Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>great LGC --box codes?
RichardW 11:08 PM 05-08-2009
I'm smoking a great LGC wavell this evening. Sometimes these cigars are just spot on :-)

I find it hard to believe , however, that no one in this community has been able to crack their box code:-)

I mean it's only a 3-letter/digit code: 4MS

I know the M indicates this cigar was rolled in Miami, but the box code algorithm changed a while ago -- has anyone solved the new code ???

I would think that some of the Ybor City crew may have cracked this code -- no ??
[Reply]
JJG 01:23 AM 05-09-2009
What's the purpose of having a code in the first place?

What information would be gained by cracking it?

date rolled? location?

I've never heard of this.

:-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 01:35 AM 05-09-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
What's the purpose of having a code in the first place?

What information would be gained by cracking it?

date rolled? location?

I've never heard of this.

:-)
It usually offers the month/year they were rolled. It also tells which factory it was rolled at (at least on the CC side of codes)
[Reply]
JJG 02:12 AM 05-09-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
It usually offers the month/year they were rolled. It also tells which factory it was rolled at (at least on the CC side of codes)
yeah with Cubans I know it's to protect against counterfeiting but I've never heard of NC brands coding their factory location and roll dates.
[Reply]
bobarian 09:57 AM 05-09-2009
yeah with Cubans I know it's to protect against counterfeiting but I've never heard of NC brands coding their factory location and roll dates.
Check the bottom of you Pepin boxes. Most, if not all will have date stamps. No code just a straight date stamp. Cuban cigars are the same, although they do have some additional letters on boxes from recent years noone has been able to come up with a code of any consistency. As for NC's 99% of them are made in the same factories so I see no reason for factory codes. :-)
[Reply]
JJG 01:10 PM 05-09-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Check the bottom of you Pepin boxes. Most, if not all will have date stamps. No code just a straight date stamp. Cuban cigars are the same, although they do have some additional letters on boxes from recent years noone has been able to come up with a code of any consistency. As for NC's 99% of them are made in the same factories so I see no reason for factory codes. :-)
agreed

Every NC box I've ever bought just had a simple date stamp, and a far as CC box codes go, I don't even try to decode them. I trust the vendors for authenticity and I'm not serious enough as a collector to care what factory my smokes came from.

I hope my first post didn't come off as being snarky. I've just never heard of NC companies using secret codes.
[Reply]
RichardW 08:49 PM 05-10-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:

Agreed -- the Pepin stamps are straight forward. La Flor Dominica has a more complex code that is discussed elsewhere. And yes, no need for a factory code in most cases. LGC, however, is one company that rolls both in the DR and in Miami, so a "country" code comes in handy. There may be others. I asked only about LGC , but many of the other cigars by General (Partagas, Macanudo, etc.) have similar box codes, which followed a predictable pattern until several years ago. :-)
[Reply]
RichardW 09:15 PM 05-10-2009
BTW --- Fuente, Padron, and a lot of NCs do not have any age-dating codes, but this thread describes the details and companies that do:

http://tinyurl.com/pvqtxh
[Reply]
TOB9595 10:42 PM 05-10-2009
I would love to see plain dates on boxes for packed date..is good..
Gives me a reference as I age sticks...boxes
Tom
[Reply]
RichardW 11:23 PM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by TOB9595:
I would love to see plain dates on boxes for packed date..is good..
Gives me a reference as I age sticks...boxes
Tom
That's what it is all about. A few -- Pepin and some of the JR boxes have plain dates (for example ERDM). If anyone has a recent box of ERDMs (or some of the other JR brands, perhaps we could crack the General code. :-)

My last box of ERDM rectangulares is dated before the paradigm shift :-)
[Reply]
JJG 01:14 PM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by RichardW:
That's what it is all about. A few -- Pepin and some of the JR boxes have plain dates (for example ERDM). If anyone has a recent box of ERDMs (or some of the other JR brands, perhaps we could crack the General code. :-)

My last box of ERDM rectangulares is dated before the paradigm shift :-)
a few years back I ordered a box of ERDM Tinos from JR. It must not be a popular size because the date code put them at over 6 years old. :-)

possibly the tastiest NC box I've ever purchased
[Reply]
RichardW 10:26 PM 05-20-2009
a few years back I ordered a box of ERDM Tinos from JR. It must not be a popular size because the date code put them at over 6 years old. :-)

possibly the tastiest NC box I've ever purchased

:-) and you didn't re-order:-) Guess I'll just have to pick up another box of ERDM and crack the code :-)
[Reply]
Up