Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>High caliber hit from 357
markem 11:46 AM 02-02-2022
So I found out about a fave childhood food that was available in Michigan and reported to be the very best (according to my Mom, who makes the very best pasties).

So Mike reached out to his Mom and had a half dozen shipped to me. I've asked how to pay for them, but he has gone silent on me.

Mike's Mom may be in for an interesting Portland bomb.

Thank you, Mike!

Attached: pasty.jpg (26.3 KB) 
[Reply]
bruceolee 11:55 AM 02-02-2022
With all the thoughtful bombs you put out mark this is only fair. Enjoys those sir! God bless you!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:31 PM 02-02-2022
Oh joy in my heart!

Wonderful.
[Reply]
longknocker 02:04 PM 02-02-2022
Awesome!:-):-). Great Hit, Mike! Enjoy, Mark!:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:00 PM 02-02-2022
Love me a good pastie.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:55 PM 02-02-2022
Nice hit? Haha awesome!
[Reply]
Black Coral 08:34 PM 02-02-2022
Well done Mike
[Reply]
G G 06:05 AM 02-03-2022
I must confess, I have no clue nor have ever heard of a Beef Pastie. :-)
[Reply]
Conch Republican 06:14 AM 02-03-2022
It's a Michigan thing - and in the UP (Yoopers)
Great Job Mike!
[Reply]
Old Sailor 08:02 AM 02-03-2022
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
The camaro show 08:10 AM 02-03-2022
Originally Posted by G G:
I must confess, I have no clue nor have ever heard of a Beef Pastie. :-)
Same here
[Reply]
357 08:39 AM 02-03-2022
I've learned that pasties are a dish popular with several different ethnic and cultural groups. Growing up in Michigan, my best friend's mom used to make them. I couldn't go to his house without her trying to feed me. I always loved when she made pasties. They were a Polish family so I always associated them with Polish cuisine. However, they are most popular in Michigan's UP which is primarily populated with people of Scandinavian ancestry. Why, I don't know. Growing up in Montana, Mark told me he associated them with Irish cuisine. I guess it doesn't matter where they originated from, they are very tasty when done right. Peter's does them well. I hope they hit the spot for you Mark.

If you need more of them I promise to let you offset the cost next time.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:04 AM 02-03-2022
Nice job, Mike, hitting one of the Best. :-)

Do they have Chevy Tahoes in Michigan? Asking for myself. :-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 12:56 PM 02-03-2022
What a great hit!

I've never heard of a pastie either, so I just Googled images of it and it looks exactly like the Italian Fraroons (sp?) that my wife's family has been making for generations around Easter time. Even the recipe for the dough is the same. I'm told it is not a widespread Italian food, but something local to a village near Naples where my wife's grandparents emigrated from. They are made in 3 varieties:
1. Spicy Italian ground sausage (my favorite!)
2. Italian greens, garlic and raisins
3. Thinly sliced potato, onion and little bit of egg

It's neat how many different cultures assimilate the same food item and give it their own, unique spin to make it their own. Now I gotta talk the wife into make some a bit earlier than Easter, like maybe for Valentine's Day . . . I'm hungry!
[Reply]
Up