Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>The Quest for Perfect Humidity
RazzBarlow 11:46 AM 02-04-2010
It all started simply enough. I was new to cigar smoking. I bought a humidor at the Orange County swap meet for the staggering sum of $30.00. It had a pretty, shiny finish and was cedar-lined, just like the experts said I needed. I asked the fella who sold me that box of dreams "What humidity should I store my cigars at?" His eyes lit up and he gave me the "70% humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me the propylene glycol solution for my puck humidification device.

Here's where the trouble starts...

The humidity isn't 70%. It's 65%, then it's 75%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the puck. Then more solution in the puck. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...ask for advice. I tell the fella behind the counter my problem and his eyes light up. He gives me the "analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me a digital hygrometer for my little humidor.

The humidity isn't 70%. It's 68%, then it's 72%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the puck. Then more solution in the puck. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...ask for advice. I tell the fella behind the counter my problem and his eyes light up. He gives me the "puck humidifiers don't work" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me a diamond crown humidifier for my little humidor.

I'm starting to get the feeling this guy promotes Diamond Crown products.

I find these cigar forums on the computer. They have these experts. I start listening to these experts. They say that I shouldn't be storing my cigars at 70 degrees and 70% RH. I should be storing them at 65% humidity. I feel betrayed. That guy at the cigar shop was supposed to be an expert. He gave me bad information. He doesn't know what these cigar gods on CigarAsylum know. So, I slide the little windows further closed on the humidifier to bring my humidity down. And they're right! My cigars do smoke better. I have a smoother draw, fewer burn problems and an overall better smoking experience. Now, they're REALLY cigar gods at CigarAsylum!

I get a new, bigger humidor from Waxing Moon. It's a beauty! It's got trays inside it, it's a joy to look at! But it's bigger than my other humidor. Clearly, I will need to open up some of those little windows on my humidifier. I patiently season the humidor and load it up with it's precious cargo.

The humidity isn't 65%. It's 63%, then it's 68%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the humidifier. Then more solution in the humidifier. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...WAIT! I'm not gonna do that again! I'm going to turn to those cigar gods. They will know what to do! I see over and over again that I should get beads. The cigar gods have spoken, I must get beads.

I go on to the website for Heartfelt and do the calculus algorithms required to calculate the amount of beads for my humidor. Following the advice of the cigar gods, I get twice the amount of beads required for my humidor so that it will recover quickly when I open the humidor. I buy the large 65% beadcase and attach it to the inside lid of my humidor and wait patiently.

The humidity isn't 65%. It's 64%, then it's 67%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! Those guys on CigarAsylum don't know what they're talking about! I feel betrayed. I did everything they said. I got the beads. I got more than was required. I used distilled water.

I'm depressed.

I can't even bear to look at my precious cargo that I'm sure is ruined. 3 days pass, then 5, then 8. Finally, I must look at the carnage that surely resides in my beautiful humidor. I open the lid and my jaw drops...those two little digits stare at me with their electronic gaze. I see that beautiful 6 nestled up against 5. I have finally achieved the perfect humidity!! Angels sing, light from the heavens basks down upon my humidor. I feel a need to celebrate! I reach in and grab one of those Padron 64s I love so much. I go and sit down on my patio and enjoy that luscious smoke.

As I walk back inside, I feel the urge to open the lid of my humidor and look at that gauge again. Trembling, I wait for it to pass. Don't do it! You've been blessed with the gift of Perfect Humidity. You know that gift is precious. It can only be gazed upon on those rare special occasions. Have faith, young warrior. Those special digits will be there for you when you pluck that precious cargo from it's slumber the next time. If you look for it too many times, it will not be there for you!

Here's where the pleasure starts...
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:54 AM 02-04-2010
I don't worry about small fluctuations in humidity. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed.

I just make sure the 65% beads are moist.
[Reply]
marge796 11:55 AM 02-04-2010
A good set of beads and a little bit of patience is all it takes. Enjoy your new humidor and 65% RH!

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
issues 11:58 AM 02-04-2010

Now that's a great story Marshall! :-)

You're lucky you don't live down here. The humidity goes UP when I open my humidor!
[Reply]
RazzBarlow 11:59 AM 02-04-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I don't worry about small fluctuations in humidity. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed.

I just make sure the 65% beads are moist.
Subtlety is kinda lost on you, isn't it? That kinda was the point of my long story.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:02 PM 02-04-2010
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow:
Subtlety is kinda lost on you, isn't it? That kinda was the point of my long story.
:-) It is the afternoon and I am not awake yet :-)
[Reply]
mcmoyer 12:19 PM 02-04-2010
Very entertaining...thanks for the post of your quest!!

[Reply]
captain53 12:23 PM 02-04-2010
Good Beads & Accurate Hygro then smoke more and worry less. Been there and it will drive you crazy and really not that big of a deal. Also, the more you play peek-a-boo with the hygro the worse the problem will be.:-)

I am no expert for sure but been fooling around with the disease for a long time and seems that as long as you stay 60% - 70% no harm will be done. Ideally 65%-70% range is great, I try to keep it around 67% to allow for fluctuations. There will always be fluctuations of a couple of points no matter what system you use, especially if you are opening and peeking. :-)

Again, expert idea - Smoke more and worry less!:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:29 PM 02-04-2010
Thanks for sharing a great story... We've all been there and can certainly identify with every word. After a while you won't care about the numbers nearly as much... just if you cigars are smoking like you want.
[Reply]
md4958 12:35 PM 02-04-2010
nice dog
[Reply]
RazzBarlow 12:42 PM 02-04-2010
[Reply]
captain53 12:46 PM 02-04-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
nice dog
[Reply]
GreekGodX 01:10 PM 02-04-2010
Very entertaining read :-) My bead expert is Shilala and nobody does beads like him! Nobody.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:30 PM 02-04-2010
Well written. I got a chuckle or two. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 01:36 PM 02-04-2010
Great read and solid beads! :-)

Too bad most hyrgros don't have decimal places, huh? :-)
[Reply]
sepp 01:38 PM 02-04-2010
Well done! Nice Read.
[Reply]
Razorhog 01:50 PM 02-04-2010
Fantastic post that takes me back to the days of getting my first humidor. Now I try to keep it in the 60's but I'm not too concerned about it reading dead on. My vinotemp no longer cools, but it holds humidity LIKE A CHAMP. The RH basically doesn't change unless you open the door - it sat on 68% for almost an entire year. My vicksburg humidor has to be re-hydrated every few weeks in the winter and less often in the summer. I use 65% beads.
Anyway, just want to say again - great post, really enjoyed it.
[Reply]
bobarian 02:13 PM 02-04-2010
Great post. Pretty much summarizes everyone's first experience with a humidor and cigars. Today, I'm pretty sure two of my 5 hygrometers have dead batteries, another one fell to the bottom of a cooler and the other two are just kinda there for kicks. Trust in the power of the Force! Beads are the answer. :-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 02:27 PM 02-04-2010
Been there too. To an extent. I find that a lot of cigars in a humi, or cooler tend to regulate the humidity as well as anything else.

Seriously.

At least that's my excuse.
[Reply]
Starz26 02:33 PM 02-04-2010
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow:
I get a new, bigger humidor from Waxing Moon. It's a beauty!
Talk about a beautiful way to upgrade your first humi!!! :-)

Originally Posted by ucla695:

Too bad most hyrgros don't have decimal places, huh? :-)
Sadomasticist
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up