Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Gurkha Assassin Torpedo - Any Comments?
Ferrari5180 02:56 PM 02-06-2010
I just ordered a box of Gurkha Assassins Torpedo's. Has anyone tried these? if so, what are your comments/reviews. Thanks
[Reply]
icehog3 03:13 PM 02-06-2010
I mioved this to "All Cigar Discussion" Forum as it is not a review.
[Reply]
md4958 03:16 PM 02-06-2010
Calro, wouldnt it have made more sense to ask for input BEFORE ordering your cigars?

Had you done so, I would have told you that every Gurkha I have ever tried has tasted like dirt. Not "earth", dirt.

Some people like that flavor profile in their cigars, I do not. my :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 03:18 PM 02-06-2010
Well that is not good. However, I would like more input than just one person. They were relatively cheap and I wanted to try them. If they suck, I will let them age in my humi.

Hopefully someone can attest for them being other than bad. Thanks

PS: Quite a few people told me they were good, but I figured I would ask on CA. Have you actually had the Assassin or just Gurkhas in general and did not like them.
[Reply]
pnoon 03:22 PM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180:
However, I would like more input than just one person.
Very smart.
If they suck, I will let them age in my humi.
Then you will have aged cigars that suck. Aging bad cigars will not make them good.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:31 PM 02-06-2010
I have smoked several Gurkhas, and I too thought they all tasted like "dirt". Not trying to be sarcastic, that is the actual flavor profile on my palate. I am not sure if I have had the Assassin, but if I haven't, I can guarantee you I won't.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:33 PM 02-06-2010
Ill add some input. FWIW, I don't like Gurkhas at ALL. Actually, I could post what I really think, and probably piss off all the Gurkha lovers. Are there any Gurkha lovers?:-) But what really counts is what you like. Its your palate, and you should only smoke what you like, not what other people tell you. Try them out, and if you like them, then thats great:-) Also, another thing to consider, is that are palates change and our perception of what tastes good changes over time.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 03:34 PM 02-06-2010
I had ordered some Oliva G's, El Baton's (Had plenty of friends who found them Fantastic) and some Saint Luis Reys, so I figured wtv, I'll throw some Gurkhas and test my luck....

I am just looking for some people who tried them, whether good or not. I have had some people tell me some cigars were awesome, when they sucked badly and vice-versa.
[Reply]
md4958 03:34 PM 02-06-2010
Have you actually had the Assassin or just Gurkhas in general and did not like them.
Both

Ancient warrior- dirt
black dragon- dirt
regent- dirt
legend- dirt
grand reserve- cognac infused dirt

Like I said, some guys LOVE gurkhas. I certainly hope you are one of them. In bocca al lupo! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 03:35 PM 02-06-2010
I am just looking for some people who tried them, whether good or not. I have had some people tell me some cigars were awesome, when they sucked badly and vice-versa.
That's the thing...what sucks for me may be a jewel for you. The only way you will find out is to try...Good luck, look forward to hearing your thoughts after smoking one. :-)
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 03:38 PM 02-06-2010
Yeah, I ordered them from Atlantic, will be getting them shortly and of course reviewing them. There are absolutely 0 reviews of them on the net from what I see, unless someone has a website with them available as a review. I just heard mixed comments from people. I guess I will just have to man up.

Worse comes to worse, if they taste like dirt I am going to throw them in my backyard as soil fertilizer so I can grow my tomatoes. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 03:39 PM 02-06-2010
Worse comes to worse, if they taste like dirt I am going to throw them in my backyard as soil fertilizer so I can grow my tomatoes. :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 03:45 PM 02-06-2010
I've tried a hand full of Gurkha's and have had mixed experiences. Her are some of them.

Legend- Dirt and gas, it sucked
Blue Steel- Musky, it was somewhat good
Dos Capas- Sweet but WAY too mild
Grand reserve- Mild, one dimensional, but enjoyable for half of the stick
Black Dragon- I used to like them a lot at first, now I think they're okay

I wouldn't pay much for any of the Gurkha's I've enjoyed and wouldn't buy the others at all. The Assassin on the other hand is pretty good IMO. I went to a tasting at West Coast recently and was handed one. I enjoyed it. It wasn't like any other Gurkha I've had. I even picked up two of them to get a raffle ticket for their drawing. It was actually complex and quite strong. I enjoyed it and would smoke it again.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 03:49 PM 02-06-2010
The ash from cigar's is excellent for tomatoes but the rest of the cigar should stay away from your garden. I'm sure you're joking but if you don't like them I might not mind a trade down the road or you can donate them to the troops.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 03:49 PM 02-06-2010
I've had a Grand Age that had decent flavors. Too bad they superglued the band to the wrapper and it basically destroyed the stick when I had to remove it.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:53 PM 02-06-2010
Not a fan of the cigar but the boxes on these are very nice. I think they put more thought into the packaging and presentation than the cigars they contain. It's worked for them so far, I reckon.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 03:54 PM 02-06-2010
I just ordered a box of Gurkha Assassins Torpedo's. Has anyone tried these? if so, what are your comments/reviews. Thanks
Carlo, like most inmates here, I don't care for Gurkhas. Do they taste like dirt? I'm not sure I would go as far as saying they taste dirt. Just not my flavor profile. Okay back to these cigars!

I was in my shop when a few guys (3 to be exact) came in there asking for them. They told me that, these were the best out of the Gurkha line (42342142234 something blend). These are suppose to be the most full bodied out of the line.

Hope they work out for you.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:56 PM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
These are suppose to be the most full bodied out of the line.
That was before they came out with blend 42342142235, the Evil. :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:04 PM 02-06-2010
Like others, most of my experience with with Gurkha have been blah. But, for some reason, I like the Nepalese Warrior for an afternoon smoke. You just never know!
[Reply]
mariogolbee 04:27 PM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Not a fan of the cigar but the boxes on these are very nice. I think they put more thought into the packaging and presentation than the cigars they contain. It's worked for them so far, I reckon.
I was wondering about that and was told that Kansotia was a jewelry box maker before he bought Gurkha from a mom and pop shop.

Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
I was in my shop when a few guys (3 to be exact) came in there asking for them. They told me that, these were the best out of the Gurkha line (42342142234 something blend). These are suppose to be the most full bodied out of the line.
When the rep asked me what I like at the tasting I told her full bodied smokes. She smiled, handed me one of the Assassins and told me it is the most full bodied in the line.

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
That was before they came out with blend 42342142235, the Evil. :-)
The Evil is the except for I think the wrapper or filler. I'm pretty sure it's that the Evil doesn't contain the Indonesian portion of filler so it's less full bodied. I think...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up