Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Question on older cigars
jerseystepup 01:33 PM 04-27-2020
Curious about everyone’s opinion. Since getting back into smoking I managed to dig out 5 old cigars that I hung onto and wondering what all your thoughts are on if they’re still any good. Mind for the last 10+ years theyve been stored at room temp and god knows what humidity. BUT they’re all in great shape.. no splitting or mold or anything.

And no, I won’t send them to you to test out :-)

All opus I bough in July 2008
Opus Fuente fuente
Opus reserve de chateau
Opus perfexcion #5
Anejo 49
Tatuaje verocu #9 (I think also 2008)
Tatuaje monster Jv13

I know the obvious answer is smoke em and find out myself, but are they on the downgrade now? Or should I still hang on to them for special moments??
[Reply]
T.G 01:42 PM 04-27-2020
All of the Fuentes you listed tend to hold up very well over time.

If it were me, I would put everything back into a humidor for a month or two and let them stabilize, then give them a try.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 01:46 PM 04-27-2020
Awesome. Thanks for the reply TG. I also managed to recover a few Cc’s. A siglo VI, a series d no. 4. And a RA SS. These however didn’t hold up as well. Splits galore.
[Reply]
Snook 04:00 PM 04-27-2020
Yes, definitely let them stabilize for at least a couple months.
In my opinion, most NC sticks tend to pass their prime a lot sooner than CC because they’ve already been aged in the factory. However, that doesn’t mean they will be bad. But some of the nuances and perhaps strength that the blender intended may be lost.
[Reply]
jerseystepup 04:13 PM 04-27-2020
I’ve read a lot about how older NC’s, specifically opus, smoke really good after the 10 year mark.... but loose the complexity. I’m ok with that. Hey, if it burns and it draws why not enjoy it right?!
[Reply]
Old Sailor 11:07 PM 04-27-2020
Spark'em up and enjoy!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:07 AM 04-28-2020
If you re-hydrate, do it in a sealed container... rubbermaid, tupperware... and raise the humidity GRADUALLY to avoid splitting.

I have on a couple occasions found some old cigars that had dried out (lost in various container) and learned my lesson the hard way.

Some come back and are astounding. Some come back like so much Doberman deposit in the back yard.
[Reply]
Up