Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
General Discussion>Plasma or LCD?
ucla695 09:00 PM 11-26-2008
I have a Sony XBR (120 Mhz) and it's great for the bedroom. We do most of my gaming there... Then after some research, I plucked down some coin and pulled the trigger on a Pioneer Elite Kuros. Even better. :-) Just do some research and see what fits your budget. For live action and sports, I would go for a plasma. Less motion blur.
[Reply]
MTB996 09:42 PM 11-26-2008
As others have said, depends on the size and use. Large (>52") and not for gaming, go with plasma. The pioneer Kuros is the best TV on the market today. If smaller size or burn in is an issue, go with LCD.

As far as LCD, we are starting to see LED backlit LCDs and they can get to over 500,000 contrast ratio and the 120hz resolves most of the motion artifacts. My problem, my TV is not available yet: LED backlit (RGB, not white) LCD at 65"....it will be the best of both worlds, just not available yet.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 09:53 PM 11-26-2008
A/B comparisions at the store can help you figure out "what you like". Once you get them home you will like what you see, (and hear) no matter what you buy so price should be a big consideration for all but the stupid rich. The hearing part many folks miss in the decision process. What surround sound system will you add to the new toy.

Contrast ratios, brightness and refresh rates are specs you should not ignore.... not just resolution.
[Reply]
mash 10:32 PM 11-26-2008
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
A/B comparisions at the store can help you figure out "what you like". Once you get them home you will like what you see, (and hear) no matter what you buy so price should be a big consideration for all but the stupid rich. The hearing part many folks miss in the decision process. What surround sound system will you add to the new toy.

Contrast ratios, brightness and refresh rates are specs you should not ignore.... not just resolution.
The one caveat about comparing them in the store is a potential difference in set up. Particularly where they have the contrast and brightness at. That can make a big impact, if they are set up differently you may not be comparing apples to apples. Typically stores have those settings way up, what is referred to as "torch mode", to make them stand out. If you do get plasma, make sure to turn down the contrast when you get it home. If there is someone in your area that does ISF calibration, you may want to consider it.
[Reply]
KASR 08:01 AM 11-27-2008
Am I the only one that's gonna pitch the "bang for the buck" value of an HDTV DLP???
There's smoking deals at tigerdirect for Mitsubishi 60+inch 1080p DLP's over there!
The thickness is about 15inch and horizontal width of anywhere from 53+ inches.

I'm hoping Santa brings me the 65inch model! :-)
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:24 AM 11-27-2008
Does anyone know what Directv broadcasts? Are they 1080 or 720?
[Reply]
KASR 09:44 AM 11-27-2008
1080i
[Reply]
AD720 09:47 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Does anyone know what Directv broadcasts? Are they 1080 or 720?
I believe Direct TV does 1280x1080 (not the full 1920x1080 which = 1080i) for all of the HD channels now, which is often referred to as "HD-Lite".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite
[Reply]
KASR 09:48 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by AD720:
...which is often referred to as "HD-Lite".
It's HD with half the fat AND it's less filling!!! :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:51 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
I picked up a 50 inch Vizio plasma from Costco. I love the damn thing. However, it can make the room very warm if left on for an extended period of time.
That's your girlfriend that is causing that, not the TV.

Glad I could help. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 10:01 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by KASR:
It's HD with half the fat AND it's less filling!!! :-)

Same great HD taste, half the calories!
[Reply]
ucla695 10:27 AM 11-27-2008
Looks great, less filling.

Depending on where you shop, you might also want to bring along copies of some of your favorite movies so you can see how good they look on the TVs your considering.
[Reply]
shilala 12:51 PM 11-27-2008
I have a couple 42" Toshiba plasmas and a 52" Toshiba DLP.
I love all of them.
I don't like the look of an LCD at all, still haven't seen one I'd take home.
Add to that, if the room is bright I can't see it.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 01:02 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by KASR:
Am I the only one that's gonna pitch the "bang for the buck" value of an HDTV DLP???
There's smoking deals at tigerdirect for Mitsubishi 60+inch 1080p DLP's over there!
The thickness is about 15inch and horizontal width of anywhere from 53+ inches.

I'm hoping Santa brings me the 65inch model! :-)
have a 50 inch Sammy DLP not a new LED one but still has a great picture :-)
[Reply]
DragonMan 01:12 PM 11-27-2008
I bought the Samsung Series 5 50" Plasma TV and the picture quality is great!! I have yet to see a LCD with as nice a picture as a Plasma. Good luck with your purchase Jon! :-)

[Reply]
Genetic Defect 01:31 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by DragonMan:
I bought the Samsung Series 5 50" Plasma TV and the picture quality is great!! I have yet to see a LCD with as nice a picture as a Plasma. Good luck with your purchase Jon! :-)

how do black helicopters look on it?
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 03:03 PM 11-27-2008
Just bought a 46" Samsung 5 series LCD. I didn't like the way the plasmas looked.
[Reply]
JE3146 03:56 PM 11-27-2008
Plasmas > LCD

The worst plasma will look equal to a mid line LCD. Enough said. And the burn-in thing is a wive's tale. Technology has overcome it. There may be IR, but that is not burn-in.

I use my Plasma for gaming, and after nearly 2 years. No signs of burnin.

Only thing to sway yourself to an LCD over the plasma is if you have a lot of windows in your living room, OR you have a small room that'd get too hot, too quickly. Plasmas put out a lot of heat.
[Reply]
DragonMan 07:01 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
how do black helicopters look on it?
Quite real, especially with the surround sound!!! Good thing my cigars are not kept in the same room!! :-)

[Reply]
Genetic Defect 08:00 PM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by DragonMan:
Quite real, especially with the surround sound!!! Good thing my cigars are not kept in the same room!! :-)

:-):-) to funny :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up