Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 159
« First < 456 781656106 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
MNSmoker 04:12 PM 11-19-2008
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
Working through the Vince Flynn novels right now :-)
Vince Flynn is one of my favorite authors. I'm in the middle of his latest book, "Extreme Measures" right now. Mitch Rapp is a badass. :-)
[Reply]
:eevis 04:50 PM 11-19-2008
Just finished re-reading "Stingray Shuffle" by Tim Dorsey. Serge Storms is one of the most demented and funny characters in a book I have ever come across. I have to assume that these are great reads for any Floridians because of the quirky Florida tie-ins

:-):-):-):-)
Four Rollies out of four
[Reply]
Cigargal 06:31 PM 11-19-2008
Just finished Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Great mystery-makes me want to read the Three Musketeers again.

Starting The Private Patient by P.D. James-just came out this week.
[Reply]
Cigargal 06:33 PM 11-19-2008
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
Forest Mage by Robin Hobb.
I have this series but haven't read it yet. I read some bad reviws of these books and find it hard to believe. Hobb is usually spot on with her tales. Let me know what you think.
[Reply]
Starscream 04:29 PM 11-20-2008
Just started on Go Ask Alice. Not a bad read so far.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:26 PM 11-27-2008
Hammer from Above: Marine Air Combat Over Iraq by Jay Stout
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:37 PM 11-27-2008
I just finished The First Commandment by Brad Thor. I am completely caught up on him now. What to read next?...
Originally Posted by PitmanGeek:
I started (and finished) Jar City by Arnaldur Indriđason this past Sunday. If you like crime thrillers, this one is indeed good. It had been quite a long time since I started and finished a book in one day, but I just couldn't put this one down.
Sounds good, I'm going to reserve this one at the library, and

Originally Posted by MNSmoker:
Vince Flynn is one of my favorite authors. I'm in the middle of his latest book, "Extreme Measures" right now. Mitch Rapp is a badass. :-)
Thanks for the heads up! I love Vince Flynn. He and Brad Thor are very similar. Scot Harvath and Mitch Rapp are both badasses! Going to reserve this one too. :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 10:47 PM 11-27-2008
A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle is my current read it is a pretty amazing book about human spirituality.

I am an avid read I eat up most any fiction. From Brad Thor to Grisham and all spectrums in between
[Reply]
MithShrike 07:02 AM 11-28-2008
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
I have this series but haven't read it yet. I read some bad reviws of these books and find it hard to believe. Hobb is usually spot on with her tales. Let me know what you think.
Well the character of Nevare is no FitzChivalry that's for sure. He's spoiled, more naive than is good for him, and refuses to acknowledge reality. These books are far more introspective and some of the major 'action' sequences are kind of more abstract than anything. Still, I like it. Unlike Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb can still write after releasing a few books.
[Reply]
Cigargal 06:30 PM 11-28-2008
Finished The Private Patient, by P.D. James and loved it.

Started Jewish Pirates of the Carribean.
[Reply]
PitmanGeek 01:08 PM 11-30-2008
Blaze – Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King)

A very enjoyable quick read from King. He writes that this was a book that he had in the can for many years, and he recently dusted it off. Not the usual King fare, I can see why he kept it under the Bachman pseudonym. Vaguely reminiscent of Raising Arizona in that it is a kidnapping gone bad… although you can’t help feeling sympathy for Blaze, the “dummy” who is able to pull off the kidnapping of a 6-month old with the help of his dead “brains” of the outfit (George). Blaze operates while hearing the voice of his dead friend in his head, giving him the sage advice he needs to pull off the feat.

I had to smile and laugh when Blaze makes the kidnapping call to the parents… collect, because he doesn’t have any change… and he gives the operator his name to use.

I would recommend this… especially to those who don’t normally read King novels.
[Reply]
PitmanGeek 01:14 PM 11-30-2008
I also just finished...

Mary, Mary – James Patterson

Another Richard Cross novel. Interesting in that Patterson is able to tie everything together by the end. A pretty easy and straight-forward read that is interesting in the ties to Hollywood. Probably a little too much time spent on Cross’ life and times, but overall a pretty good read, fits in well with all of the Cross series of thrillers.
[Reply]
PitmanGeek 01:17 PM 11-30-2008
On the flight to Vegas I finished:

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason

This was my second book by Indridason and I must say that I loved it as much as the first. This is the second in the Reykavik thriller series and the same detectives are at work again. I must say that the back stories and how they intermingle with the characters is the strength of his writing.

You get a complete understanding as to the environment of Iceland and it’s place in the world. He is able to tie in stories from the war eras and how they relate to modern day.

The protagonist (Erlandur) is a meaty character as well with enough baggage to have a series of stories on his own. His failings as a father and husband continue to haunt him even as his success as a detective soars.

There is something that I connect to with these novels… this was another single-seating read started and finished on the flight to Vegas.
[Reply]
PitmanGeek 01:19 PM 11-30-2008
On the flight back from Vegas:

Voices by Arnaldur Indridason

The third book in the Reykavik series is as good as the first two. The protagonist (Erlandur) is an entertaining character in his flaws and limitations. Indridason does a good job of integrating the back stories with the overall story. Believable and sincere, the tie-ins are what help make this another winner.

The story is of a child star (adolescent soprano) who loses his voice and loses his family in the process. Forty years after his success (two recordings), the child star turns up dead in the basement of a 4-star hotel dressed in a Santa suit. As unusual as it sounds, it is all made believable – especially in Iceland.
[Reply]
G G 01:29 PM 11-30-2008
A book called Promise Me, by Harlen Coben. Not a bad read so far.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:36 PM 11-30-2008
Just finished Go Ask Alice. Nott a bad read. Very motivational for teenagers.
[Reply]
SteveA 09:57 PM 12-02-2008
Working on the second volume of "The Civil War" by Shelby Foote.
[Reply]
Cigargal 08:45 PM 12-04-2008
I had never read a Michael Connelly book so I checked out his first Harry Bosch book, Black Echo.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:08 PM 12-04-2008
To Fat to Fish, the book written and about Artie Lange
[Reply]
Seanohue 09:29 PM 12-04-2008
I'm 1/3 of the way through The Monk; reading it for my Horror and Mystery Literature class.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 159
« First < 456 781656106 > Last »
Up