Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Quick Humi Question
ValorBali41 07:30 PM 05-10-2010
My humidor experienced a few big RH swings. I forgot to winterize it, so it dropped to 55%. I re-wiped with Propylene and got it to stay at 71 for only a few days before falling. I am wondering if it acceptable just to keep the RH at like a 65-69 RH setting using regulative packets (Bovéda). Is there any difference in keeping cigars at 71-75 versus 65-69? Does taste change? Can I keep them at 65-69?:-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 07:37 PM 05-10-2010
Lots of people keep their cigars at 65% because they want to do so. I would suggest looking in to some beads to help regulate your humidity (Heartfelt or Shilala's).
[Reply]
ValorBali41 07:39 PM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by lightning9191:
Lots of people keep their cigars at 65% because they want to do so. I would suggest looking in to some beads to help regulate your humidity (Heartfelt or Shilala's).
Is there any taste difference? Does anything change with varying humidity?
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:42 PM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by ValorBali41:
Is there any taste difference? Does anything change with varying humidity?
I find they burn better and taste better between 62-66 (YMMV). And they're less likely to develop mold.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 07:42 PM 05-10-2010
I think a bunch of replys are
1. Get Beads.
2. Never wipe a humi with Propylene.
3. I like mine at 65 or maybe even 63.

^^^See told ya.
[Reply]
shilala 08:01 PM 05-10-2010
The beads suggestion is a good one. I'd scrub that humi out with soap and water and try to get that greasy glycol off the wood. Someone mentioned not to do that anymore, that was an excellent suggestion.
The taste changes a lot when you keep your smokes down around 60-65 RH. They get musch better and burn issues disappear. I keep creeping lower and lower. I find the cigars just keep getting better and better. I'm down closer to 60 now and I'm enjoying my cigars a lot more.
You asked about the taste difference, I find it's dramatic. When cigars are up around 70%, they all taste a lot the same. Wet tastes wet. It's not very pleasant. The individual flavors of cigars really shine when they're less wet, and the dirty ashtray flavor disappears. Unless you're smoking cc's. :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:05 PM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I find they burn better and taste better between 62-66 (YMMV). And they're less likely to develop mold.
:-) I've been very satisfied with 65%. They seem to burn better and have better draws.
[Reply]
ValorBali41 08:09 PM 05-10-2010
:-)Why the bad rap on Propylene? I've had the Humi for 1 1/2 years, and I feel that it keeps the wood more saturated. Plus its not that greasy and lasts longer, plus its anti-fungal so that gets laced into the wood :-)

Also have noticed that there is no after taste or anything when dealing with propylene vs. distilled
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 08:25 PM 05-10-2010
I haven't noticed any tastes from prop. vs. water.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 08:43 PM 05-10-2010
75% RH is WAY too high. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:16 AM 05-11-2010
:-)Why the bad rap on Propylene? I've had the Humi for 1 1/2 years, and I feel that it keeps the wood more saturated. Plus its not that greasy and lasts longer, plus its anti-fungal so that gets laced into the wood :-)

Also have noticed that there is no after taste or anything when dealing with propylene vs. distilled
Because it's unsanitary, gathers dirt, and drowns the spanish cedar. If cigars aren't cello'd, it'll soak into the cigars, too. There's all kinds of good reasons not to do it.
Honestly, you are the very first person who I have ever heard come up with this. It's really a bad idea. Not trying to make you look silly, and no one else is, I'm sure.
On a technical level, it will swell and ruin the wood your humidor is made of. Rubbing the wood with distilled water while cigars are in there is the absolute best way I can imagine to grow mold. Also a bad idea.
There are really good ways to achieve results, and some bad ways. Rubbing anything on the wood isn't a good way.
Hope this helps!!! :-)
[Reply]
ValorBali41 11:03 AM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
There are really good ways to achieve results, and some bad ways. Rubbing anything on the wood isn't a good way.
Hope this helps!!! :-)
ARen't you supposed to season the humidor, let it dry then load up the cigars? I never rub anything on the wood while the sticks are in there. How are you supposed to season the humidor and have it keep humidity? Wont the wood just absorb all the humidity from the pack bc spanish cedar is an incredibly thirsty wood, and will take the RH from the air? What's the best way to season and prep the humi?
[Reply]
icehog3 11:14 AM 05-11-2010
ARen't you supposed to season the humidor, let it dry then load up the cigars? I never rub anything on the wood while the sticks are in there. How are you supposed to season the humidor and have it keep humidity? Wont the wood just absorb all the humidity from the pack bc spanish cedar is an incredibly thirsty wood, and will take the RH from the air? What's the best way to season and prep the humi?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=season
[Reply]
shilala 11:24 AM 05-11-2010
The Hog got ya on that link up there. ^
Mark knows stuff. He's got lots of stickies, too.
There's a lot of ways to cheat and make things move faster, and to make things more complicated, I'm the master at that. :-)
A bowl of distilled water and time is the best.
It might help to say that Spanish Cedar won't "take" RH from the air. It'll only assume the RH level it's exposed to. It's not a sponge, although it's more porous than other woods. Yes, it'll hold more water than other woods. Maybe a drop more per board foot than oak. It's one of those things that kinda gets stretched out of proportion.
If you're struggling to keep your humidity up, which is common, there's a good liklihood your humi is leaky. You'll be able to tell after too long. Just read a bit here, there's lots of talk on how to maintain and diagnose your humidor.
Keep asking questions, too. That helps a LOT. :-)
[Reply]
ValorBali41 04:03 PM 05-11-2010
Thanks Guys, really appreciate all the help! I think I will wait until the RH falls again, then try the distilled water and dish method :-)
[Reply]
Humidor Minister 05:16 PM 05-11-2010
IMHO CC's @59% to 60%. All others at 65%. Any more than that and the draw can be poor. Heart felt beads or Cigarmoney puck. Either way you can't go wrong.

As far as applying anything to the wood goes, don't do it. Let it season the old fashion way...time. When ever you wet one side of a piece of wood, it causes uneven expansion of the wood fibers. you can cause the wood to warp, split or do strange things in general. It also raises the grain. That will give the Cedar a rough feeling.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:56 PM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by Humidor Minister:
...Heart felt beads or Cigarmoney puck. Either way you can't go wrong.
I realize that I am biased, but Shilala's beads work pretty darn well too :-)
[Reply]
Trouble 09:35 PM 05-11-2010
I had nothing but problems with Heartfelt. Shilala beads work great and if you stick around you will see Scott and Michael are just good people.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:19 PM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by Trouble:
I had nothing but problems with Heartfelt. Shilala beads work great and if you stick around you will see Scott and Michael are just good people.
Scott and Michael are great people and their beads work great. But I have had several transactions with Heartfelt as well, and never had a problem.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:00 AM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Scott and Michael are great people and their beads work great. But I have had several transactions with Heartfelt as well, and never had a problem.
I think CA has a wealth of great people who provide good products and services!
[Reply]
Up