Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 39 of 138
« First < 29373839 40414989 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 04:08 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy:
I'm in Indiana and it's been really humid here. I don't have a humidor yet and thought I'd better smoke what I bought last week before they degrade.
Likley that is your problem right there. Air is too moist, cigars might also be too moist.

Here is another question. I get the humidor 70% thing but what about temps? I don't have A/C and sometimes it gets pretty darn hot here. Is it ever better to move the humidor into the fridge on a really hot day??
I've found less burn problems and better flavors at 60%-65% than 70%RH. Oh, and no mold issues either.

Moving the humidor into the refrigerator is probably not a great idea.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:10 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
What are you keeping your humidors at?
They are just about a week from the "fancy cigar store". Since then, they've been in a plastic bag but now they are gone (up in smoke if you will).
[Reply]
chachee52 08:11 PM 07-20-2010
You can smoke fresh rolled cigars. Sometimes they are good to go, sometimes they need time. There really is no set rule.

A lot of it depends on how much age the leaves have before they were rolled. Also, depending on how moist the roller made the leaves when bunching, you mgiht run into a physical burn issue when trying to smoke them fresh.

Buy five. Smoke one. That will tell you right there about that particular cigar blend/size.
Thanks. Is it something that etiquette wise is ok to ask the roller?
[Reply]
postjack 08:59 PM 07-20-2010
I've read a few times around here recently things to the effect of "the glycol/sponge almost ruined my cigars". I keep the vast majority of my sticks in my Edgestar with beads, but do keep a handful of *coughacidcough* cigars in a couple of twenty count humidors, which I use the glycol solution and sponge device to humidify. it does keep the cigars a bit wet, sometime approaching 72%, but it seems to do pretty good. so should I worry?

thanks everyone.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:04 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by postjack:
I've read a few times around here recently things to the effect of "the glycol/sponge almost ruined my cigars". I keep the vast majority of my sticks in my Edgestar with beads, but do keep a handful of *coughacidcough* cigars in a couple of twenty count humidors, which I use the glycol solution and sponge device to humidify. it does keep the cigars a bit wet, sometime approaching 72%, but it seems to do pretty good. so should I worry?

thanks everyone.
Of course not. They're Acids. :-)
Seriously. You stated "it seems to do pretty good".
Nothing else matters. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:18 PM 07-20-2010
At 72%, I'd start worrying about mold.
[Reply]
postjack 06:41 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Of course not. They're Acids. :-)
Seriously. You stated "it seems to do pretty good".
Nothing else matters. :-)
i didn't say they were Acids! i just coughed. :-)

At 72%, I'd start worrying about mold.
right on, i'll keep an eye on 'em then. as of last night they were flying just below the 70% mark.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:32 AM 07-22-2010
Besides capacity, what is wrong with storing cigars in one of these travel humidors??
http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Caddy-10...sr=8-2-catcorr
[Reply]
Chingas 08:35 AM 07-22-2010
Besides capacity, what is wrong with storing cigars in one of these travel humidors??
The short answer...Nothing. That will do just fine.
[Reply]
Whee 08:41 AM 07-22-2010
I started out with travel humi and within three months had a 300ct, 150ct and a cooler.

Travel caddies will do just fine. I had cigars in mine for almost 8 weeks this spring while I was in Indiana and they smoked great.

Don't forget to mosey over to the new inmate section and post a hello, and check out the Monthly Hoosier Herf thread.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:48 AM 07-22-2010
What do you gain from a wood humidor over plastic?
[Reply]
kydsid 09:27 AM 07-22-2010
What do you gain from a wood humidor over plastic?
Over time, the spanish cedar used in a wood humidor can lend an effect to the taste of cigars but this takes a long time. Wood humidors are the traditional means simply because spanish cedar and other mahagonies can absorb and release water with little to no warping. This is handy obviously in the use of a humidor. Technology has come a long way in terms of humidification sources, especially in two way sources so that a wood humidor isn't really needed, but is still nice.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 07:42 PM 07-22-2010
Thanks for the input. This makes sense. My problem is that the temps in my house vary a lot through the seasons. The only cool place in the house in the summer is the floor of my furnace room (even though that sound contradictory).
I could place the plastic humidor on the floor and not worry about it. I'm afraid that a wooden box wouldn't fair so well on the concrete damp floor.
[Reply]
Chingas 07:54 PM 07-22-2010
Thanks for the input. This makes sense. My problem is that the temps in my house vary a lot through the seasons. The only cool place in the house in the summer is the floor of my furnace room (even though that sound contradictory).
I could place the plastic humidor on the floor and not worry about it. I'm afraid that a wooden box wouldn't fair so well on the concrete damp floor.
Hate to break it to you buddy but your at the Asylum now. Bigger boxes, multiple coolers and vinotemps are in your future weather you like it or not!
[Reply]
waffle 08:00 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Hate to break it to you buddy but your at the Asylum now. Bigger boxes, multiple coolers and vinotemps are in your future weather you like it or not!
Spoken like a true addict.... *written from next the cooler I had to get cuz my 25 and 150 are full after 1 month*
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:23 PM 07-22-2010
I got a new Blazer lighter. What brand of butane should I use. I keep reading "DONT USE CHEAP BUTANE".
[Reply]
Chingas 08:24 PM 07-22-2010
I use Vector.
[Reply]
markem 08:25 PM 07-22-2010
I got a new Blazer lighter. What brand of butane should I use. I keep reading "DONT USE CHEAP BUTANE".
Vector is very good. If you go to a cooking supply store, you should find it for a decent price as it is used in creme broulee torches (food grade)
[Reply]
waffle 08:26 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
Vector is very good. If you go to a cooking supply store, you should find it for a decent price as it is used in creme broulee torches (food grade)
+1 Vector is what I use.
[Reply]
Hoosierguy 08:36 PM 07-22-2010
Good a consensuses!
[Reply]
Page 39 of 138
« First < 29373839 40414989 > Last »
Up