Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New Humidor: Beads or Cigar oasis
docdoty 05:29 PM 11-13-2010
I just ordered a new 600ct humidor and I am debating on what to use for the humidification system in it. It will be here next week so I have to order a system for it. Just wanted to know what you'll think about using either a cigar oasis or RH beads. Thanks for your help.
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:53 PM 11-13-2010
Personally I would probably do an Oasis, the cost of beads will run almost as much as a small Oasis unit anyway. I personally have had bad luck with beads, so maybe I am a bit biased. Just my 2 cents I guess.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:07 PM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by docdoty:
I just ordered a new 600ct humidor and I am debating on what to use for the humidification system in it. It will be here next week so I have to order a system for it. Just wanted to know what you'll think about using either a cigar oasis or RH beads. Thanks for your help.
Justin

I think a 600 count is on the edge of where you should consider active humidification. Possibly even a combination of both. Beads are a reliable, tried-and-true means of maintaining humidity.

Your best bet is to see what more experienced folks have to say.

:-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:00 PM 11-13-2010
I have a 1500 count cabinet that I have 2lbs of Shilala's beads in. Didn't need anything more during the summer. With winter coming and the furnace on, the humidity is dropping so I will be looking to put my Hydra XL1000 back in.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:19 PM 11-13-2010
How often do you run your heat in the winter in Lubbock? I have an end table (1500 count???) and need the active humidification in the Jersey heating season (Oasis).
[Reply]
docdoty 09:48 PM 11-13-2010
It gets cold here so the furnace is an quite a bit. I was reading about the small hydra and it doesn't seem as reliable as the oasis. What r Ur shouts about them. Thanks
[Reply]
chippewastud79 11:11 PM 11-13-2010
Too small for active humidification. Get beads and you'll be fine. :-)
[Reply]
joeobx 06:09 AM 11-14-2010
Justin, I have a Montegue that I just use beads in, in the winter I just have to add water to them a little more often.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:05 AM 11-14-2010
I think the choice of active versus passive (beads) humidification has a lot to do with the ambient temperature and humidity both inside and outside your home. If you live in a temperate area then you can easily get by with passive humidification. If it's dry or cold outside and you have to use heat (or A/C) a lot then active humidification can help you out a lot.
[Reply]
docdoty 12:00 PM 11-14-2010
The weather here in west texas is very dry and hot in the summer and It also gets cold in the winter months.
[Reply]
joeobx 12:07 PM 11-14-2010
You can always try just beads and if that doesn't work add active later.:-)
[Reply]
docdoty 09:10 PM 12-01-2010
So I went with Heartfelt beads and they have been in my humidor for about a week now. They seem to be working great so far. I am very happy with them and now the only problem I have is I am once again out of room. Looks like Ill be buying a cooler until I can save up the money to get and Aristocrat from Bob. Thanks for all your insight.
[Reply]
joeobx 09:35 PM 12-01-2010
Dammmmm filled in less than a month !! :-):-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:47 AM 12-02-2010
like other have suggested to me and i will be moving toward next summer. Both would be the perfect overkill. The oasis will be great in the winter when the heat is on, which removes alot of RH from the air. But if the power goes out they stop working and dont come right back on when it comes back. You must open it up and turn it back on. What if you on vacation or something at that time? Your collection could get ruined.

Now with the beads you wont have that worry but you may need the oasis in the dry winter months. Also the oasis has a built in fan which help keep air moving around inside the humidor. Sure this route might be alittle expensive but it will be highly effective and fail-safe should the power go out. :-)

[Reply]
Bill86 02:54 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
like other have suggested to me and i will be moving toward next summer. Both would be the perfect overkill. The oasis will be great in the winter when the heat is on, which removes alot of RH from the air. But if the power goes out they stop working and dont come right back on when it comes back. You must open it up and turn it back on. What if you on vacation or something at that time? Your collection could get ruined.

Now with the beads you wont have that worry but you may need the oasis in the dry winter months. Also the oasis has a built in fan which help keep air moving around inside the humidor. Sure this route might be alittle expensive but it will be highly effective and fail-safe should the power go out. :-)

Or if you are in the market for anything less than 750 sticks just go with beads and a cooler. Much cheaper and no need for active humidification. Beads work like a charm. I've learned from everyone posting here....skip the desktops, skip the end tables. Coolers then an aristocrat. You'll save so much $$$ and have way more cigars in the end. Luckily my slip up with a desktop only cost me like $160-$185. I could set the thing on fire right now out of principle. What a waste.

[Reply]
bajaraider 09:18 AM 12-29-2010
How are those beads holding up so far?
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:53 AM 12-29-2010
One suggestion I didn't see mentioned (i may have missed it) is to add a small battery powered fan along with beads. Its not true active humidification but will help circulate the air and keep the humidity consistent throughout. We all have used Oust Fans in the past but I think I may have seen another brand on store shelves recently and had I not been trying to keep my kids from destroying the store I would have stopped an looked. I also seem to remember some members making fan boxes out of computer fans and empty cigar SLBs.
[Reply]
docdoty 10:09 AM 12-29-2010
The beads are great heartfelt are awesome so far. I'll have to get one of those fans Albert. But right now the beads are at a constant 67% I like that I don't really have to do anything to them for the most part. I have only added distilled water once since I hat them.
[Reply]
Gymrite 10:30 AM 12-29-2010
I have a tower with 1 pound of HCM beads 65% and one pound of Heartflelt beads 65% in the top portion. In the bottom I have a Hydra XL. I have the Hydra set at 68%. Works real well for me. I have the tower in the basement where I use a Buck Stove for heat, very dry.
[Reply]
Up