Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 98 of 198
« First < 4888969798 99100108148 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
icehog3 09:22 AM 01-20-2020
I'd seen some other guys touting Larceny on another board (though not a store pick). Glad I read your thoughts, Ben, I am a little less intrigued now. :-)

Went with a pour of the NR SiB Rye last night. Liked it even better than the first pour.

[Reply]
stearns 09:43 AM 01-20-2020
I'm still gonna give Larceny's regular release a try, heard good things about it, maybe this pick was done specifically because of the unique profile. To some I'm sure the profile is sought after, to me it's just interesting
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 06:04 PM 01-20-2020
I have been sampling a whole lot of different bourbons since my move to Texas in Oct. I and 3 other fellas knocked off a bottle of Balviens Doublewood...excellent! We are currently working on a bottle of four roses which is really nice. Sweet aroma, not too much of an alcohol burn, real pleasant.
I was introduced to Wellers (not the 12 year) it's a good inexpensive drink. Like it a lot. :-)

you guys have a nice evening!
[Reply]
icehog3 06:18 PM 01-20-2020
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick:
I have been sampling a whole lot of different bourbons since my move to Texas in Oct. I and 3 other fellas knocked off a bottle of Balviens Doublewood...excellent! We are currently working on a bottle of four roses which is really nice. Sweet aroma, not too much of an alcohol burn, real pleasant.
I was introduced to Wellers (not the 12 year) it's a good inexpensive drink. Like it a lot. :-)

you guys have a nice evening!
Nice, Kevin. :-) Which Four Roses?
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 06:42 PM 01-20-2020
Just the plain jane 4 roses. I'm gonna look for some aged. Any suggestions? I'm already going to look for a bottle of Riff.
[Reply]
Steve 06:58 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick:
Just the plain jane 4 roses. I'm gonna look for some aged. Any suggestions? I'm already going to look for a bottle of Riff.
I prefer the Single Barrel over the Small Batch. Small batch was a little too sweet for my taste.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:22 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Steve:
I prefer the Single Barrel over the Small Batch. Small batch was a little too sweet for my taste.
Steve hit the nail on the head, Kevin, I just restocked my Four Roses Single Barrel a couple weeks back.

Last night had a pour of some Booker's.

[Reply]
stearns 08:32 AM 01-21-2020
Country Ham? Thoughts?
[Reply]
Steve 09:09 AM 01-21-2020
Had a nice bourbon filled weekend. Picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 after hearing talk of it on this thread, it did not disappoint!

Lu and I also decided to fool around a little and concocted a Double Infused Bacon Bourbon :-)

Not bad, but a little goes a long way... :-)
[Reply]
stearns 10:06 AM 01-21-2020
Lookin good! Got one of those cigar glasses for Christmas but haven't used it yet
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 11:55 AM 01-21-2020
I just picked up a bottle of Rowan's Creek today. I've seen very mixed reviews and looks to be a sourced whiskey, but I like to sample and $40 doesn't break the bank. We used to live on a Rowan Road, so the name pulled me in some too. 100.1 proof, so it's the strongest bottle I've got so far. I'll be breaking this open tonight with a stogie and some Game of Thrones.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:43 PM 01-21-2020
Country Ham has some good back end spice and pretty smooth, Ben. I'm just bummed I haven't been able to find a bottle of the Teresa's Batch, I hear it is crazy good.

Steve, that's the second comment I've seem today on the 1920, think I'm going to try it at some point soon. So how's the BB? :-)

Ray, looking forward to your thoughts on the Rowan's Creek. See it all the time but have yet to try it, always think about that and Noah's Mill.
[Reply]
Steve 03:44 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Steve, that's the second comment I've seem today on the 1920, think I'm going to try it at some point soon. So how's the BB? :-)
I really enjoyed the 1920. Next time I'll try the Bottled in Bond 1897 I think. Its 80 proof compared to the Prohibition 111. Even for a 111 proof,, it was really pretty smooth with a nice nose and finish.

BiB is...interesting. Not something I would drink a lot of or often even, but I've had worse. Started with Knob Creek 100 proof, so it has that going for it :-)

Lu took a bit to her school for an administrator's lunch. I hear it went over well :-)
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 02:17 AM 01-22-2020
Country Ham has some good back end spice and pretty smooth, Ben. I'm just bummed I haven't been able to find a bottle of the Teresa's Batch, I hear it is crazy good.

Ray, looking forward to your thoughts on the Rowan's Creek. See it all the time but have yet to try it, always think about that and Noah's Mill.
Well, first impressions aren't that great. Too oaky and smokey for my liking. A drop of water calmed the alcohol bloom down and let the flavors come out more. I'm mixed on it though. On one hand, I didn't like it as much as the other bourbons I've tried, but on the other it did compliment my cigar rather well. May try this one in a cocktail or two. The heavy smoke and oak might make a stellar cocktail.....and the 100.1 proof might be nice too.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:26 AM 01-22-2020
Thanks Steve and Ray. :-)

On my list: OF 1920
Off my list: Rowan's Creek
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:35 PM 01-22-2020
Been hitting the OF 1920 hard lately. So good!
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 07:55 PM 01-22-2020
I'm gonna have to try out the OF 1920.

How about Bulleit Bourbon and the Jefferson Bourbons? I also haven't tried any 4 Roses yet either.
[Reply]
The camaro show 08:24 PM 01-22-2020
Having a pour of Paul John edited tonight all, second pour of this and I like it much better then the first pour. I also am feeling the burn much less and starting to get more notes.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:18 PM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
Been hitting the OF 1920 hard lately. So good!
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR:
I'm gonna have to try out the OF 1920.
You and me both. Thanks Hoots. :-)

How about Bulleit Bourbon and the Jefferson Bourbons? I also haven't tried any 4 Roses yet either.[/quote]

I really dig Bulleit Rye, if you're into the ryes, Ray. I am also a big fan of the Four Roses Single Barrel, it's about $44 by me.

I've only had the regular 1792, wasn't super impressed.

Originally Posted by The camaro show:
Having a pour of Paul John edited tonight all, second pour of this and I like it much better then the first pour. I also am feeling the burn much less and starting to get more notes.
Not familiar with that one, Chayse.

Did have my first pour of regular Buffalo Trace while at the Blackhawks game last night. I can see why I like so many BT brands if they're using this as a start. Pretty dang good for $24 a bottle whiskey. :-)
[Reply]
The camaro show 11:02 PM 01-22-2020
You and me both. Thanks Hoots. :-)

How about Bulleit Bourbon and the Jefferson Bourbons? I also haven't tried any 4 Roses yet either.
I really dig Bulleit Rye, if you're into the ryes, Ray. I am also a big fan of the Four Roses Single Barrel, it's about $44 by me.

I've only had the regular 1792, wasn't super impressed.

Not familiar with that one, Chayse.

Did have my first pour of regular Buffalo Trace while at the Blackhawks game last night. I can see why I like so many BT brands if they're using this as a start. Pretty dang good for $24 a bottle whiskey. :-)[/quote]

It’s good Tom, I know your not a pear fan and this one is very lightly peated. They have a wide line up I’m sure you’d find something you like. I get some oak, citrus and molasses along with some spice. It’s smooth too and very very low heat.
[Reply]
Page 98 of 198
« First < 4888969798 99100108148 > Last »
Up