Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Storage Upgrade Suggestions?
Kreth 04:53 PM 10-21-2009
Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
T.G 05:04 PM 10-21-2009
I've seen people use the plastic bins/trays that you would use to hold pencils and stuff to hold singles. Personally, I have a few old boxes that I toss singles into. 5-packs, either put the cigars in a box, or just open the bag and toss it in the cooler somewhere.

For a 75qt cooler, you probably don't need oust fans. :-)

----EDIT
adding picture of plastic basket/tray to avoid confusion:

6"x5"x3"
[Reply]
longknocker 05:08 PM 10-21-2009
Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!:-)
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:10 PM 10-21-2009
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:12 PM 10-21-2009
Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!
[Reply]
Kreth 05:29 PM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!:-)
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!
I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
RonC 05:30 PM 10-21-2009
please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75
[Reply]
Kreth 05:57 PM 10-21-2009
Originally Posted by RonC:
please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75
That was one of the sites I found in my research. The closest Sam's Club is a bit over an hour away. We have a Wal Mart and BJ's locally.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:32 PM 10-23-2009
I have a couple coleman coolers I use . I believe they said something like 8 day cooler , meaning ice will last 8 days . Which to me means better insulation inside and a better seal when closed . Always rock solid at 65% with my Heartfelt beads . They have a ledge inside that the trays from bargainhumidors.com fit perfectly on also . If all you can swing is a smaller cooler right now that is still better then nothing . :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:36 PM 10-23-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.
:-) Just leave the bags cracked open a little and stack them :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:11 PM 10-23-2009
I have mostly trays, old boxes and the occasional 5-finger bag for single storage. I've also seen others use tupperware without the lid.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:32 PM 10-23-2009
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm gonna try and make it to WM and BJ's tomorrow, unless of course the rain holds off and I can golf. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 04:11 AM 10-24-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?

I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeff, I Have 1 72 Qt. Coleman & 2 48 Qt. Igloo Marines. Marines were around $30 A Piece at Wally World If I Remember Correctly.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:37 AM 10-24-2009
:-)

[Reply]
Zanaspus 10:43 AM 10-24-2009
I also buy mostly 5ers but like the extra buffering of cedar. A local B&M sells empty wooden boxes at $2 a pop, so I just filled mine up with that. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 11:01 AM 10-24-2009
From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
pnoon 11:05 AM 10-24-2009
Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
I use empty boxes for singles storage. I had been doing that for a few years. Just recently, I bought to cedar trays and like them very much.

If you are in and out of your cooler regularly, you don't need a fan. I have two coolers and one is for longer term storage which is rarely opened. I use one fan in there. The other cooler is opened at least once or twice a week - sometimes more. Absolutely no need for a fan in that one.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:59 AM 10-24-2009
From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.
[Reply]
Slavac 01:49 PM 10-24-2009
So you have <130 cigars.

Anyone have Kreth's address?
[Reply]
Slavac 01:49 PM 10-24-2009
Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.
To add on, I've had both an empty 100qt cooler and a near full one. It held RH rock solid with Heartfelt beads and no fan.

I simply put my loose sticks in spare cigar boxes I get for free from a local B&M.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up