Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Received my Palio today
Mugen910 02:08 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by ChasDen:
The Palio is indeed a fine cutter.

I purchased a Xikar Xi Cutter a while back to use for the every day stuff,
fits in pocket better and cuts a bigger RG cigar better.
I do use both though and think they each have advantages and disadvantages.
If sitting around the kitchen table and lighting a smaller RG cigar after a meal,
the Palio is what I grab :-)

Chas
such a diplomat you are Chas. :-)
[Reply]
junkinduck 02:57 PM 01-29-2010
I have been wanting the burl.
[Reply]
WyGuy 04:05 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by junkinduck:
IMO, the best looking Palio!
[Reply]
stevieray 06:21 PM 01-29-2010
I bought my Palio in 11/2006 during a group buy at the old CS site. It's the only cutter I have used since then and still cuts as good as the first time. Money well spent IMO. :-)
[Reply]
XTRazzer 08:44 AM 02-03-2010
I didn't realize what I was missing until I got my Palio. While I looked at the Xikar I just couldn't get used to the scissor type action. The Swiss Army cigar knife is my other "go to" tool with three punch sizes.

I recommend supporting RonC at CigarSolutions if your looking for one.
[Reply]
G G 08:48 AM 02-03-2010
I am hitting my wife up for one of the Palio's for my birthday. Gotta wait til May though.:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:57 AM 02-03-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
I am hitting my wife . . . .
You're a brute. :-)
[Reply]
GKitty 09:10 AM 02-03-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
I am hitting my wife.
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You're a brute. :-)
:-) I'm sure she hits back.

I was gifted a Palio in Dec. Love it!!
[Reply]
junkinduck 02:35 PM 02-03-2010
I ordered a burl from cigarmony today. I can't wait to get it. I was going to buy from my B&M but just haven't made the 75 mile trip. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger today.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 08:09 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by junkinduck:
I saw that one for the first time a couple of weeks ago...that is one sexy cutter. I have a cutter from Cuban Crafters...works well, but I'm thinking about scooping a Palio to see if there is a difference.
[Reply]
issues 08:28 AM 02-11-2010
Can anyone give me an idea on how large a rg the Palio can cut?

I smoke a lot of larger rg sticks and want to make sure this cutter can handle it before I commit.

I would like to know what ring gage it can cut in half as well as how large of a rg it can shave.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help...

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:43 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by issues:

I smoke a lot of larger rg sticks and want to make sure this cutter can handle it before I commit.

I would like to know what ring gage it can cut in half as well as how large of a rg it can shave.

Don't wait, Tony. Just go ahead and get one. If on the VERY odd chance you don't love it, someone here will take it off your hands, I'm sure.
I've had my share of Palio's and it's the only cutter I don't own now. I covered the "off chance". I didn't like it because my hands are clumsy and it always pinched me in the soft web of my thumb. A couple bleeders and I wasn't feeling the love. :-)
I have every type of Xikar available, including the mammoth, and my favorite cutter is a cheesy "Cohiba" cuban crafters type guilloting cutter that the cigar doesn't pass though. It works perfect every time, even if the cuts aren't all that great. I'm not too excitable about the straightness of the cut because I chew my cigars anyways.
My second favorite is my purple starburst xikar, or whatever it's called. I just love looking at it. I wish they had a stainless or titanium cutter. I'd be all over that. :-)
[Reply]
issues 09:29 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Don't wait, Tony. Just go ahead and get one. If on the VERY odd chance you don't love it, someone here will take it off your hands, I'm sure.
I've had my share of Palio's and it's the only cutter I don't own now. I covered the "off chance". I didn't like it because my hands are clumsy and it always pinched me in the soft web of my thumb. A couple bleeders and I wasn't feeling the love. :-)
I have every type of Xikar available, including the mammoth, and my favorite cutter is a cheesy "Cohiba" cuban crafters type guilloting cutter that the cigar doesn't pass though. It works perfect every time, even if the cuts aren't all that great. I'm not too excitable about the straightness of the cut because I chew my cigars anyways.
My second favorite is my purple starburst xikar, or whatever it's called. I just love looking at it. I wish they had a stainless or titanium cutter. I'd be all over that. :-)
I may just do that! :-)

The reason I ask is that I have been known to cut a large Churchill in half to smoke half now and half later.

I too am a bit clumsy and have had my fair share of nasty pinches from double-bladed guillotines.

That's why I've been looking at the Montecristo Slimline Cutter AKA Montecristo Samurai Cutter as well. It can cut up to a 60rg in half and it looks like there is minimal chance of pinching. The problem is I don't believe they are guaranteed for life and if I'm going to spend $40 on a cutter I want to make sure it will last long enough to justify the purchase (plus not bleed me). :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:17 AM 02-11-2010
I may just do that! :-)

The reason I ask is that I have been known to cut a large Churchill in half to smoke half now and half later.

I too am a bit clumsy and have had my fair share of nasty pinches from double-bladed guillotines.

That's why I've been looking at the Montecristo Slimline Cutter AKA Montecristo Samurai Cutter as well. It can cut up to a 60rg in half and it looks like there is minimal chance of pinching. The problem is I don't believe they are guaranteed for life and if I'm going to spend $40 on a cutter I want to make sure it will last long enough to justify the purchase (plus not bleed me). :-)
Xikar makes a little keychain multitool scissors deal that would work great for cutting. Cuban Crafters has a guillotine goofy scissor, too.
The reason I mention that is that we have a saying "use the right tool for the right job". I don't think Palio's intent is for us to chop cigars in half with the cutter. For all the more you do it, Tony, it wouldn't hurt to have a good pair of cigar scissors lying around. I'd send you a pair but I just gave both mine to my girlfriend. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:55 AM 02-11-2010
I really like my Xikar cutter and I use a Cuban Crafters as a backup, but after reading all the raves about Palio and then seeing this Escencia Deal I ordered the sampler and cutter from Two Guys Smoke Shop. Not sure if they still have any more these.

The cigars turned out to be great; have not used the cutter yet, but I will get around to it one of these days.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:05 AM 02-11-2010

http://www.paliocutter.com/precision.htm

Large Cutter Opening – Handles up to 60 ring cigars
[Reply]
pnoon 11:14 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
http://www.paliocutter.com/precision.htm

Large Cutter Opening – Handles up to 60 ring cigars
Correct, Luke.
But I doubt it will be able to cut a larger RG cigar in half like Tony wants to. Cigars were not meant to be cut in half. Consequently, cutters are not designed (encircling the entire cigar) for doing so either.
[Reply]
shilala 11:39 AM 02-11-2010
Correct, Luke.
But I doubt it will be able to cut a larger RG cigar in half like Tony wants to. Cigars were not meant to be cut in half. Consequently, cutters are not designed (encircling the entire cigar) for doing so either.
Peter, Cuban Crafters makes a pair exactly as you described.
It encircles the entire cigar and has three guillotines that pressure from each side evenly. They look like they're made for exactly that purpose, because they're pretty much worthless for snipping a cap unless you're extremely dextrous.
Now you went and made me look stuff up. :-)
Here's my favorite cutter in the world.
Here's the one I've been blathering about. V
[Reply]
pnoon 11:45 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Peter, Cuban Crafters makes a pair exactly as you described.
It encircles the entire cigar and has three guillotines that pressure from each side evenly. They look like they're made for exactly that purpose, because they're pretty much worthless for snipping a cap unless you're extremely dextrous.
Now you went and made me look stuff up. :-)
Here's my favorite cutter in the world.
Here's the one I've been blathering about. V
You are a wealth of knowledge, Scott. What I meant was the traditional single/double guillotine cutters were not designed for encircling the cigar. And while the Cuban Crafters triple is able to encircle the entire cigar, cigars were not meant to be cut in half.
[Reply]
shilala 11:51 AM 02-11-2010
You are a wealth of knowledge, Scott. What I meant was the traditional single/double guillotine cutters were not designed for encircling the cigar. And while the Cuban Crafters triple is able to encircle the entire cigar, cigars were not meant to be cut in half.
I know what you mean, my brother. :-)
It's pretty cool though, right? :-)
Some of the big hoglegs I've gotten along the way I've often thought "Man, I wish I could cut this in half." Never have, and I've wasted lots of cigar. That big cigar thing has pushed me more and more to smaller rings and smaller sizes. It's pretty bad when a robusto is too big, and that's pretty much where I'm at. I love a toro, but I can't find time to smoke one unless it's summertime (or close to it).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up