Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva G robusto
Don Fernando 08:33 AM 09-22-2010
I had this 4½x50 Oliva G robusto in my humidor for years and always ignored it. Whenever I smoke an Oliva I usually go for the El Cobre or the V series. Today I decided to do something else and go for the G series.

This cigar is probably the most squared cigar I have ever seen, I can't even call this box pressed, it looks like it has been factory pressed, that's how squared it is. The wrapper is oily, got one vein running over it and has some color differences. The construction feels good and I smell a deep and strong hay aroma. The predraw is a bit loose and I taste a strong tobacco flavor.

I taste a strong coffee flavor that soon changes to a full earth flavor. After an inch I also taste some sweetness but it disappears soon and takes the coffee with it.

Halfway the cigar gets nice and spicy with some sweetness on the background. I also taste a nice herbal flavor.

This short stick lasted me for 45 enjoyable minutes. The cigar produces a lot of smoke, which has a peppery smell to it and looks a bit dull and pale. The draw and burn are great. The firm ash is light colored. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I wonder why I hardly ever smoke these and usually go for the V series, these are just as tasty

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
G G 08:36 AM 09-22-2010
Nice review and I have enjoyed a few Gs as well.:-)
[Reply]
Volt 08:40 AM 09-22-2010
Love the G's. They are a bit less nic than the O's and V's.
[Reply]
Dave128 08:42 AM 09-22-2010
Great review. Gs are one of my favorite cigars.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:42 AM 09-22-2010
The G Maduro was one of my first box purchases back in the day. I still have some with 4 years on them I believe. Thanks for the review bro:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:43 AM 09-22-2010
These are nice...but I love the kick from the Vs. Nice review Ferdie!!
[Reply]
boom 09:27 AM 09-22-2010
I love the G's... great review... Thanks!!!
[Reply]
RustyShackleford 10:43 PM 09-22-2010
Another great review! I like the regular g quite a bit but not as much as the g maduro though...
[Reply]
dccraft 06:26 PM 09-23-2010
Good review. These I really like in the winter!
[Reply]
Nickerson 05:54 PM 09-25-2010
I love these things. As I pointed out elsewhere before, the ring gauge seems to be post-box press, so its true ring gauge is maybe 15-20% less than it actually lists. I do notice these to smoke a bit faster than robusto's and it isn't that it is 1/2" shorter.

I do find the box press really helps the cigar loosen up when you smoke, and makes the draw extremely easy. The most efficient shape is a circle. As a square cigar turns round it will naturally free up room and become much easier to draw.

Thanks for the review.

P.S.
To those interested, you can pick a 5er of these up on cigarmonster for $12.50 a 5 pack. That's $2.50 a cigar!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:31 PM 09-25-2010
Cigars that are ment to be box pressed are rolled way looser, otherwise they can never be box pressed. Something I learned yesterday from talking with Dave Wagner from Oliva.
[Reply]
Nickerson 08:54 PM 09-25-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Cigars that are ment to be box pressed are rolled way looser, otherwise they can never be box pressed. Something I learned yesterday from talking with Dave Wagner from Oliva.
Yup. Trying to box press a firm round cigar will essentially cause the cigar to burst or split.

Also another cool piece of information, is Maduro wrappers shrink post wrapping. Some cigar manufacturers list the ring gauge size pre-shrink, others list it post shrink. I think typically it loses just 1-2 ring guage, which is why you may see a lot of Maduro Robusto's listed as 5"x52.
[Reply]
SmoknTaz 10:29 PM 09-25-2010
Nice review, it's been a while since I've had one. Must revisit one soon.
[Reply]
Up