Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>November 22, 1963. Remembering A Fallen BOTL
LPFerrante 07:50 AM 11-22-2019
Fifty-six years ago today, a BOTL would not be able to enjoy his favorite H. Upmann at the day's end. Whatever your location on the globe, whatever your political belief, when we light up tonight, let's give a thought to this quote that still applies and remember to enjoy every puff.
Attached: John F. Kennedy..jpg (46.6 KB) 
[Reply]
icehog3 08:42 AM 11-22-2019
Smoking an Upmann later today. Not old enough to remember Kennedy, but have loved the Salinger story forever.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 12:13 PM 11-22-2019
Not sure if it's the same story but I got a real kick reading about how JFK had someone run out to all the cigar stores around DC and buy up his H Upmanns before he signed the embargo...really a fascinating story.
On that note, as I recall, they discontinued his favorite size of Upmann correct? I want to say it was a petite corona, something like that? Regardless, if the HU #2 and Robusto are smoking anything like the blend he had, then he made the right decision to stock up on them. :-)
[Reply]
LPFerrante 12:24 PM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday:
Not sure if it's the same story but I got a real kick reading about how JFK had someone run out to all the cigar stores around DC and buy up his H Upmanns before he signed the embargo...really a fascinating story.
On that note, as I recall, they discontinued his favorite size of Upmann correct? I want to say it was a petite corona, something like that? Regardless, if the HU #2 and Robusto are smoking anything like the blend he had, then he made the right decision to stock up on them. :-)
The story about JFK having all the Upmann's rounded up is correct. His press secretary Pierre Salinger got the job. The final number was around 1,200. And yes, H. Upmann Petit Upmann, known as Demi Tasse here, was discontinued.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 12:33 PM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by LPFerrante:
The story about JFK having all the Upmann's rounded up is correct. His press secretary Pierre Salinger got the job. The final number was around 1,200. And yes, H. Upmann Petit Upmann, known as Demi Tasse here, was discontinued.
Ahh yeah what a shame! Is it known whether any current HU's have the same blend as the Demi Tasse? I think it would be really cool to get to smoke his favorite blend while drinking a Heineken! (That's what I've read was his preferred beer)
[Reply]
LPFerrante 12:48 PM 11-22-2019
Ahh yeah what a shame! Is it known whether any current HU's have the same blend as the Demi Tasse? I think it would be really cool to get to smoke his favorite blend while drinking a Heineken! (That's what I've read was his preferred beer)
That question is a bit above my paygrade. :-).

But here is a great video from DaveDude, whom I know. It's a great history on JFK's stick, and he smokes one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mJqjAu4aY
[Reply]
icehog3 01:38 PM 11-22-2019
I am going to go with a Petite Corona, about as close as I am going to get to the Petit Upmann.
[Reply]
LPFerrante 01:42 PM 11-22-2019
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am going to go with a Petite Corona, about as close as I am going to get to the Petit Upmann.
Yup, best substitute. The blend won't be the same. But even in ten years or five, blends change for still existent vitola.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 03:17 PM 11-22-2019
Nice! Thanks for the info guys and I'll check that video out LP!
[Reply]
LPFerrante 03:24 PM 11-22-2019
Nice! Thanks for the info guys and I'll check that video out LP!
Please do. It's not a bad way to spend ten minute :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:30 PM 11-22-2019

[Reply]
Weelok 12:28 AM 11-23-2019
Well Icehog, that cigar looked fabulous. I generally don’t get those sizes except from the great brothers here but I can say, all of the gifted / traded Coronas or Shorts I’ve had were awesome cigars.
[Reply]
LPFerrante 09:19 AM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by icehog3:

A great tribute with a great cigar!
[Reply]
Up