Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Willycigars
csbrewfisher 10:22 AM 05-15-2009
A friend of mine recently returned from Arizona with a couple of gift cigars from Willycigars, apparently a private roller. Has anybody had experience with these? There was a maduro torp and a barberpole.
[Reply]
JJG 10:47 AM 05-15-2009
never heard of him but they look pretty good.

http://willycigars.com/

I always enjoy learning about small independent cigar makers. There are some real hidden gems to be found.

wow, I may have to try these out. This guy seems to be the real deal.
[Reply]
MithShrike 12:01 PM 05-15-2009
I know Willy. He's shady as hell and his tobacco is low quality. He doesn't actually do any of the bunching but just applies wrappers. He buys cheap bunches. The local Tinderbox no longer sells his cigars or allows him to do rolling events because the cigars get 'sick' within a week in the humidor and he sells his cigars cheaper at his house and lets everyone know it.
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:11 PM 05-15-2009
A quote from his site...

[Tobacco leaves are imported from the Dominican Republic
then blended with Cuban tobacco seeds.]

This sounds wrong to me.
[Reply]
JE3146 12:19 PM 05-15-2009
That and I kinda lost interest when he said hed add vanilla at no extra charge :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
JJG 12:58 PM 05-15-2009
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
I know Willy. He's shady as hell and his tobacco is low quality.
Yikes! good to know.

Now I'm wondering if his Biography is 100% legit too. It's sad to hear someone with that much experience rolling in Cuba would be selling horse turds. unless he's embellishing on his resume a little. Is there actually factory named the "Romeo Y Julieta factory"?

One of my favorite independents sells flavored and "it's a boy" custom banded cigars along with their outstanding regular smokes. so that part didn't really set off any alarm bells for me.
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:49 PM 05-15-2009
The filler has the most veins, which in turn brings a more pleasant taste to the cigar.

Never heard this one before either....:-)
[Reply]
JJG 11:21 AM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by gnukfu:
The filler has the most veins, which in turn brings a more pleasant taste to the cigar.

Never heard this one before either....
yes all the flavor is in the veins. duh, I thought everyone knew this.

:-)
[Reply]
Garbandz 03:48 PM 05-16-2009
This is not a cigar for smoking.This is a cigar for laying down and avoiding..:-):-):-)
[Reply]
the nub 05:01 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
The local Tinderbox no longer sells his cigars or allows him to do rolling events because the cigars get 'sick' within a week in the humidor
It's normal for a freshly rolled cigar to become sick after a short period of time. A moist wrapper applied to a moist bundle initiates a process similar to fermentation with ammonia as a byproduct.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 05:12 PM 05-16-2009
This has been a most informative thread, LOL. Glad I didn't pay for them. I think I'll let these sit for about a year.
[Reply]
Up