Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Tat Black - I don't get it.
Sauer Grapes 07:38 AM 05-11-2009
Don't get me wrong, they aren't horrible cigars and to be fair I've only smoked 2 or 3.

The first tasted of ammonia and some other chemical. OK, it was young.

So, I waited several months and last night had another.

The ammonia was gone, thank goodness. Still, almost the entire first half was bitter and just not good. Whatever they use in the fermentation process on these, I just don't like. In fact, I almost put it down early. I'm glad I didn't because it got better for sure, but never great. I guess I just don't really like these cigars. In fact, they have to be my least favorite Tat.

I won't rule out waiting a bit longer and trying one more, but the remaining ones very well may end up as trade bait.

Oh, and I'll NEVER get how some can say these taste like a CC. Those that know me here, know that I'm an equal opportunity smoker when it comes to NC and CC, but IMO, Tat blacks don't have a hint of CC taste in them.
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:40 AM 05-11-2009
I've yet to try the one I have sitting in my humi..I don't expect it to taste like any CC but I will give it a shot someday. :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:42 AM 05-11-2009
I would like to get one to try for myself, but I dont want to give up my 1st born to do so!
[Reply]
e-man67 07:44 AM 05-11-2009
I have one that has at least year on it...I gots to spark it up! I have yet to have a non cuban that tastes like a cuban...prelite smell maybe.
[Reply]
Made in Dade 07:45 AM 05-11-2009
Sorry to hear you have bad luck with these.
Had one last week and it was real good.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 07:52 AM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
I've yet to try the one I have sitting in my humi..I don't expect it to taste like any CC but I will give it a shot someday. :-)
I still enjoy lots of cigars that have no hint of that "cuban twang." I just haven't really enjoyed a Tat Black.

I guess I was just putting the CC thing in because I've seen several posts of people thinking that the Tat Black is the most CC tasting NC they've had. I just don't see it.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 08:33 AM 05-11-2009
I really really enjoy Tat Blacks.. if you have any left I think we could work a trade :-)...

I wouldn't say they taste like CCs they are a bit stronger than those. But they are lip smacking good.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:36 AM 05-11-2009
I don't get them either. I would much rather have a J21, Noella or Especiales. Don't get me wrong, I think the Blacks are really good but the others I listed suits me better.
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:42 AM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I don't get them either. I would much rather have a J21, Noella or Especiales. Don't get me wrong, I think the Blacks are really good but the others I listed suits me better.
I think Chutney Lovebusciut hit it right on the head...it doesn't suit all people. :-)
[Reply]
Sawyer 08:49 AM 05-11-2009
I don't get them either. They are just not a good cigar. I got rid of all the ones I had.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:53 AM 05-11-2009
I've smoked about 5 or so Tat Blacks and while I do like them, I can think of a lot more cigar's, even Tat's that I think are better. But the jar is cool and I'm a sucker for PJ's marketing.

In general, I find them a bit flat.
[Reply]
acarr 08:58 AM 05-11-2009
You are just Sauer Grapes over this whole thing. Actually, I do not see the panacea either. They are average at best and way overhyped.
[Reply]
68TriShield 09:03 AM 05-11-2009
The couple I smoked were good.
Not *all that* but good cigars.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:06 AM 05-11-2009
I like 'em and let me know if you wanna dispose of your remaining stock!
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:32 AM 05-11-2009
Did you smoke the robusto from the 3 pak or the original corona gorda? The last one I smoked was one of the robustos and I just didn't think it was as good as the corona gorda, but I need to smoke both of these again and see if there's a difference. The more CCs I smoke, the less I think that there are any NCs that taste like them. There are some good NCs with excellent flavor that I enjoy a lot, but they don't tatse like CCs. :-)
[Reply]
gnukfu 09:43 AM 05-11-2009
I have smoked around a dozen of these, all the Corona Gorda. They are tasty cigars. Not the greatest stick on the planet and definitely didn't remind of me cuban cigars.
[Reply]
shilala 09:44 AM 05-11-2009
I find them quite poopy. There are lots of guys here that just love them, and that's cool, too. Pete's story on his website that outlines how he came upon the blend is cool. There's a lot of love in that cigar, even if it's not at all to my taste.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:05 AM 05-11-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
I find them quite poopy. There are lots of guys here that just love them, and that's cool, too. Pete's story on his website that outlines how he came upon the blend is cool. There's a lot of love in that cigar, even if it's not at all to my taste.
That pretty much sums up my feelings about them. I have only smoked the Cornoa Gordas, but I do have some Robustos to smoke sometime.

FWIW, hand me a Cabaiguan Guopos anytime over a black. Heck, the havana line of Tats is far better IMO.

Oh, and I don't judge a NC cigar by how cuban it tastes. Far from it. I had just noted a lot of people saying they blacks taste cuban and for the life of me think it is one of the farthest from cuban tastes I've experienced.

It's pretty well known I'm still securely on the NC bandwagon (although I do enjoy the dark side as well). :-)
[Reply]
357 10:05 AM 05-11-2009
Interesting...

Got one in the humi, never tried one yet. I love the aroma of the only one anyone smoked in my presence, but I've said that before and not liked the cigar when I smoked it myself.
[Reply]
HK3- 10:12 AM 05-11-2009
Have been gifted a few of these and smoked everyone one as I received them.. I really enjoyed them all. If they weren't so damned expensive, I would probably buy a box. errrrrr jar I mean.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up