OHRD 08:00 AM 07-16-2010

Size: 4×48, Dantes (Robusto)

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan & Honduran

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 20, $172

Grade: 8.9

The Cruzado was born when Don Giolito of Illusione fame wanted to create a milder version of his Nicaraguan treats, which was attained by removing the trademark Ligero featured in Illusione cigars. Still medium bodied and full flavored, the Cruzado features Nicaraguan and Honduran tobacco. Originally the cigar was going to be produced by the maker of Joya de Nicaragua, in the Tabacos Puros de Nicaragua S.A. factory in Esteli, but complications arose due to a surge in production; instead, production was moved to Raices Cubanas, the Honduran factory where the Illusione cigar line is produced.

Sold in boxes of 20, there are currently six sizes available, each with a pigtailed cap: Dantes (4×48), Avalitos (4×46), Marios (7×47), Marelas (5 5/8×46 perfecto), Elitas (6×44), and Domenicos (5 5/8×56).

You can check Illusione out online or follow Dion on Twitter.

Now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The first thing that jumps out on this smoke is the pigtailed triple cap. The cigar is well packed with no soft spots and the medium brown wrapper is rustic at best, with a few bumps and veins spread throughout. The band on this smoke is simple, yet striking, and is exactly what I would expect from the creator of the Illusione brand. The pre-light aroma is of earthy tobacco along the wrapper with a hint of sweet spice at the foot. The cold draw presents more spice than sweet, with the solid tobacco flavors rounding out the finish.

Burn, 1.7:
The draw on the Dantes is solid and produces an adequate amount of smoke with a minimal amount of effort. The ash holds well and is mixed in color, from a dingy white to solid black. Smoke temperature is solid for a thin ring gauge and no touch ups or re-lights are required.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on the Cruzado gives off a blast of spice, but it is balanced well with the tobacco flavors after the initial burst. Into the first third, the dominant notes continue to be spice with earthy tobacco, but there is a hint of nuts and sweetness. The second third follows the above profile but the spice is subdued a bit; on my palate a solid profile of earthy tobacco arrives and the continued sweetness lingers on the finish. The final third doesn’t transition; it is still full of flavor and I take it to the nub.

Overall, 2.7:
The Cruzado was a nice smoke; I enjoyed the more traditional ring gauge and the smoking experience that it provided. Priced at $7-8 a stick, this is a tough call for me to make – it is worth the cash for sure, but for me personally, it is not a go to smoke with that price tag. Pick up a few in any ring gauge and see for yourself; if you like the Illusione line, you will enjoy this smoke as well.

(Total: 8.9)
[Reply]
rizzle 09:04 AM 07-16-2010
I've enjoyed the Cruzados I've smoked. However, if you say this..
Originally Posted by :
Smoke temperature is solid for a thin ring gauge
..what ring guage do you consider to be large? 48 ain't real thin to me.
:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:17 AM 07-16-2010
Just ordered a line sampler.
Can't wait to try one.

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
OHRD 09:28 AM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I've enjoyed the Cruzados I've smoked. However, if you say this....what ring guage do you consider to be large? 48 ain't real thin to me.
I roll with the 60-64s! Nah, your right - good catch, I'm so used to 50s and 52s that anything smaller seems thin.
[Reply]
mcmoyer 09:51 AM 07-16-2010
Thanks for the review! I love the Cruzado, especially the Marelas.

[Reply]
kelmac07 11:24 AM 07-16-2010
Another fine review Matthew!! :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:52 AM 07-16-2010
Nice review!
I have smoked every Cruzado until I couldn't hold it any more. Not a "go to" smoke but instead a "special" smoke for me. I will always have a box in the cooler.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:48 PM 07-16-2010
These were really good when they were originally released. Now they seem kind of "meh".
[Reply]
rizzle 12:49 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
I roll with the 60-64s! Nah, your right - good catch, I'm so used to 50s and 52s that anything smaller seems thin.
No problem bro, I figured as much. Interesting how big is "big" to some and how small is "small" to others, huh. Was a good review.

[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:06 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
These were really good when they were originally released. Now they seem kind of "meh".
Did Dion change the blend? My box is from the original release. I would get another box when it runs low but now I guess I will get a single first, just to make sure.
[Reply]
Darrell 01:08 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
Did Dion change the blend? My box is from the original release. I would get another box when it runs low but now I guess I will get a single first, just to make sure.
I believe it is different from the original.
[Reply]
rizzle 01:43 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I believe it is different from the original.
Why do these freaking makers do this? I guess it really can't be helped, huh? I mean, you can only use the tobacco from a pile once I guess, right?

Or do we just always remember the first as being the best?

Enquiring minds want to know. :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 01:56 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Or do we just always remember the first as being the best?
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Ratters 05:44 PM 07-16-2010
Originally Posted by mcmoyer:
Thanks for the review! I love the Cruzado, especially the Marelas.

[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:11 AM 07-17-2010
Great review! I need to buy a few more of these as I did enjoy the one I had.:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 07:44 AM 09-29-2010
So does anyone have any info if the blend changed, and if it did what are your views on it?
[Reply]
Up