Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 89
« First < 345 671555 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
novasurf 12:41 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by :
Now Stagg, that stuff i'll use a couple drops of spring water or cube.
Uncut. Unfiltered. C'mon man....no ice. :-)
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 06:18 AM 11-18-2008
I was able to grab 4 out of the 5 bottles from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (2008) yesterday. The only one I didn't get was the William Laurie Weller. I'll check back with my shop today and the rest of the week to see if it comes in.
[Reply]
newcigarz 08:48 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro:
I was able to grab 4 out of the 5 bottles from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (2008) yesterday. The only one I didn't get was the William Laurie Weller. I'll check back with my shop today and the rest of the week to see if it comes in.
NIce!
[Reply]
gvarsity 08:49 AM 11-19-2008
Originally Posted by Jdbwolverines:
Two cheaper bourbons that are really good for the price are Evan Williams Single Barrel and Buffalo Trace. Both can be had for under $25 a fifth. They are good enough to drink straight and still keep enough to mix if you feel like it. For a bit more ~$40, I'd recommend Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Harder to find, but a great bourbon. Its aged 13 years, so it is a great whiskey, but still not too old were the price gets astronomical.
I'm with you and would add Eagle Rare are all great reasonably priced bourbons. I would add for mixing I keep a regular bottle of Evan Williams around. Best Bourbon and Coke I know of. Even better than using the Single Barrel partly because the EWSB & Coke gets to sweet and the nuances are lost anyway. Save the 6-7 bucks and mix the regular. We used take EW in a flask and mix it with & Coke at Hockey games. ahh I need season tickets again. I digress.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 02:59 PM 11-19-2008
There is one that I've hesitated to mention, as it is not available in the USA. However, it is excellent, very reasonably priced. A BOTL that I was trading with and did a couple of buys for from Canada, picked up a bottle for me, as well as a bottle of "Havana Club 7". It's a 10 yo "Alberta Springs". At 40%/80 proof, it's a very smooth, very complex, easy going bourbon, and has distinct honey nuances. In fact, I am almost done with my second bottle, and I no longer have the contact that I had. I hope to make a connection with another BOTL from Canada, for a trade, etc.
[Reply]
perogee 07:58 PM 11-20-2008
HHHMMMM, I have seen the 7 on the shelves, but have never tried it. I will have to look the next time I am in the store and perhaps try a bottle.
So far, I have not tried that many bourbons (considering most go $40 plus up here), but my favorite is Buffalo Trace.
[Reply]
perogee 08:13 PM 11-20-2008
And Alberta Springs is the bar standard around these parts :-). We tend to go for the Crown Royal if we want something a little higher end for the ol' rye and coke (at least in my little corner of the woods)[and I guess it is technically not a bourbon, it is a rye]
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:42 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by perogee:
HHHMMMM, I have seen the 7 on the shelves, but have never tried it. I will have to look the next time I am in the store and perhaps try a bottle.
So far, I have not tried that many bourbons (considering most go $40 plus up here), but my favorite is Buffalo Trace.
Remember now, the Havana Club 7 is a Rum, not a bourbon! I've heard and read many good thing about the 7, however, for me, it's not very impressive.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:47 PM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by perogee:
And Alberta Springs is the bar standard around these parts :-). We tend to go for the Crown Royal if we want something a little higher end for the ol' rye and coke (at least in my little corner of the woods)[and I guess it is technically not a bourbon, it is a rye]
Well, I'll tell ya, at least for me, I much prefer Aberta Springs 10 over the standard Crown Royal anytime. Of course, everyone's taste is different. BTW, are there any other, longer aged, versions of Alberta Springs?
[Reply]
MithShrike 10:22 PM 11-20-2008
Anyone have Stagg in their area? I wasn't able to get any this season. :-)
[Reply]
Heatmiser 04:57 PM 11-21-2008
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
Anyone have Stagg in their area? I wasn't able to get any this season. :-)
Did you check Sportsmans in Scottsdale? They usually get some. Last year I got mine at the BevMo in Mesa by the Bass Pro Shops store. Maybe check there if you haven't already. Good luck!
[Reply]
perogee 08:03 PM 11-21-2008
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Well, I'll tell ya, at least for me, I much prefer Aberta Springs 10 over the standard Crown Royal anytime. Of course, everyone's taste is different. BTW, are there any other, longer aged, versions of Alberta Springs?
I have heard that they have done a 25yr in the past, but have not personally seen any. Definitely something to keep an eye open for.
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:14 PM 11-25-2008
Mith, I can get some Stagg, how many bottles do you want? It's about $68 and change up here in Michigan. PM sent.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:16 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by gvarsity:
I'm with you and would add Eagle Rare are all great reasonably priced bourbons. I would add for mixing I keep a regular bottle of Evan Williams around. Best Bourbon and Coke I know of. Even
better than using the Single Barrel partly because the EWSB & Coke gets to sweet and the nuances are lost anyway. Save the 6-7 bucks and mix the regular. We used take EW in a flask and mix it with & Coke at Hockey games. ahh I need season tickets again. I digress.

I agree 100 . I can get a fifth of black label EW for $11. It makes a fne Boubon and coke. The EWSB ( I am enjoying one right now) is great on its own.

Did you also know tat in 1964 when LBJ was in office, Bourbon was declared " A distinctive prodct of the US" and was recognized by Congress as "America's Native Spirit".
[Reply]
gabebdog1 09:35 PM 11-25-2008
cosco gots a 3 pack for the holidays booker,bakers ,bayzel haydens for 89.99
[Reply]
Scottw 09:42 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by gabebdog1:
cosco gots a 3 pack for the holidays booker,bakers ,bayzel haydens for 89.99
Not bad, all 750 ml bottles?
[Reply]
Jdbwolverines 12:35 AM 11-28-2008
Originally Posted by gvarsity:
I'm with you and would add Eagle Rare are all great reasonably priced bourbons. I would add for mixing I keep a regular bottle of Evan Williams around. Best Bourbon and Coke I know of. Even better than using the Single Barrel partly because the EWSB & Coke gets to sweet and the nuances are lost anyway. Save the 6-7 bucks and mix the regular. We used take EW in a flask and mix it with & Coke at Hockey games. ahh I need season tickets again. I digress.
Black Label EW is great for mixing, but I would say Rebel Yell is even better. Better than regular EW and just as cheap or even cheaper. Just harder to find, especially in areas of the country where hockey is played.
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 04:03 PM 11-28-2008
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/for...isplaybottling
us bourbon men must stick together :-)

awesome info on this site-
[Reply]
tech-ninja 06:42 PM 11-29-2008
Great thread. This led me to go to my local place and they had three of the Buffalo Trace Antique edition. I got the George Stagg. Got home. That stuff is 141 proof!!! Tastes good though.

Thinking heavily about swinging by tomorrow and picking up the other two kinds.

I paid $50 bucks for mine. Is that about right?

They had the RVW 20 year for $100. didn't get that though
[Reply]
Heatmiser 08:20 PM 11-30-2008
Originally Posted by tech-ninja:
I paid $50 bucks for mine. Is that about right?

They had the RVW 20 year for $100. didn't get that though
$50 is a great price for any of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles. Go get the William Larue Weller and the Thomas Handy rye if they still have them. These 3 are must haves. Each is straight from the barrel, barrel proof and unfiltered.

Pass on the Pappy Van Winle 20. $100 isn't that great of a price and you are better off buying the Pappy 15 year. The 20 is over-oaked (to long in the barrel) in my opinion. Just my :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 89
« First < 345 671555 > Last »
Up