Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Torpedo draw issues
BigCat 07:36 PM 05-12-2009
So I was smoking a CI legends red label this evening while finishing up a little work. As an aside, I found it to be a really nice smoke. It was my first in the legends series and it was a really consistent, creamy smoke. The type of cigar you can enjoy when you can't focus completely on the cigar. I recommend it.

Back to the point of this post though. It started off with a really nice draw - lots of thick smoke. Then about 1/3 into it, the draw started to tighten up. As I massaged the cigar to get it to open back up again, which it did, it occurred to me that this happens regularly when I smoke torpedos, which isn't all that often. I find that I have to massage the end to get it to open up after a little while. I had to do this several times as I took it down to the nub. Anyone else experience this? Any idea why? My sticks are stored at 65% and this one had been sitting for a couple of months. I only notice it with torpedos. I assume it has something to do with the heat causing the stick to expand a little, which affects a tapered end more than a regular end, but that could be completely off base. I'm curious more than anything.
[Reply]
AD720 07:37 PM 05-12-2009
I sometimes cut torpedos a again when I am further into the cigar.
[Reply]
eber 08:28 PM 05-12-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
:-)
sometimes I will have to do the same thing, sometimes saliva will clog it up or the funneling of the smoke could cause some tars to build at the tip which would be cleared after taking off a couple of mm
[Reply]
bobarian 08:31 PM 05-12-2009
I cut all my torpedos/belicosos at an angle, this will increase the surface area. Sometimes though the draw will still tighten up and a second cut of about 1/4" will usually be enough to fix the draw problems. :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:31 PM 05-12-2009
Yup I have had to do that a few times as well
[Reply]
BigCat 07:32 AM 05-13-2009
Well its good to see I'm not alone on this one. I would have cut it again, but I left my cutter inside and I wasn't feeling like moving. :-) Thanks for the quick feedback guys.
[Reply]
bookman 07:32 AM 05-13-2009
I always cut torps with a v-cut. It gives them the best draw.
[Reply]
md4958 08:26 AM 05-13-2009
Ive had this happen to me as well, and not just on Torps. It also happens to me when I keep the cigar in my mouth too much.

I have theorized that this occurs because the saliva is re-hydrating the tobacco, and causing it to "plump up". Its just like smoking a cigar thats "too wet" and you get a poor draw. Not sure if my theory makes any sense, but thats what I keep telling myself.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:31 AM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
Ive had this happen to me as well, and not just on Torps. It also happens to me when I keep the cigar in my mouth too much.

I have theorized that this occurs because the saliva is re-hydrating the tobacco, and causing it to "plump up". Its just like smoking a cigar thats "too wet" and you get a poor draw. Not sure if my theory makes any sense, but thats what I keep telling myself.
I always think the same thing Moe.
Either I'm not crazy, or you're in it with me!:-):-)
[Reply]
ucla695 07:28 PM 05-13-2009
I had this happen to me over the weekend, but it was with a parejo. I cut a little more off and it took care of things.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:31 PM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
:-) Seems like I always hafta do this with torps!
[Reply]
Snake Hips 08:36 PM 05-13-2009
They tend to get plugged up with slobber for me; this doesn't happen with parejos because I punch them, and when I cut them, the spit only affects the outer edges.
[Reply]
jaycarla 11:52 PM 05-13-2009
I am smoking an LFD DL right now that has flat torpedo thing going on. Think of the wood tipped Hav-a-Tampa's.

Great cigar, but I have spit it out twice now. After 45 minutes though, I think I have it under control now.

Carry on.
[Reply]
jaycarla 12:24 AM 05-14-2009
Hate to thread jack here, but wanted to add that the LFD DL I just finished was a great cigar. Got it in my last lottery winnings, don't know who to thank, but it was a good one!
[Reply]
Cigary 02:53 AM 05-14-2009
Originally Posted by bookman:
I always cut torps with a v-cut. It gives them the best draw.
I do this as well and find that I get a very nice draw and don't encounter any problems.
[Reply]
BigCat 04:46 AM 05-14-2009
This is all good info. I'll have to look into a v cutter, although with this particular cigar it may not be a good option. It is the sharpest point I have ever seen on a torpedo, so I'm not sure a v cut would open it up enough. I appreciate all the feedback and will keep my cutter handy next time I smoke another one.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 11:22 AM 05-22-2009
Originally Posted by BigCat:
This is all good info. I'll have to look into a v cutter, although with this particular cigar it may not be a good option. It is the sharpest point I have ever seen on a torpedo, so I'm not sure a v cut would open it up enough. I appreciate all the feedback and will keep my cutter handy next time I smoke another one.
Perhaps a flat cut for about ¼", then a V-cut. BTW, I like the Legends Reds too. Loves me some Perdomos...
[Reply]
Up