Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo
kelmac07 09:26 AM 11-21-2009
Anyone had one of these sticks? Would love to hear thoughts from those that have tried it.

How was it?
Flavor?
Worth the $ 25 a stick?
Overhyped?
Would you smoke it again?
[Reply]
SmokinApe 09:28 AM 11-21-2009
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=510

Sounds like BS to me... I'd never pay $25 for one...
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:29 AM 11-21-2009
Ive heard mixed opinions on this cigar, nothing outstanding. IMHO I would get something else for 25 bones a stick.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:29 AM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=510

Sounds like BS to me... I'd never pay $25 for one...
I saw that...I don't like to trust Cigar reviews from websites...was looking for an inmates thoughts on this stick. thanks bro!!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:35 AM 11-21-2009
You can buy em a little cheaper here...

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...%20Pre-Embargo

3 for 40.00
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:22 AM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:

How was it? Mediocre
Flavor? Typical Camacho
Worth the $ 25 a stick? No
Overhyped? Is there any hype? If so, yes.
Would you smoke it again? No
Answers in red above.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:17 PM 11-21-2009
How was it? Good, but "different".
Flavor? It had that vintage tobacco taste.
Worth the $ 25 a stick? No. That's why I got the 3 pack from CI.
Overhyped? Hype?
Would you smoke it again? Yes. I got a second coffin of three from CI. I've only had one but I'll keep a few on hand if I can.

Did you need one?:-)
Ratters 12:20 PM 11-21-2009
Didn't care for it, and I love most things Camacho.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:23 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Did you need one?:-)
The Poet 01:19 PM 11-21-2009
Just my :-), and worth every penny, but for $25 you could buy a bundle of decent cigars that would likely contain the exact same amount of "pre-embarge" Cuban tobacco - namely, zero. I have little faith in these claims made every year or two that someone "discovered" a few bales of pre-embargo Cuban leaf that survived not only the half-century preceeding but also the shortage crunch of the Boom years. It does not compute.
[Reply]
tobii3 01:29 PM 11-21-2009
3 for $39.99.

I'll buy more of these than any Tat Frank/Boris/Drac that's priced the same.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 01:32 PM 11-21-2009
I think it would be hard to taste tobacco that aged over the corojo wrapper and the other filler and stuff... The thing about truly aged cigars is that they are aged as a cigar, not just one component...
[Reply]
roughrider 02:23 PM 11-21-2009
I'd rather pick up some Padron or Opus at that price range than take a chance with Camacho.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 02:53 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by roughrider:
I'd rather pick up some Padron or Opus at that price range than take a chance with Camacho.
I'd rather get a little of all three. Mac was asking if they are any good, not if they are better than anything else.:-)

Why not have variety? I don't know about anyone else here, but I enjoy trying many different things and I think the PE is worth trying. I found it to have a "different" variety of flavor I couldn't quite put my finger on. For what it is, it's definitely worth at least one try.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 03:20 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Flavor? It had that vintage tobacco taste.
Just curious what is that "vintage tobacco taste" and how does one identify it?
[Reply]
mariogolbee 04:16 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Just curious what is that "vintage tobacco taste" and how does one identify it?
Since you seem to be very curious why don't you smoke one and find out? I can't really describe it but it's the same hint of something that I've tried in a few other cigar's with a butt load of age. The Partagas Decadas comes to mind. It was the only good flavor in there. The rest of the Decadas sucked IMO.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 04:34 PM 11-21-2009
I liked it, good flavor and strength.

I received it from a great brother....would I buy more, yes!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 04:41 PM 11-21-2009
Mario, I have a smoked a load of old cigars, main reason I was curious about your statement since at no time did any old cigar give me a "vintage" tobacco profile. A certain provenance profile, yes, but at no time "vintage".

And for the price, I will not be buying any of so called "pre-embargo" sticks since there is absolutely nothing 'pre" in them save for open lies in their marketing. I just wish some attorney took Camacho and TTB to court, should be an easy case.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 04:57 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Mario, I have a smoked a load of old cigars, main reason I was curious about your statement since at no time did any old cigar give me a "vintage" tobacco profile. A certain provenance profile, yes, but at no time "vintage".

And for the price, I will not be buying any of so called "pre-embargo" sticks since there is absolutely nothing 'pre" in them save for open lies in their marketing. I just wish some attorney took Camacho and TTB to court, should be an easy case.
Interesting. I was unaware that one could get a "provenance" profile from smoking a cigar. I thought provenance would likely be obtained from documentation. I was trying to describe to the best of MY unexperienced ability what I could in an attempt to be helpful.

I'm glad you cleared up your intentions because I simply thought you were being a smart a$$. I'm certainly glad you've cleared this up for me though. I do think it is sad that you would wish ill will upon another with your attorney comment though. perhaps if you feel so strongly about the PE issue you should become proactively involved in it.
[Reply]
sodomanaz 05:20 PM 11-21-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Anyone had one of these sticks? Would love to hear thoughts from those that have tried it.

How was it?
Flavor?
Worth the $ 25 a stick?
Overhyped?
Would you smoke it again?
I bought about 12 of these during a cigar.com one day deal. Paid around $3 or 4 a stick if I remember correctly. They've been sitting for nearly a year.

It was an ok cigar. It had a different taste, but nothing I would consider to be Cuban.

There was a hint of something I couldn't put my finger on. Not sure if that was good or bad.

Definitely not worth $25 a stick. $3-5 is what I would sit it at.

Nothing really special.

Would I smoke it again? I still have three left just sitting. So probably.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up