Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Time To Get Started....
JimFishIII 06:18 PM 04-26-2015
So I'm ready to start acquiring some sticks and obviously I need some storage. Seems the biggest bang for the buck to get started is a coolerdor. I've done a little hunting around, and it looks like a 56 quart will get me started (for a week or two lol)...and it looks like the popular necessities are some type of humidification (beads...cigar oasis...etc) and a digital hygrometer.

First question...is a cigar oasis and a digital hygrometer sufficient? Or do I need beads also...and if so how many (much?)

Or is there a better low cost high volume solution for a newbie...

Thanks in advance for the advice....
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:27 PM 04-26-2015
If you are just getting into smoking you might want to start with a Tupperware--ador, or even two.

For a cooler or a Tupperware or a desktop humidor beads are just fine, an Oasis would be overkill and not needed at all for the items listed.

A digital hygrometer works for any and all three yet might no be needed for Tupperware just starting out.

It really depends on how you want to start, starting small and exploring cigars and trying to find what your preferences are, then Tupperware or a small desktop humi with a digital hygrometer would hit the spot, everyone always say get bigger than you think you need, but you can always save that for step two.

Are you going to buy singles (or 2s or 3s) to start or do you know what you like and you'll be buying boxes, that makes a difference.

btw you can buy Shilala beads here http://www.cigarbeads.com/
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:29 PM 04-26-2015
I would go beads...

Here's the calculator for your 56qt:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

You can purchase the beads there as well...
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:31 PM 04-26-2015
Welcome to the site!

The oasis will be overkill. I'd go with beads of some sort, either Heartfelt or HCM.

Both sites will have a calculator to know how much you need too.

Dang, yall beat me to the response!
[Reply]
afranco 09:30 PM 04-28-2015
Do it right the first time brother, Wineador alll the wayyyy !!!! Good luck and enjoy !!
[Reply]
JimFishIII 09:20 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by afranco:
Do it right the first time brother, Wineador alll the wayyyy !!!! Good luck and enjoy !!
I'm not real handy - don't like tools. Are the pre-made ones available on Amazon and other places worth investing in?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:26 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by afranco:
Do it right? So you meant Aristocrat all way, correct?
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:54 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by JimFishIII:
I'm not real handy - don't like tools. Are the pre-made ones available on Amazon and other places worth investing in?
You can use any wine cooler / wine refrigerator as a humidor. if you have high ambient temps then you need to plug it in and use the cooling unit. Otherwise, leaving it unplugged is OK. Just plug the drain hole, add some beads and you are good to go.

Of course, you can go the extra mile and replace the wire shelving with custom drawers or shelves -- there are several good sources, For example: http://wineadors.com/index.html.

If you do need to use the cooling unit then I would recommend a thermoelectric unit rather than the older compressor-based models.

Or, like Adam mentioned, buy an Aristocrat -- probably best humidor you can get.
[Reply]
JimFishIII 11:09 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Do it right? So you meant Aristocrat all way, correct?
Some day....unless I can make this purchase as a wedding gift for my daughter this year...and I'm not sure that would fly :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:10 AM 04-29-2015
The "pre-made" winadors from NewAir are fairly overpriced, just as an FYI.
[Reply]
czerbe 12:25 PM 04-29-2015
I say start small maybe a small Walk in Humidor in your home.. you know nothing crazy :-):-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:09 PM 04-29-2015
Well if you're going to do it right :-)

Of course as you can see by the cut under my name here, I'm obviously not doing it right... it says so.
[Reply]
Up