06-25-2010
Agreements on the heaviness of the box, lol. I was hearing complaints about how the steel was
nothing like the OLD Char-grillers, but I found it to be fine at 1/8 inch thick. It ain't no 1/4 inch
trailer rig, but it works. As for the UDS, I would like to have one one day, but not at this flux
stage of my life. Not sure Roger wants to build one, either. But you never know. The UDS is
more of a comittment to smoking that I get from his words that he is not quite ready for. The
Char Griller is much more versatile than a UDS as well.
Sometimes people like to grill a steak or burgers. UDS are for smoking. You can cook on one,
but it is more trouble than with the Char-Griller, IMO.
[Reply]
OLS 09:56 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
The Weber Smokey Mountain is another great smoker, but very expensive.
And granted, if I had my druthers for a smoker, I would take the UDS over the BGE or the WSM.
[Reply]
OLS 10:01 AM 06-25-2010
The Char-Griller side fire box is less than $50. Just sayin. :-)
You know I never even THOUGHT about buying the SFB model or the add-on.
Well, that's not true, it was a money deal, but when I smoke, it has always been
meat on the left 2/3 of the grill, coals on the right 1/3, throw some chips on the
coals and go upstairs for a few hours and check later. I turn out great food with
indirect grilling. I would LIKE to have the box, but I do not miss it at all. A man
adapts, lol. Plus the fire box always peels paint or rusts, and my grill just rolls on
with it's original powder coat finish, lol.

Of course, like TG says, MAYBE I turn out great food. No one has ever seen it, lol.
[Reply]
T.G 10:28 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
That's the biggest debate in the world, I think.
It's definately right up there with cello on or off.

Roger,

WSM, side-firebox, ECB, UDS, firebricks inside a weber kettle, BGE, whatever; Each of those pits has different characteristics that make it stronger in some areas and possibly weaker in others, but it really comes down to how much you're going to use it, how much you want to spend to get it and spending the time to learn your pit after you buy it or build it.

Don't let the idea of having to modify the pit slightly deter you from one or the other, with the possible exception of the BGE, any of those pits, including the WSM, could need tweaking or modification coming out of the box. It's not a big deal.
[Reply]
T.G 10:36 AM 06-25-2010
Of course, like TG says, MAYBE I turn out great food. No one has ever seen it, lol.

LOL.

I was never questioning the quality of what you turned out, I was quesitoning if it even existed or not. :-)

Nah, I'm just flippin' you crap bro, see, I have a grill or a smoker going 4-6 times a week on the average, sometimes even more, (I think this week it was more like 10-12 because in addition to the norm, I was cold smoking cheese every night in a second rig, each night with a different smoke wood so I can compare the results eventually) and I don't take pictures of everything either.

--------

BTW: just noticed the comment about anaheim chilies for the abts, cool. (did I make that sugguestion? I forget...)
[Reply]
GodOfFire 10:48 AM 06-25-2010
LOL.

I was never questioning the quality of what you turned out, I was quesitoning if it even existed or not. :-)

Nah, I'm just flippin' you crap bro, see, I have a grill or a smoker going 4-6 times a week on the average, sometimes even more, (I think this week it was more like 10-12 because in addition to the norm, I was cold smoking cheese every night in a second rig, each night with a different smoke wood so I can compare the results eventually) and I don't take pictures of everything either.

--------

BTW: just noticed the comment about anaheim chilies for the abts, cool. (did I make that sugguestion? I forget...)
how do you cold smoke cheese?
[Reply]
LooseCard 11:06 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by GodOfFire:
Tim can and new Soldering Iron. Simpleest way! :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's the biggest debate in the world
It's definately right up there with cello on or off.

Roger,

WSM, side-firebox, ECB, UDS, firebricks inside a weber kettle, BGE, whatever; Each of those pits has different characteristics that make it stronger in some areas and possibly weaker in others, but it really comes down to how much you're going to use it, how much you want to spend to get it and spending the time to learn your pit after you buy it or build it.

Don't let the idea of having to modify the pit slightly deter you from one or the other, with the possible exception of the BGE, any of those pits, including the WSM, could need tweaking or modification coming out of the box. It's not a big deal.
Listen to TG. - Also, consider where you're going to keep and/or use it.
Make sure you are making a purchase that will fit where you are thinking.

I started with a Char-grill 'capsule' style, and have worn that out. Yes, I upgraded to the Weber and have never looked back.
I use my for grilling too, and not just smoking. I cooked off some Drummies and thighs, and the wife was amzed at how tastey they were (I hads to explain the charcoal vs. Gas difference).
[Reply]
T.G 11:27 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by LooseCard:
Originally Posted by GodOfFire:
Tim can and new Soldering Iron. Simpleest way! :-)
Bingo.

GOF,

I wrote a post on it here with some links and notes:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...209#post893209

Some rambling notes in there, hopefully they'll save people a little bit of time.

A few pages back, I posted a photo, although I don't think the photo shows the smoker can, just a loaded cooking grate (and it was a crappy photo too).

PS: Happy to report that I still have not managed to burn up the new 20W Weller iron that I picked up (SP23L something like that). Even after a two hour long run last night.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:47 AM 06-25-2010
That's the biggest debate in the world, I think. But if you can get that rig at
that price, I say jump on it now. I paid 139 for the grill without the firebox.
I can PM you the link to the modifications that make it more effective.
Simple stuff, fun with dryer hose. But that'll do you. Most will tell you
that you should double that cost and get a Weber Smokey Mountain.
It sure is a debate and I would get the WSM. I have owned both and the WSM is much easier to make BBQ. Grilling, it's limited, but for pure BBQ, the WSM has a steadier temperature and uses less charcoal.

I like being able to use logs on the offset style and it is much better for grilling.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 270
« First < 30383940 41425090140 > Last »
Up