Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 38
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Blak Smyth 05:45 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick:
That's looking pretty good. Let us know how it brews up.:-)
Will do. It looks darker in person than in the pic. I'm really looking forward to it. If it is good you'll be receiving a little sample!!!
[Reply]
CigarSquid 06:11 PM 01-01-2012
First roast ever and in the new roaster.
Package says, Sumatra Mandheling Triple Pick Select.

Also, enjoying a Diesel Shorty for the first time as well. Fat little sucker.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:31 PM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
First roast ever and in the new roaster.
Package says, Sumatra Mandheling Triple Pick Select.

Also, enjoying a Diesel Shorty for the first time as well. Fat little sucker.
What setting did you do and how did it turn out?
[Reply]
CigarSquid 11:33 PM 01-01-2012
I did it for 35, so 30 of roasting. Doesn't seem to look as dark as I like it. I will try it tomorrow morning. See how it taste.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:46 AM 01-02-2012
Can you roast beans that have already been roasted?
[Reply]
Mr B 09:47 AM 01-02-2012
Yesterday was:
El Salvador Montanita Pacamara to City +
Guatamala Bourbon Finca San Diego Buena Vista to Full City
Rwanda Kibuye Gites to Full City +
and Sumatra Tarbarita Peaberry to Full City +
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:16 AM 01-03-2012
I did it for 35, so 30 of roasting. Doesn't seem to look as dark as I like it. I will try it tomorrow morning. See how it taste.
I don't think you can reroast. If it isn't dark enough for you, try less beans on your next roast.
[Reply]
BSB 11:33 AM 01-03-2012
Roasted some Bolivia Beneficio Buenaventura yesterday to city+ - FC
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:07 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I don't think you can reroast. If it isn't dark enough for you, try less beans on your next roast.
I will do some more tonight. Any advice on back to back roasting? Should I give the machine a cool down in between? or 2 roast back to back good enough?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:08 PM 01-03-2012
I will do some more tonight. Any advice on back to back roasting? Should I give the machine a cool down in between? or 2 roast back to back good enough?
I haven't done any back to back without cleaning it first. My machine leaves so much chaff behind I don't wanna use it again without cleaning it first. When I remove my chamber there is much chaff down on the heating element it may very well be a fire hazard to run back to back.
[Reply]
Mr B 04:22 PM 01-03-2012
Hey Garry, use those lighter beans to blend in w/ your darker roasts. I do it all the time. Put 10-20% of the lighter beans in w/ 80-90% darker beans in the grinder. Its a nice way to add back in some of the Fruity, Berry, Citrus, floral notes that get roasted away in the darker roasts.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 06:20 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Hey Garry, use those lighter beans to blend in w/ your darker roasts. I do it all the time. Put 10-20% of the lighter beans in w/ 80-90% darker beans in the grinder. Its a nice way to add back in some of the Fruity, Berry, Citrus, floral notes that get roasted away in the darker roasts.
I have no light left, Used the rest this AM. But, I shall do.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:53 PM 01-03-2012
Roasted the same stuff again tonight. Looks darker this time. Try it tomorrow or so..
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:11 AM 01-04-2012
Well I had a good comment from SteelCityBoy about my last roast, maybe it is starting to come together. I have not been happy with it yet though.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 08:30 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Well I had a good comment from SteelCityBoy about my last roast, maybe it is starting to come together. I have not been happy with it yet though.
I am no coffee expert for sure but I drink plenty of it and I can tell you that your roast sample you gave me was very good! Here is the best description I can offer:

I used a coffee press on the first bit I brewed last evening. It was very dark almost tar-like. Very velvety and smooth texture. Not bitter at all. Had a great smooth flavor profile that just tasted great! I would love to try some of this with an LP9! :-)

I thought it was very well done Shane! Take it for what it is worth though as this is the first time I have ever tried home made coffee roast.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:33 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy:
I am no coffee expert for sure but I drink plenty of it and I can tell you that your roast sample you gave me was very good! Here is the best description I can offer:

I used a coffee press on the first bit I brewed last evening. It was very dark almost tar-like. Very velvety and smooth texture. Not bitter at all. Had a great smooth flavor profile that just tasted great! I would love to try some of this with an LP9! :-)

I thought it was very well done Shane! Take it for what it is worth though as this is the first time I have ever tried home made coffee roast.
:-) Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:47 PM 01-07-2012
Roasted some Nicaragua... stuff. I guess I roasted to a French Roast.. (Dark)

House smells so good.

Sorry for the pics, Taken with phone.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:51 PM 01-07-2012
Garry what settings did you use on that French roast?

Tonight I'm making a couple batches:
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:52 PM 01-07-2012
I think total roast time was 23-25. Filled to right about even with the dark line or slight below.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:56 PM 01-07-2012
I think total roast time was 23-25. Filled to right about even with the dark line or slight below.
Damn you got that dark. Maybe because I bought my roaster used but I fill to the dark line everytime now and set it for 30 and it never gets that dark. Maybe My roaster is tired.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 38
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Up