Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 29
« First < 234 5614 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>nice rums?
Mark C 02:00 PM 11-17-2008
I love the Pampero. Personally, a bit more than Zacapa (I lean towards less sweet rums). It's not as sweet, but still smooth and delicious. Many of the same flavors. Definitely worth the money.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:15 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Where in the world is North Kakalaki?
Maybe we can work out a trade or something.
You ain't from the South, are ya?
:-):-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:17 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by physiognomy:
Can anyone recommend Ron Anejo Aniversario Pampero or compare it to Zaya/Zacapa? I enjoy both & am thinking of picking up a bottle of Pampero since a local store has it for $32.

Get it, it's delicious. :-)
[Reply]
physiognomy 12:01 PM 11-19-2008
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Pampero... I will be picking up a bottle this week or next.
[Reply]
wayner123 08:23 PM 11-24-2008
Look what showed up at my house today!!

I don't think I will ever have the chance to get more, so I am going to take my time with this bottle.
[Reply]
gorob23 08:25 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Get it, it's delicious. :-)
EXCELLENT Choice:-)

Rob
[Reply]
gorob23 08:28 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by poker:
Can you believe none of it is for me? LOL :-)
WTF is wrong with you!!:-)

Rob
[Reply]
poker 08:29 PM 11-24-2008
I get it for you, dumas! :-)
[Reply]
gorob23 08:35 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by poker:
I get it for you, dumas! :-)
:-) no need your constant friendship is plenty ..ok that and your G/F:-)
[Reply]
poker 08:40 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by gorob23:
:-) no need your constant friendship is plenty ..ok that and your G/F:-)
Tiff is not available :-)
[Reply]
Langod 10:14 AM 11-25-2008
Question:
The only really good "sipping" rum that I recognize and that I've found in the State Liquor stores up here is Pyrat XO.

So how does Pyrat compare to the rums that you all are raving about here like Zaya, Rhum Barbancourt, Ron Zacapa, etc... Am I missing out on a lot?

Also anyone have a opinion on Rhum Clement? I recently tried some Clement Creole Shrubb which is an orange infused rum-based liqueur and was very good. I'm curious if their premium rum is good stuff, too. http://www.rhumclement.net/main/
[Reply]
Mark C 10:57 AM 11-25-2008
You're missing out. I find Pyrat to be fairly sweet, so in that way it's similar to Zaya and Zacapa, but the flavors are very different. Pyrat is a little lighter in body, I'd say medium at most, while Zacapa is more full. I get a dominant orange flavor from Pyrat that pushes everything else out of the picture, while Zacapa is more molasses, vanilla, and a little wood. Haven't tried it, but I hear the new Zaya is similar, with much more emphasis on vanilla.

Barbancourt is a different animal altogether. It's not a sweet rum, and the flavors depend on which bottle you buy (i.e. the age of the rum). The older versions are fuller bodied rums with 'darker' flavors, not as bright as the sweet rums.

Rhum Clement is also an entirely different thing, being a rhum agricole from Martinique. That type of rum tends to present more floral flavors, no molasses, little wood, and a medium body. It's a little more complex, and a little more subtle than the 'in your face' rums like Zacapa. If you can find it, grab a bottle.
[Reply]
Cyanide 11:56 AM 12-03-2008
I am going to have to agree with someone on the first page of this thread....

Matusalem is by far the best Rum I have come across and tasted.

That said, I have seen a bottle of Appleton's 30 yr rum before. I don't know if its better, never tried it....but if I ever see it again I will be getting it and then I will have an opinion. I am betting I will end up changing my answer....not that I am biased or anything

Cyanide
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 09:04 PM 12-07-2008
All the talk of Zaya and the vanilla flavor has got me intrigued . I'm a beer guy with probably 20 different beers on hand and I do enjoy Port occasionally . Would the Zaya be a good place for a Rum Rookie to start ? The only other info I can add is that I do like mixed drinks made with rum . All the standard resort concoctions except I've never had a Mojito .
[Reply]
Rowdymon 09:26 PM 12-07-2008
A couple of rums I enjoy...

Brugals, good enough to sip on a regular basis, yet inexpensive enough to serve to folks who aren't picky.

Don Q, Serralles - a good sipping rum, and their crystal is good for mixing

Planters Gold, another good sipping rum.

H Club is awesome, but being illegal, I hide it and horde it.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:39 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ:
All the talk of Zaya and the vanilla flavor has got me intrigued . I'm a beer guy with probably 20 different beers on hand and I do enjoy Port occasionally . Would the Zaya be a good place for a Rum Rookie to start ? The only other info I can add is that I do like mixed drinks made with rum . All the standard resort concoctions except I've never had a Mojito .
Zaya is a good start. :-)
[Reply]
Mark C 07:05 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Zaya is a good start. :-)
:-) I've never met anyone who didn't like Zaya. The sweet and smooth qualities make it very easy to sip.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 10:40 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ:
Zaya is certainly a good place to start.

Shame on you, for never having a Mojito. You should make that a priority!!!
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 07:08 PM 12-08-2008
Thanks for the help . When I go and get my father his bottle of Crown Royal Reserve for Christmas I'll have to look for the Zaya .
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:32 PM 12-08-2008
I despise all of you. Whenever I read a rum thread, for some reason, I drool.
I do enjoy the Guat Zaya, and have tried a couple of the very common other brands listed here, but hope to branch out a bit myself when the itch becomes a scratch.

Note to the rum rookies, however, you want a white or silver rum for Mojitos, not a dark or anejo. One of the Rummies can correct me if I am wrong, though.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 29
« First < 234 5614 > Last »
Up