Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 25
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
General Discussion>New Hobby: Bee Keeping
BigAsh 07:09 AM 05-17-2017
Helmet cam needed!....and love the shirt tucked into the sweatpants, its a good look on you...Dumb question: Is the "honey-comb shape" already on the frames, or do the bees make that with such precision?
[Reply]
massphatness 07:16 AM 05-17-2017
Fashion is secondary to preventing bees flying up open shirts, pants, shorts, etc. :-)

The frames I use are pre-printed with a very light raised honeycomb pattern & the bees build off that. Without it, they would still build out comb in the general shape, but it wouldn't be as tidy.

The comb from this earlier photo was built free-form and was not on a frame. You can see they still build it in the typical honeycomb shape.

[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:34 AM 05-17-2017
For stills I have always found going frame by frame on a computer and doing screen caps works well.

I couldn't get within 50 yards of that box of death, I'd be gassing them like I was Assad on a Saturday night partying with my buddy the Grand General Khamenei Pooh Bah of Iran, not just spritzing them with a little smoke.

That being said a honey lemon BBQ sauce on ribs with honey right from the source does sound tantalizingly good.
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:11 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Fashion is secondary to preventing bees flying up open shirts, pants, shorts, etc. :-)

The frames I use are pre-printed with a very light raised honeycomb pattern & the bees build off that. Without it, they would still build out comb in the general shape, but it wouldn't be as tidy.

The comb from this earlier photo was built free-form and was not on a frame. You can see they still build it in the typical honeycomb shape.

not sure why I find this so fascinating ...but I do...:-)
[Reply]
bonjing 08:49 AM 05-17-2017
Still very cool Vin and thanks for keeping this updated! And your pup is cute. Have you tasted any honey out of the hive yet? I know I wouldn't be able to resist once I saw the honey production.

Does the dog bother the hive?
[Reply]
massphatness 09:17 AM 05-17-2017
I won't be taking honey out of the hive until much later this summer, if at all this year. As this is a new hive, my number one priority is to make sure the hive is strong and healthy. Part of that is ensuring the bees have enough food stores (pollen & honey) to overwinter in snowy New England.

If I get lucky, there might be some surplus honey in the fall, and that would be completely awesome. Too early to tell yet, though.

The dog doesn't bother the hive. She's sniffed around a bit, and I am absolutely certain the bees will let her know if she's making a pest of herself. :-) So far though, all is good. (Grace's sister has a lab mix puppy that found out first hand why you don't stick your snuffler in the hive. She didn't go near it again after that experience.)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 10:38 AM 05-17-2017
Second box creates a larger hive. A strong, healthy hive generally has two boxes of 10 frames each and approximately 50-60,000 honey bees. (All of which are programmed to swarm on July 15.)
Now we'll learn just how fast Tom can run.:-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:44 AM 05-17-2017
The dog doesn't bother the hive. She's sniffed around a bit, and I am absolutely certain the bees will let her know if she's making a pest of herself. :-) So far though, all is good. (Grace's sister has a lab mix puppy that found out first hand why you don't stick your snuffler in the hive. She didn't go near it again after that experience.)
Hmmm...if only you'd learn likewise....just my 2 copper penny's worth...:-)
[Reply]
Conch Republican 05:39 PM 05-17-2017
Wow
[Reply]
massphatness 11:40 AM 05-19-2017
While setting up a sprinkler the other night, I inadvertently showered the hive for a few moments. Not the hugest of deals because it's covered, but I did witness something pretty interesting take place immediately afterwards. Once the water cut off, the bees instantly started scurrying about, drinking up the water and bringing it inside the hive for later use.

The video below is less than 10 seconds long, and you may have to loop through a few times, but you'll see a bee right near the bottom of the frame extend her tongue to suck up the water. On a relative basis, Gene Simmons has nothing on bees! The tongue rolls out of their mouth sorta' like a New Years Eve noisemaker.

(Sorry for the eye strain on the video - I really have to figure out how to get better at this)

[Reply]
markem 02:04 PM 05-19-2017
I think that CA should take up a collection to install a "bee cam" at Vin's place so that we can check out the hive(s) any time.
[Reply]
8zeros 09:08 AM 05-20-2017
I learned beekeeping as a kid on an orchard. My wife wanted to start a few hives until I pointed out how we don't even have enough time for all the chores we have already. Maybee when we retire, which is getting sooner.
[Reply]
markem 11:41 AM 05-21-2017
Hey Vin, bees from National Geographic!

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...50415-ngm-bees
[Reply]
jrw 11:45 AM 05-21-2017
Theif stole $1 million worth of hives.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...ies/101816412/
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 09:23 AM 05-22-2017
Still so cool to watch and read everything.
[Reply]
massphatness 01:21 PM 05-22-2017
Last Friday Grace & I did a hive inspection to gauge the girl's progress in building out the remaining frames in the brood box. They're doing great, and have filled 75%-80% of the frames with drawn comb, so it's time to add a second box.

The second box is identical to the first: 10 frames for them to build on. As they finish off their work on the first box, the bees will move up into the second and continue to build.

The whole point of this is to grow a strong, stable, healthy hive with ample space for both resources and brood. The queen will continue to lay eggs in the second box, and the bees will also produce honey & store pollen in there as well. And as I mentioned before, the honey in these boxes are for the bees to use to feed themselves and nourish the new larva. It's not for me to harvest. That'll come down the road only after they've successfully built out the second box to capacity.

Here's what the hive looks like now:

Wanted to document some of the more interesting finds during the inspection.

This is a frame of comb that has been nearly 100% built out. Image

The photo below is a closer view of the brood comb (both open & capped) from a different frame in the hive. Image

This final pic shows capped honey in the upper two-thirds of frame. (The lower left corner of the photo looks to be brood.) You can get a sense for the dimpling inward texture of the capping on the honey cells. The hollowed out comb cells are empty, having been used as food for the hive.

Will check the hive in another couple weeks or so to see what kind of progress they're making on the new box. The pace should really start to ramp up now as new bees are emerging every day.
[Reply]
croatan 01:24 PM 05-22-2017
Still loving this thread. Thanks, Vin!
[Reply]
stearns 01:40 PM 05-22-2017
Awesome update, thanks Vin. If I need a favor from a good apiarist I know who to call :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:07 PM 05-22-2017
Bees are so damn efficient. Thanks for the entertaining and enlightening updates!
[Reply]
Mikepd 07:46 PM 05-22-2017
Hey Vin, I know you brought in a queen from the same "farm" as the stock of bees when you started this hive earlier in the spring, but have you seen any signs of any queen cells in the bottom box? I'd be interested to see if your first new generation of brood rejects the queen now that you put in the second box up top if she refuses to move to the new comb they make. As far as cell reuse, a lot of times if the "paper" of the cocoons that previously hatched are still in cells, they will only place eggs in there, while former storage cells (from pollen or honey) they'll reuse for anything.
Your hive is looking good and I'm glad to see such a lively hive with the crazy weather we have gotten over the past month.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 25
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Up