Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Preview review: NHC Seleccion Limitada
danreeve 08:05 AM 04-24-2010

Last night I hung out over at New Havana Cigars HQ with Dan (@NHCDAN on twitter) and he hooked me up with a preview of his NHC Seleccion Limitada stick. He asked me not to do a detailed review until I get one of the full production sticks that are due in next week, but said I could post some first thoughts.

First thoughts...
Love the size.
Burns like a champ; tightly packed and holds a firm ash.
Starts out with some Nicaraguan zing and bold thick smoke.
Smoke mellows out and has a really strong, nice, clean sweetness.

If you like Tatuaje, you're going to love this. I'll leave the rest of the details and flavors until my full review.

Please visit http://crookedburn.blogspot.com/ for more pictures

Dan
[Reply]
issues 09:04 AM 04-24-2010
I am jumping on these as soon as they're available!
[Reply]
tomc3084 09:07 AM 04-24-2010
wow......thanks......if they come in smaller boxes than 40 I may need to pick them up....if not I am sure there will be many box-split opportunities available on CA.
[Reply]
danreeve 09:51 AM 04-24-2010
thanks for reading. Get on them quick. Trust me, they will be gone fast I think.

(He will have smaller packs for sale also just FYI)
[Reply]
danreeve 11:32 AM 04-27-2010
These are now up for sale on new havana cigars website. If you like Tatuaje browns you should get some IMO.

I'm hoping to have a review of each of them up by friday.

Dan
[Reply]
issues 01:56 PM 04-27-2010
Order placed!!! :-)

So Dan, do you know the secret of this blend?
[Reply]
alwayslit 02:00 PM 04-27-2010
I'm poorer but psyched!!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:02 PM 04-27-2010
Whats the deal with NHC?
[Reply]
danreeve 02:45 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Order placed!!! :-)

So Dan, do you know the secret of this blend?
heh... maybe....

Actually, I'm pretty sure only Pete and the rollers at this time know the exact blend.

I know what it tastes a lot like though :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 02:58 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Whats the deal with NHC?
Nice guy. Nice little non-normal shop, you would never think of a Cigar Retailer to be in an industrial park, but I think most of his business is online.

He is super super nice and very informative. Took the time to chat it up with me and my son one day we were in the area and stopped by.

I think he emulates the Pete Johnson model of business a little too much, hence this deal with the NHC house brands that are limited and soon to be gone, and in my opinion, just a tad overpriced.

He gifted me a house brand a year ago, and like I said he could not have been a nicer dude, I just can't get into the hype of these limited releases, no matter who puts em out.

If you got the money, buy em I am sure they are very tasty. I don't have the extra money, and I am so fricken weak willed that I automatically want stuff like this when I see they are 'limited'. I suppose that is why Pete and Dan are so successful huh?

:-)
[Reply]
klipsch 05:48 PM 04-27-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
I'm poorer but psyched!!
I hear ya here brother. First time in over a year and a half that I can't even bring myself to look at the WST/BST forums... Image
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:37 PM 04-27-2010
These are on sale on NHC website guys...
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:50 PM 04-27-2010
I'm confused. The bands on the second ones look like Tatuaje reserva bands. Are these a Tat blend for a B&M? or Whats the deal?
[Reply]
Eleven 08:03 PM 04-27-2010
We are proud to feature this project for fans of NHC and Tatuaje. Produced by Pete Johnson and rolled at the My Father Cigars factory in Esteli, Nicaragua, The NHC Seleccion Limitada is based on an original Tatuaje blend and available in both Natural and Reserva (Broadleaf) wrappers.

The project came about as there were many boxes lingering at the factory, which were originally made for the tubos series in 2009. As luck has it, exactly 20 cigars at 6 3/4 x 42 fit in each side of the box with the tubos inserts removed. A short phone call and a few samples later and we were on board for this project. (OK - we were on board even before the samples even arrived, but after smoking them ... the excitement hit the roof)

Deciding on two wrappers, the boxes contain 40 cigars, 20 Natural and 20 Reservas. The Reservas are made with a Broadleaf wrapper and the Natural with Habano. Both are the same blend, based on an original Tatuaje blend. About 500 boxes will be produced.

The first wave has arrived.
[Reply]
danreeve 10:16 PM 04-27-2010
I've now smoked them both and liked them
[Reply]
Patrick B 11:09 PM 04-27-2010
We have some coming soon to split up with elderboy and a few locals. Dan at NHC is the epitome of what a retailer should be in my book - knowledgeable, friendly, and just a true BOTL. Had a great evening with him and Pete a while back and would drive the 2 hours to hang out again in a heartbeat!
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:11 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by Patrick B:
We have some coming soon to split up with elderboy and a few locals. Dan at NHC is the epitome of what a retailer should be in my book - knowledgeable, friendly, and just a true BOTL. Had a great evening with him and Pete a while back and would drive the 2 hours to hang out again in a heartbeat!
I think I will keep them all and not split them with you :-)
[Reply]
danreeve 09:34 AM 04-28-2010

the box even has the same little wax (rubber) tat seal on them from the drac boxes. Nice touch.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:26 PM 04-28-2010
I knew I shouldn't have logged back on to CA tonight! Your review hooked me, Dan. The box is ordered. A box of 40 gives my some ammunition for bombs I've been wanting to send out. Thank you so much for the heads up and your great review. I have your blog bookmarked now.

MCS
[Reply]
688sonarmen 07:23 PM 09-26-2010
Even with 500 boxes these are still out there. Highly recommend giving them a try:-)
[Reply]
Up