Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Box Pricing at B&M's
cbsmokin 01:09 PM 12-29-2008
Buying smokes at the B&M is like buying drinks at a Bar. You don't go to either because they have the best prices.
[Reply]
ucla695 01:16 PM 12-29-2008
My B&Ms will cut me a 10% discount for box purchases. It’s hard to get a bigger discount….especially with hard to find cigars. I’ll buy locally if the prices are close. Otherwise, I’ll pull the trigger online.
[Reply]
livwire68 01:17 PM 12-29-2008
The closest we come here in Vegas is the Indian smoke shop. They are immune to taxes, cheaper yes! As good as online not quite. Online = no taxes and most buy in large quantity therefore cheaper as well.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 01:26 PM 12-29-2008
both shops here have great prices, good service, pretty good selections, and are fun to patronize when possible. When I'm buying NCs, I usually will go to them unless I want something Pepin made, then I have to shop online.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 03:30 PM 12-29-2008
mine gives me 15% off everything (including opus and padron anny). i have a locker there, i've also been known to bring lunch from time to time. i can walk in and get a recomendations on something new since they know what i like. bought a box of opus in the fuente fuente size for $358, i haven't seen that online. all that being said if i see something really good online they'll come down a little or tell me that's a hell of a deal and i should grab it. and in the last two weeks they've given me two anejo 50's and a winston churchill by davidoff (churchill size) as opposed to a free fiver of el pollo loco dog rocket brand.
[Reply]
troutbreath 04:29 PM 12-29-2008
My favorite shop gives me 15% off, because I joined the "club" they have. The cost of the club was so minimal that I made up the difference in savings the first week I had the discount. Besides, I probably use that much of their electicity just shooting the bull with the fellas.

I usually buy from my B&M, because I want to support them. I want to have that place to hang out, to smoke, to enjoy. Can't do that online (no offense to the folks here, of course).
[Reply]
renton20 04:46 PM 12-29-2008
Due to the horrendous taxes we have here in MN B&M prices are pretty ridiculous. I remember about six months ago asking the price on a box of oliva Gs. I was looking at online retailers and found a couple places that had them at about $60 a box shipped. I asked the rep what kind of prices I was looking at because there was a sale going on. It ended up being about double what it was online. Now I am all for supporting local businesses and I like to stop by my B&M around once a week when I can, but there is no way that I can justify paying double the cost for the same product. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:46 PM 12-29-2008
The boxes I buy locally aren't discounted at all. I'm fortunate though that I get them pretty close to MSRP on the hard to finds, when I finds them.
[Reply]
RichardW 11:59 PM 12-29-2008
Originally Posted by shilala:

[snip]

What I can say is that when I'm traveling and I see a B&M I stop and play cigars, then I sit and have a smoke. It's an oasis. A totally cool oasis. :-)
I always buy a handful of sticks because there's always something I haven't tried and there's no B&M anywhere near here. The few bucks I spend is honestly a value.
:-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 03:07 AM 01-03-2009
deffintly not in canada...the prices here are retarted...i do 99 % of my shopping online or in cuba!!
[Reply]
GoatLocker 12:41 PM 01-03-2009
CA has a 45% tax on the wholesale price (the price to the shop), plus 7-3/4% sales tax. Seeing as shops here pay 45% more for the cigars, there is no way they can match online retailers. There are some notable exceptions, like Tatuajes, which are about the same price at my b&m as online. I guess that means either the online vendors are making a killing on cigars like tats, or my local has worked out a very good wholesale price...:-)

That said, my local takes 10% off on full boxes and another 10% for military.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:57 PM 01-03-2009
I know I am spolied living in Kentucky where there is no tobacco tax, but like BengalMan stated in the first response, it just isn't in the profit margin for B+M's to match online vendor prices. Online vendors move large(r) volumes and don't pay state taxes (which you are supposed to pay yourself when you buy). If we all reported out online purchases and in turn paid the taxes we were supposed to the prices would become a wash.

B+M's are an integral part of the cigar world, and I know it isn't fun walking into a store and paying well over double what a stick could be had for online, but keep in mind that you are paying for the atmosphere. Online vendors do not provide you with conversation, a place to sit, or the opportunity to see/smell/touch/smoke the cigar as soon as you buy it. Instant gratification :-)

Originally Posted by karmaz00:
deffintly not in canada...the prices here are retarted...i do 99 % of my shopping online or in cuba!!
Sure you could have used a different adjective, even with the spelling :-)
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 01:05 PM 01-03-2009
I agree with what has been stated here.

1). B&M tend to give you a 10% discount on box purchases.

2). We should support our local B&Ms as they are one of the havens we still have to smoke in public

3). They offer us a great way to try out new sticks without doing the guesswork on a box

4). The Chat on this site is great but face to face conversation with BOTL is tough to beat

The only B&M I have been to where the discount was better than 10 or 15% is Corona Club in Orlando.

I have bought boxes there that reflected a 30% discount more than once.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up