Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 1
smokin5 11:21 PM 05-02-2009
The full name of this cigar is
Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 1 Exclusivo Lado Occidental

6-1/4" x 52 ring Toro, Nicaraguan Puro.
I don't think these are available in retail anymore, but I'm sure someone will chime in if they are.

A handsome stick, it's well-packed with just a bit of give, except for 2 small softer spots in the middle section. The wrapper is medium to dark brown with a leathery, slightly sandpapery feel, giving a dull sheen in the sunlight.
Prelight draw is fairly loose, a litttle too loose for my liking.
I decided to pair this with a gin & tonic, knowing full well it's Kentucky Derby Day, & I should pour a bourbon on the rocks.
OK, lets get down to business & set this bad boy on fire.......

On lighting, there's an initial blast of pepper, along with a pleasant earthy & molasses taste. There's a buttery, almost chewy feel to the smoke.
1/2" in, the pepper subsides, though still present, allowing more espresso, wood & molasses to emerge. The aftertaste is a mix of earth & butter. Strength-wise, it's in the fuller range of medium. It reminds me of a Punch Gran Puro, only stronger fuller, & richer.

The burn gives problems at times, very uneven. At first I let it go, but after a while I apply numerous corrections over the course of the cigar.

As the cigar progresses, the pepper fades into the background, leaving an excellent balance of flavors in an almost-full strength package. Earthy coffee and sweetness with a slightly spicy finish. It continues to smooth out as it goes, becoming almost caramel-like with sweet-hot pepper & a yeasty feel. Like a stronger Fuente Anejo at times.
An hour & 1/2 later, & I still have 1/3 of this stogie to go. Hot dog!
The pepper comes & goes now, playing peek-a-boo with me every other puff.
Even so, it remains very nicely balanced & never too sharp, more ginger than charcoal.
The last inch is more like a smoother La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero. A very tasty mix of earthy espresso, wood & molasses with pepper bite.
Two and 1/2 hours from when I began, I let it drop.

The only downside was the continual off-burn which required frequent fixing.
Overall, a most enjoyable cigar experience that I highly recommend to anyone who likes a slightly stronger smoke.
[Reply]
groogs 11:39 PM 05-02-2009
Nice review. These are no longer in production as far as I know, but there are still a few cabs floating around B&Ms, so they can still be found.
[Reply]
white_s2k 11:39 PM 05-02-2009
Thanks for the review!

I have a 5'er of these and have been wanting to light one up.. I think I will this week.
[Reply]
scooter 10:03 AM 05-03-2009
Very nice review, thanks.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:28 AM 05-03-2009
Great review. Thanks!
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 12:36 AM 11-13-2010
Just had one of these tonight. Very good and your review was spot on, including the burn issues. Like you I corrected the burn frequently and it didn't really bother me. Great cigar, just wish I had more.
[Reply]
boom 08:07 AM 11-13-2010
Nice review.... This is by far one of the best Tat's esp... the Verocu series...
[Reply]
hscmit 08:09 AM 11-13-2010
sad times I only have one of these left
[Reply]
STEVE S 08:21 AM 11-13-2010
Great review, thank you for sharing!!
[Reply]
Up