Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Christmas Trees
Stogeyfish 09:43 AM 12-02-2008
Driving in to work today we saw the Christmas tree lots and noticed the non-white flocked trees - pink and blue. When I was younger, I remember that banks would have colored, mostly white (snow) flocked trees in their lobby.

I'm just curious, other than the white "snow" flocked trees have you or anyone you know ever had a pink or blue one?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:56 AM 12-02-2008
Hey there Donald; good to see 'ya!

Yep, I had a couple good, goth friends who went with a pink tree for a couple of years. It's a good question you ask; I wonder if the rest of the country offers up pink, blue, red & yellow trees (I've seen 'em all out here) or it's just us Hollywood folk!
[Reply]
Andyman 10:04 AM 12-02-2008
Thats just sooo very wrong!
[Reply]
Mark C 10:09 AM 12-02-2008
Must just be the left coast. Most people around here seem to think it's a crime just to use a fake tree, let alone one that barely resembles the real thing.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:34 AM 12-02-2008
My grandparents would always get a pink flocked tree back in the fifties.

Now that I think about it, their bathroom and bedroom were pink as well. They must have been trying to coordinate. And then there was their neighbor who always drove pink caddies............. :-)

Back on track - I can't recall ever knowing anyone else who had a tree flocked in a color.
[Reply]
md4958 12:12 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
It's a good question you ask; I wonder if the rest of the country offers up pink, blue, red & yellow trees (I've seen 'em all out here) or it's just us Hollywood folk!
I think its just you "gays"
[Reply]
RGD. 12:21 PM 12-02-2008
Pink and Blue? Heck I don't even like tinsel on a tree - (although the wife insists and does it herself).

Originally Posted by Mark C:
Must just be the left coast. Most people around here seem to think it's a crime just to use a fake tree, let alone one that barely resembles the real thing.

Still using live trees here - :-)

Personally I am tired of them. Tired of the mess, fire hazard, cost, etc etc. I have a boat load of ornaments and lights and require a tree that can hold them all - typically in the $80 and up range. Every year I push for a high end fake - wife isn't budging yet - but it's getting close.

Maybe next year -

Ron
[Reply]
Gophernut 12:36 PM 12-02-2008
I was just having this discussion with my wife last night as we got our real tree decorated. Nothing like the smell of fresh cut pine!
My mother claims we once had a pink flocked tree because it was my younger sister's year to pick the tree, but I don't personally remember having a pink flocked one. I do remember a number of the white flocked ones.
[Reply]
theycallmedan'lboone 01:19 PM 12-02-2008
this flocked thing? what does it mean? Does that mean people actually don't use REAL trees?
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:04 PM 12-02-2008
In the 1960's my Grandfather had a tree in the outer office that was made entirely of silver tinsel. Then he had a spot light with a rotating wheel with four different colors in front of it. The reflection made the tree change colors as the wheel rotated. Even as a little kid I would laugh because even at that age I knew it was tacky.:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 05:02 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone:
this flocked thing? what does it mean? Does that mean people actually don't use REAL trees?
It's a real tree, usually, that people spray a powdered "snow" on it. Usually white, but obviously there are options. Never liked the flocked thing. It's kinda like the Ron Popeil "Hair In A Can" thing.
[Reply]
ucla695 05:07 PM 12-02-2008
Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen a pink or blue flocked tree. Perhaps my imagination is lacking, but that just's something that I can do without. Kinda like using a pink or blue football. :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 05:47 PM 12-02-2008
Yeah, somehow pink or blue flocked tree just seems wrong.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 05:51 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
In the 1960's my Grandfather had a tree in the outer office that was made entirely of silver tinsel. Then he had a spot light with a rotating wheel with four different colors in front of it. The reflection made the tree change colors as the wheel rotated. Even as a little kid I would laugh because even at that age I knew it was tacky.:-)
I love the '60's tinsel tree! We go to an annual Christmas Eve party & they've got one spinning in the basement. It's awesome!

Originally Posted by ucla695:
Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen a pink or blue flocked tree.
Mike, slow down, don't get a ticket, and you'll notice 'em on the street corners! :-):-) Sorry my man....they really exist out here, though. For real. Next time you're out in deep Hollywood, you'll see 'em there for sure. Los Feliz...Silverlake too!
[Reply]
Up