Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 15
< 123 4513 > Last »
General Discussion>any cyclists/roadies?
bigdix 03:48 AM 10-03-2010
I'm bumping this one! Piqued my interest a bit. I just bought a Specialized Tarmac and am just getting into road riding (been doing single track for years on a mountain bike) and possibly Triathlons. What's everyone been up to lately??
[Reply]
E.J. 08:00 AM 10-03-2010
How'd I miss this thread.... I ride my road bike(Trek Madone 5.2) more than my mountain bike(Santa Cruz BLT).... I am not sure I am a roadie.... It is just easy to bike commute to work and go for rides from my garage...even when I live in a VERY mountain bike friendly place....

Few pics of the bikes....

Riding the Tour de Park City

EPIC Mountain Bike trip last Spring FWIW....

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=White
[Reply]
bigdix 08:37 PM 10-03-2010
Nice rides, dude!! Put my first 20 miles on the road bike today...I love it! :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 05:24 AM 10-04-2010
Went for a short 12 mile ride yesterday. Had to use my moutain bike because I had a rear flat on the road bike. Stopped by Dicks Sporting and had them change the bad tube on the road bike. Great timing because they had a nice set of Michelins on the clearance rack for my road bike so I grabbed them. :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 09:53 AM 10-04-2010
Trek Madone...I'm jealous...sweet ride. :-)

I know I had gotten some comments about using baskets last year, so this spring I went and got some clips after finding a pair of Sidis on EBay (woohoo...something that fit me!!!). Also added some aerobars. Here's me riding with the upgrades in the Chisago Lakes Tri:

I ended up only doing 3 tris this year...2 sprints and one Olympic. No half iron this year, but I WILL next year...already planning my training for it. :-) I'm most happy about my improvement in the last race I did this year...the Chisago Lakes Tri. Bettered my time by almost 20 min, and finished 22nd out of 53 in my age group. :-) Next year, finishing will be the goal (half iron distance).

Maybe I'll upgrade my bike in a couple years. LOL
[Reply]
bigdix 06:57 AM 10-14-2010
Pretty impressive, Wanger. I'm doing my first Tri this year, in early november. 1K swim, 30K bike, 5K run....we'll see how it goes. I can handle the bike and run no problem...it's that damn swim!!
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:00 AM 10-14-2010
I have a 2003 Specialized S-works that hangs in my garage, I usually ride my mt bike.
[Reply]
bigdix 07:01 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
I have a 2003 Specialized S-works that hangs in my garage, I usually ride my mt bike.
You oughtta knock the dust off of that thing! :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 07:19 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by bigdix:
Pretty impressive, Wanger. I'm doing my first Tri this year, in early november. 1K swim, 30K bike, 5K run....we'll see how it goes. I can handle the bike and run no problem...it's that damn swim!!
A couple pointers on the swim that were given to me and what I've learned...
1. Trust your training! If you train properly for it, you will be ready for it.

2. They are usually overly cautions with safety, becuase it is VERY bad for an event is someone gets seriously injured or dies on their watch. There should be plenty of lifeguards in the water if you need help, or a place to stop and reset if you go out too hard.

3. Stay within yourself. Don't try to keep up or worry about what everyone else is doing. Focus on yourself and your own stroke. You WILL get bumped some in the water. Expect it and don't allow it to phase you.

4. Most importantly....HAVE FUN!!! My first race was an absolute blast, and is what got me hooked. The feeling of accomplishment and adrenaline rush you get when you cross that first finish line is AMAZING! Your first will not liekly be your last. :-) I'm already started to get going on training for a half ironman next July. I WILL do it. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!!!! And let us know how it goes. :-) :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:39 AM 10-14-2010
I ride about 50-125 miles a week. Would like to do more, but after 25 miles, I get bored if riding by myself. Most people I pass along my rides do not want to tag along or put an effort to pass me.
[Reply]
Superbad 07:50 AM 10-14-2010
I have been off the bike for a year, i gave myself a couple broken ribs at Snowmass last year. I am finally ready to start again, but way out of shape. I used to do Olympic tris, slowly.
[Reply]
E.J. 07:57 AM 10-14-2010
I planned on trying an Olympic this year(finished 2 sprints)....but it just didn't pan out. I have been fairly lazy since the Tour de Park City.....

Also disappointed that our planned return trip to the White Rim Trail in May has been cancelled due to the Schaffer Trail being washed out....
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:03 AM 10-14-2010
Originally Posted by bigdix:
You oughtta knock the dust off of that thing! :-)
Yes it is a sweet ride. When it was new I had to get the headset adjusted (CF threadless) and the bike shop treated me like I was a VIP not because of my riding but because of my ride. It's a feather.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:16 AM 10-14-2010
Would like to upgrade to the Record 11 speed. I love the design of the new Ergo levers.

I want make my next bike with as much Swiss made components as all those companies are around our office in Biel.
[Reply]
bigdix 05:55 AM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
A couple pointers on the swim that were given to me and what I've learned...
1. Trust your training! If you train properly for it, you will be ready for it.

2. They are usually overly cautions with safety, becuase it is VERY bad for an event is someone gets seriously injured or dies on their watch. There should be plenty of lifeguards in the water if you need help, or a place to stop and reset if you go out too hard.

3. Stay within yourself. Don't try to keep up or worry about what everyone else is doing. Focus on yourself and your own stroke. You WILL get bumped some in the water. Expect it and don't allow it to phase you.

4. Most importantly....HAVE FUN!!! My first race was an absolute blast, and is what got me hooked. The feeling of accomplishment and adrenaline rush you get when you cross that first finish line is AMAZING! Your first will not liekly be your last. :-) I'm already started to get going on training for a half ironman next July. I WILL do it. :-)

GOOD LUCK!!!!! And let us know how it goes. :-) :-)
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I should be fine...can't wait for the race! I'll definitely keep everyone posted!! :-)
[Reply]
bigdix 05:56 AM 10-19-2010
45 mile hilly ride up the west coast of Okinawa this weekend...challenging but gorgeous!! :-)
[Reply]
Whynot 10:17 AM 10-19-2010
chainlove.com
bonktown.com

Sometimes they have tri gear if folks are still looking. Always have parts and everyday gear.
[Reply]
Wanger 02:50 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Whynot:
chainlove.com
bonktown.com

Sometimes they have tri gear if folks are still looking. Always have parts and everyday gear.
Check them out fairly regularly. :-)
[Reply]
bigdix 02:57 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Whynot:
chainlove.com
bonktown.com

Didn't know about bonktown...thanks! :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 08:12 AM 04-10-2012
First bike commute of the year! Always good to get on the bike again.... Surprisingly warm in this area, 50F-ish this morning.

Only ride on the table at present is the MS150. Need to get some little Sprint triathlons on the calendar as well.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 15
< 123 4513 > Last »
Up